April 2018 Disney Roadtrip Exercise Challenge

Elizabeth Smith

DIS Veteran
Welcome to our April Exercise Challenge. This month, we'll take a virtual road trip from Disneyland in CA to Walt Disney World in FLA based on the team's percent to goal. The closer we get to goal, the further we'll be on the road trip!
:car:
If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back. If you’re new, welcome to the team. Here’s how the exercise tracking works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You decide what movement counts towards your goal. It can be a set monthly number or calculated based on a target number of minutes per day. Since March has 30 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 450
20 minutes/day = 600
30 minutes/day = 900
45 minutes/day = 1350
1 hour/day = 1800

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing. Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress. This month, we have:

"Bags packed" Blue - 10%
"On the way" Orange - 25%
"Passing through" Purple - 50%
"Pretty close" Pink - 75%
"Really close" Red - 90%
"Got here!" Green - 100%

I really struggled with the coming up with the color names this time around. :faint: LOL.

We’re officially starting this challenge on April 1 (well, technically April 2nd, since we're a little late), but if you don’t find this thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join. Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Team Members:

Elizabeth Smith -- 670/630 -- 106%
PollyannaMom -- 875/500 -- 175%
sophy1996 -- 1300/1200 -- 108%

piglet1979 -- 1059/900 -- 117%
Twilight Sparkle -- 1985/1800 -- 110%

Team Total: 5889/5030 -- 117%

Last edited:
Alright! With the team just starting out, we are still in Disneyland with 2,500 miles ahead of us on the way to WDW in Florida. A trip that would take 36 hours by car will take 30 days for us as we exercise our way from one coast to another!

While we're still in Anaheim, what sights do you want to see?
I'd like to take a walk up the Main Street USA in Disneyland!
Main-Street-USA-DL-99.jpg

And maybe check out Disney's California Adventure as well and see Mission Break Out!
guardians.jpg

:worship: Thank you for taking on hosting. - I love the new theme idea!!

I'm upping my goal to 500, but have no minutes for yesterday, as we were at my in-laws for Easter.

0/500

How fun!! This is a great theme.

I want to jump on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and the Alice ride before saying goodbye to LaLa Land.

In for 1200 for April.

From yesterday and today, 100 minutes.

100/1200

I am in again. It will be a crazy month so I am going to go with 900 minutes. On Sunday I got in 40 minutes (cooking and cleaning) and yesterday was a very lazy day but I did do 5 minutes of a butt/thigh app workout.

45/900

Hello team! We're on the road! Adding 20 minutes for myself from yesterday. Updating everyone we have so far, the team is already about 5% of the way to Disney World. (edited)

We had a grand time in LA and a lot of fun in Disneyland together!

But we're along the way now, about 150 miles east from the Golden Coast.
We've made it to Chiriaco Summit, CA, which is not much more than a rest stop! LOL.

However, nearby is the General Patton Memorial Museum. Click here to learn more about this!

In this post I had originally miscalculated and put us much further along the trip than we really were, oops. I may have gotten a little ahead of myself.
I had us visiting the Gila River Indian Community about 40 miles outside of Phoenix. Hold on to those thoughts for when we DO make it into Arizona though. Sorry everyone.

Last edited:

I want to visit the Koli Equestrian Center and go horseback riding!
What do you want to do?

DD and I would love to do the horseback riding. My grandparents had horses while growing up and I took lessons in my early 20's. DD has not been around horses as much as me but back in November she decided she wanted to take lessons. She loves them. I just don't think I would be able to get DS on a horse. Though he loves animals now he didn't when he was little (he refused to step foot out of the house if a squirrel was in the yard). Horses may still be a bit intimidating for him and well DH thinks they just stink. He is such a city boy.

Just a side note -- is the team goal total correct? Looks like it should be over 3000 to me ...
You know what? You're totally right. Thanks for catching it sophy1996. I went back and edited my post for today to show where we REALLY are along the road. Check it out and we can revisit the Gila River Indian community when we actually get there. LOL.

We've actually done this drive going the other way, but didn't find all these interesting stops! We were on a mission, though, because we were part of MINI Takes the States -- a cross-country drive sponsored by the MINI car brand (they do it every other year, changing up the route each time). My DH actually did the entire drive, NJ - LA. I did a few days at the beginning and hopped off in Chicago to get back to work, then flew to Phoenix and did the Phoenix - LA final leg.

I had a great day yesterday. I walked on a treadmill for 67 minutes, walked to my car from my office (15 minutes), did my 5 minute ab workout and did about 10 minutes of a walk on my break for a total of 97 minutes. Thanks to soccer practice being cancelled.

142/900

Oh my goodness, I am in love with the new theme! So much fun! Thanks for hosting, Elizabeth Smith.

I am late but in for 1800.

160 minutes so far this week.

160/1800

P.S. Pretending for a moment that I was in Disneyland with you guys. I want to ride Space Mountain to see if I like it any better than the one in WDW. I've heard the track in DL makes for a much more pleasant experience.

P.S.S. Now that we're in Chiriaco Summit, I'll stop at the Chiriaco Summit Coffee and Gift shop to load up on drinks for the trip. Maybe I'll even cool off with some ice cream. http://www.chiriacosummitcoffee.com/

Last edited:
Welcome Twilight Sparkle to our Road Trip!
Congrats are in order for sophy1996 and piglet1979 for reaching "Bags Packed" Blue!
As a team we are soooo close to "Bags Packed" Blue, less than a half a percent away!

Now we are 250 miles down the road from our starting point. We have just made it into Arizona officially now!

:car:
We're stopping for now in pretty much the middle of nowhere, but we can do a quick excursion to one of 3 National Wildlife reserves in the area. If you like deserts and hiking, now you're in luck!!
Cibola National Wild Life Refuge
800px-Desert_on_Cibola_national_wildlife_refuge.jpg

Imperial National Wild Life Refuge
Imperial_national_wildlife_refuge.jpg

Kofa National Wild Life Refuge
800px-Kofa_national_wildlife_refuge.JPG

So yesterday was rough to get everything in. I wasn't able to get to the rec because DD had a riding lesson so I had to improvise. I walked (more like paced) for 30 minutes or so while DD was riding and then did some stepping while watching TV to get a total of 10,000 steps. I really had to pull myself up off the couch to get this done. DH told me last night that I have inspired him to get up in the morning and work out. That was awesome to hear. I ended up getting 72 minutes in yesterday.

214/900

30 minutes at physical therapy yesterday. Should be my last session unless the doctor says otherwise during my recheck visit.

190/1800

Like sophy1996, I think Imperial is gorgeous, but I'll visit Cibola since its unlike anything I can see nearby.

I'm adding 90 minutes for myself for today and yesterday. That brings me to "Bags Packed" Blue. Twilight Sparkle is also "Bags Packed" Blue! Congrats!

Now the team is about 380 miles down the road.
Today, we are finally close enough to visit the Gila River Indian Community!
When I asked previously, as a team we decided to visit the Huhugam Heritage Center, Koli Equestrian Center, Aji Spa, and the Golf Courses.
640px-Sacaton%2C_AZ%2C_C.H._Cook_Memorial_Presbyterian_Church%2C_2012_-_panoramio.jpg

576px-Sacaton-Marker-Gila_River_Indian_Reservation-2.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts