AP Question? Can we still buy one?

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Sorry I have been out of the loop since Feb with all the covid changes going on. I currently have an AP and we plan on going in Oct and then again in Dec. Can my DH and sons buy an AP or do we have to buy just normal park days tickets? My AP was set to expire in Dec but with all the closures they extended by expiration date to May. I didn't ask for a refund because I planned on returning a couple times by May. If we have to buy normal tickets are there any current discounts for DVC members?

Sorry if this has been asked several times. It's amazing all the new changes since last Feb there are. Hard to keep up. Thank you.

Currently, you can only renew an existing AP, not buy a new one. Disney has provided no time when it will agains start selling APs, and you should likely assume you need to buy a regular park ticket for both the Oct and Dec trips because you need them to reserve entry into the parks and, if you wait, the ability to reserve entry might disappear for one or more of your trip days.

You can renew an Annual Pass, but as @_auroraborealis_ stated no new APs are being sold. With the recent announcement that no water park will open before March 2021, Disney has stopped allowing AP renewals at the Platinum Plus level.

Thank you... That stinks... So much for a DVC perk but get it but don't like it.. :(

Thank you... That stinks... So much for a DVC perk but get it but don't like it.. :(

Just be aware that the decision was not made by DVC, but WDPR as they stopped them for all guests,

Outcome is not different, but just wanted to share exactly why they are not for sale...no one, including FL residents, can not get them.

I would add? DO NOT RENEW. When you CAN? Buy a NEW un-redeemed AP, good to 2030. And get any refund you can, on current passes.

A RENEWAL will start ticking on your renewal date. A NEW AP will start ticking on the day of first use.

The price differential is no longer worth the "dead park" risk.
"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong."

I would add? DO NOT RENEW. When you CAN? Buy a NEW un-redeemed AP, good to 2030. And get any refund you can, on current passes.

A RENEWAL will start ticking on your renewal date. A NEW AP will start ticking on the day of first use.

The price differential is no longer worth the "dead park" risk.
"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong."

it really all depends. Renewing works if you don’t have large gaps inbetween trips. Someone like me who is now going 6 to 8 times a year, renewing will make sense,

However, I agree that if you are going to have more than a 2 month gap then buying new may be better as it could get you through more years that way,

I did that. Got about 5 years of trips out of 3 passes since i placed my trips in such a way that it worked out.

But, I also think there is a benefit to keeping an unused voucher in your account as well in case this ever happens again!

Last edited:
Sorry I have been out of the loop since Feb with all the covid changes going on. I currently have an AP and we plan on going in Oct and then again in Dec. Can my DH and sons buy an AP or do we have to buy just normal park days tickets? My AP was set to expire in Dec but with all the closures they extended by expiration date to May. I didn't ask for a refund because I planned on returning a couple times by May. If we have to buy normal tickets are there any current discounts for DVC members?

Sorry if this has been asked several times. It's amazing all the new changes since last Feb there are. Hard to keep up. Thank you.
You might want to Watch this thread. If/when WDW starts selling APs again or announces anything about it, I’m sure it will be posted here quickly. https://www.disboards.com/threads/ap-only-info-thread-reservation-system-extensions-refunds.3798147/

It's situational. I just renewed mine with it now ending next October 10. I have trips planned for March, August and the end of next September, so it made sense for me to renew versus buying individual tickets for each trip.

So my husbands pass expired in June 25th 2020. His was extended until October 25th 2020. But since we are not going until June 23rd of 2021, He should not renew. We are also DVC owners with the blue card. Which does make it a little cheaper. But mine and the kids one's originally would have expired around January 20th 2021. But they have been extended until April of 2021. So we will have to renew them in or around April. Since we were suppose to have trip booked this past June. So now we have to play the waiting game on this. Our trip in June 2021 will be with 8 people. Four of which I still need to buy tickets for. We might wait and see what discounts they give out at that time. I love Disney but I don't really want to waste my money for an annual pass we will not use for a whole year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter