AP worth it for discounts?

Kt75

Mouseketeer
we are planning a May 2018 on site at moderate/deluxe resort. Thinking to get discounted park hopper tickets through FiL corporate discount. Is it worth getting an Annual pass for one of us so we can get discount on hotel stay? So if I get an AP, signup everyone on MDE website, can we get room discount? Looking to save $ for our family trip. We aren't too interested in dining discounts since half of family is vegan, so meals will be depending on our mood that day.

I have not found it to be worth it. There are usually discount room codes which will give you some discount without an AP. I only get an AP if I am going to the parks enough days to make it worthwhile.

Now, at Universal the cost of an AP is not much different than a 3 day ticket, so it is worth it there!

Thanks for the response, I was hoping to save the difference with AP the photopass cost and room stay.

There is also a merch discount. We saved quite a bit on the bubble wands and souvenirs.

Also, the dinging discount can add up even just for snacks, drinks, or dinner for some part of your party.

We just stayed a week and I got the annual pass, without a room discount, we still came out ahead.

I wouldn't purchase the AP solely for the room discounts. There are other benefits. To me the largest is the park ticket with hopper and photopass. If you'll be visiting alot (if a local.........all the time) or if you like us from NJ (we'll do 3 trips of 24 total park days) you can save money just due to the frequency of use. There's also discounts on dining and merchandise. Add to that extras regarding event tickets..........we got a 15% discount on the Keys to the Kingdom tour for our November trip with the AP. So when I added it ALL up I felt the AP was more than worth it.

BTW for our upcoming June trip we received a 33% discount on a room at the YC.......which was one of the largest available room discounts. Now I can save more renting DVC points but that didn't work out for this trip. Again its a personal decision but you should take into account all the possibilities.

Doug :goofy:

We also purchase the AP only if we plan on getting the days use out of it. If you see a good AP room discount that would save you money, you could always book it and buy the AP on arrival. So maybe wait to buy all of your tickets.

@blbrodger1 in reviewing mousesavers historical information for 2015 and 2016, it seems that discounts stop on 12/23............so the answer to your question is no. :oops:

Doug :goofy:

Its not sounding like you'll get that much benefit out of the AP...A lot depends upon how many days you think you'll be entering the park within that year. If you're just planning that one trip that a park hopper would cover, meaning 10 days or less, I can't see where you'd get enough discount even if you were lucky enough to get a 30% off room, which isn't easy to get. If you think you might be back within that year time frame, then its a whole different set of calculations.

Do not buy an AP for the discounts. Buy it for what you get out of it based on the direct benefits. If you get an added discount later, that is just a bonus.

We lucked out that in we just got APs for the first time last year, and was able to get a great deal on staying at the Wilderness Lodge. It was some insane discount that was with the AP Rate + some sort of discount because of construction we ended up staying there for roughly 175$ a night.

I too am looking at purchasing an AP. We are booked for next year already. I'm supposed to go on two Disney trips in 2018 (one in Feb and one in sept). I already have my tickets for Feb and the Sept trip is not guaranteed. Can I switch to AP even though I have park tickets already for next year? I haven't looked at the benefits yet of AP just yet to see what all is involved. But if I did switch, I'd save on park tickets for both trips (and if I did but don't go in Sept, it's a $200 loss for me).

We taking the big step in Feb 2018, while there for the Princess Half Marathon. Between the Memory Maker, possible room discount, merchandise discounts and definite return trip in November, it makes sense for us. I would not do it if a return trip was not all but a sure thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter