Aproximating Finishing Time

Sailormoon2

DIS Veteran
I got in for the W&D Challenge, so now it's time to actually plan my trip!!! But this will be my first Run Disney race, so I have very little idea what to expect (beyond all the awesome trip reports I have read!).

In a "normal" 10K I would run between 50-55 minutes and we'll average my 1/2 time to be about 2 hours. How much time should I adjust these by for character interactions, getting medal ect. I know I can't lock it down specifically but would love an estimate. Those who are Run Disney veterans, if you do character photos how much longer than a normal race do you typically take-I guess this would factor in corral placement too.
TIA for any help.

Hmm... if you are guessing you will be about 2 hours to finish then that would put you in Corral C or D most likely. The medal won't add any time - you will receive it after the finish line after all! Having to dodge other runners in D, stopping for park pics (we haven't done character stops that have a line) and wait in the bathroom lines adds about 20 minutes to my time personally. It also takes awhile to even get up to the start line due to the staggered starts - there is an amount of time between each group (last time we did it there was 1-2 minutes between the wheelchairs, A & B, then they upped it 4-5 minutes between the next few groups through to the end). It was really annoying when the W+D was a night race and we started at more like 10:25 then 10pm..! I really preferred it as a night race regardless though...

Did they not ask you for a proof of time..? Usually for the half or longer you must submit proof or else they will just put you in one of the last corrals. :(

@AquaDame for races now you can go back and put in proof of time after registration. There's a due date, but you don't need to do it right away.

@Sailormoon2 I take my sweet time at runDisney races - there are the pictures stops but I also just run slower because I know I'm not going for a PR. So I normally add 45-50 minutes to my normal times. :teeth:

Did they not ask you for a proof of time..? Usually for the half or longer you must submit proof or else they will just put you in one of the last corrals.
I'm waiting to post it after my 10K in May, which I am absolutely hoping to kill so I can get in one of the front corrals :)

[USER=547938]@Sailormoon2
I take my sweet time at runDisney races - there are the pictures stops but I also just run slower because I know I'm not going for a PR. So I normally add 45-50 minutes to my normal times. :teeth:[/USER]

Yep, that is what I figured. I definitely want to take it all in, and do character shots for sure. Thanks.

I took my jolly time at this year's WDW half and finished about 1/2 hour slower than normal. I stopped a ton for random pics (cause if you don't stop in the dark it turns out blurry :), every mile marker, a couple characters (lines can be anywhere from no wait to who knows how long so it's hard to judge on that), and filming lots too. I was injured and doing Dopey so really was just soaking it all in. I waited only like 2 minutes for each of the characters in the half (out of corral F), but in like the 10k I waited almost 8-10 minutes for Darkwing and 4-5 for Remi & his brother (out of corral B). Not sure if this helps at all.

I got in for the W&D Challenge, so now it's time to actually plan my trip!!! But this will be my first Run Disney race, so I have very little idea what to expect (beyond all the awesome trip reports I have read!).

In a "normal" 10K I would run between 50-55 minutes and we'll average my 1/2 time to be about 2 hours. How much time should I adjust these by for character interactions, getting medal ect. I know I can't lock it down specifically but would love an estimate. Those who are Run Disney veterans, if you do character photos how much longer than a normal race do you typically take-I guess this would factor in corral placement too.
TIA for any help.

The farther forward you are in corrals, the shorter the lines will be for photos, but there will still likely be lines. People try to move as quickly as possible once they are at the front of the line, so it really depends on how long of a line you are willing to wait in. They can last anywhere from 20 minutes to 5 minutes. And I have known of people with B or C bibs who ended up getting swept because they waited in every single line, paying no attention to the balloon ladies.
So... it really depends on how much of the *Disney* you want to do along the course.
As for the things after the finish line, they force you to keep moving through the chute. So getting medal and photos and snack box all goes pretty quickly, so long as you don't need medical!

And good luck on your POT race!

Thanks @Lambiebell. As much as I want to take it all in, I also know holly highly competitive I am, it really isn't likely I'll be standing in any significantly long lines...unless it's a Villain, I couldn't pass up a Villain!:o

Thanks @Lambiebell. As much as I want to take it all in, I also know holly highly competitive I am, it really isn't likely I'll be standing in any significantly long lines...unless it's a Villain, I couldn't pass up a Villain!:o

There's a good chance for a villain at least once. Especially since there hasn't been the Tower of terror race for a while, w&d is the closest they have so I imagine they make sure they would put at least one.
At Princess there was a whole set up with a cauldron and everything for the Evil Queen of Snow White early on in the course.
And sometimes if you're gonna run Disney it's good to have a non-Disney PR and a "Disney PR that gives you a little buffer for the magic." Lol. Otherwise, it's an awful lot of money for any old race ;)

I totally hear ya @Lambiebell I will certainly be lowering my finishing expectations so I don't run by the true magic of Running Disney, also since this will be a solo trip, it's not like I'll be running to anyone at the finish line. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter