AP expiration

Yep. The expiration date is the last day it can be used.

If you purchase or activate an AP on 3 April 2018 the expiration date is 3 April 2019.

Approximately true, but...
If you merely PURCHASE an AP, the date is irrelevant (except for making advance FP+ reservations, which can be done using only a purchased, but unactivated AP certificate.)

It's only the date that you ACTIVATE that AP that matters concerning the useful life of the AP.
An AP can only be activated in-person at WDW.

(And, yes, you CAN purchase and activate the AP on the same date, if you are physically at WDW to do so.)

Approximately true, but...
If you merely PURCHASE an AP, the date is irrelevant (except for making advance FP+ reservations, which can be done using only a purchased, but unactivated AP certificate.)

It's only the date that you ACTIVATE that AP that matters concerning the useful life of the AP.
An AP can only be activated in-person at WDW.

(And, yes, you CAN purchase and activate the AP on the same date, if you are physically at WDW to do so.)

Yes I was using "purchase" to mean an in-person purchase and use of the AP, as opposed to the purchase of a certificate (which is why I said purchase or activate). If I go to a ticket window and ask to purchase an AP they are not going to assume I mean a certificate to activate later (you would have to specify that).

Yes I was using "purchase" to mean an in-person purchase and use of the AP, as opposed to the purchase of a certificate (which is why I said purchase or activate). If I go to a ticket window and ask to purchase an AP they are not going to assume I mean a certificate to activate later (you would have to specify that).

However. There is a new wrinkle in this procedure that can make a difference for a guest buying a new AP...

It used to be that when you went to a WDW ticket window (or Guest Relations) and bought an AP (and did not specify that you wanted just an AP "certificate)
you left the booth with a fully activated AP (that had an anniversary date one year from the day that you bought that activated AP.)

NOW, a guest can purchase an AP and/or "activate" the AP at WDW ticket window (or Guest Relations) and that AP
will NOT actually be fully "activated" (the year won't start "counting down") unless and until that guest takes the AP
to a park and enters the gates using it. (That may be a day or so later.)

A subtle (but, in many cases, significant) change.

NOW, a guest can purchase an AP and/or "activate" the AP at WDW ticket window (or Guest Relations) and that AP
will NOT actually be fully "activated" (the year won't start "counting down") unless and until that guest takes the AP
to a park and enters the gates using it. (That may be a day or so later.)

A subtle (but, in many cases, significant) change.

That's interesting, so what is the date on that AP then? Or did they stop putting dates on them?

That's interesting, so what is the date on that AP then?

Or did they stop putting dates on them?

Looks to be the case.
The AP anniversary date will be found in the guest's MDX account, of course.
The guest must write the date, if (s)he wants it to be ON the AP card, itself.
(Also, the AP MagicBand, which most AP guests will use for admittance, wouldn't have a date on it, either.)

Last edited:
Can I still use my AP to enter a park on the day it expires?

I've done it several times. Just be prepared for the fact that often the CMs at the entrance will comment, admiring you for getting the most out of your AP. That's happened to me almost every time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter