Are Wait Times For Rides Really That Bad?

Disneyonthe5

Mouseketeer
Taking my whole family, kids and grandkids, to Disney World the end of May. 20 of us in 5 rooms at the Polynesian Resort. I've been watching Disney World wait times and I'm horrified! Is it really that bad? We intend to do the early morning times but see hour waits within a few minutes of opening. Will we only be able to use the 3 fast passes without waiting in an hour line? Looking for some encouragement!

Headliners will be hour waits fairly quickly. Though I’ve heard a lot of people say they seem inflated when the parks first open. Add to that, because of the boarding pass situation, Hollywood Studios is packed at opening. I’ve never gone with a large group, but I often get 6 or more Fastpasses daily because I do my first 3 as early as I can and grab whatever is available when it’s tome for the next. Crowds also dissipate in the evenings after the shows. I’ve always had more success with closing time than rope drop. You can also jump in a headliner line just before close and still be allowed to ride. I also find the closing wait times to be inflated as well to discourage people from getting in line. Last year during Spring Break FOP had a posted wait time of I think 90 minute at close. We were through the line and off the ride within 30.

Taking my whole family, kids and grandkids, to Disney World the end of May. 20 of us in 5 rooms at the Polynesian Resort. I've been watching Disney World wait times and I'm horrified! Is it really that bad? We intend to do the early morning times but see hour waits within a few minutes of opening. Will we only be able to use the 3 fast passes without waiting in an hour line? Looking for some encouragement!

As soon as you are done with your first 3 FP+, go on the MDE app and try to snag a 4th. Keep repeating throughout the day to try to get a 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. It's, of course, best to try to snag initial FP+ for the rides that draw the biggest crowds throughout the day - FOP, 7DMT, SDD or MFSR, FEA, etc. If you can't get FP+ for those, try to get to those rides at RD or at park close.

WDW is getting more crowded. I book our FP+ for late morning, early afternoon - rope drop and morning EMH, use fast passes and then try and add a 4th. We also take a break and enjoy the resort in the afternoon.

There is so much happening right now at WDW with refurbs driving wait times on other attractions up, plus new rides driving traffic. Manage the expectations and you will be fine.

Unless end of May is Memorial Day weekend, I would be surprised if the crowds are as bad as they are right now.
But yes, WDW has been exceptionally busy so far in 2020.

We always go Easter week. So it's very busy. But with fastpasses, prioritizing, and rope dropping (by rope dropping I mean we are there an hour or more before it opens) we don't wait in lines more than 30 minutes. That might mean we say, not doing that on this trip we'll get it next time. You can get more fastpasses after you use your first three but if your party is super big that might be a challenge. The shows, which are fantastic, don't usually have long waits, character meets generally aren't much over 30 minutes either. Though there are a couple of those that are more popular than others. Make your must do list and plan around that.

You can book more FPs after your first 3, so I suggest you do that.

yes, you will wait in line for an hour or more for headliners much of the day unless using fastpass. Early in the morning or late evening are the best times to avoid long lines. We get more done in the first 3 hours than we do all day a lot of the time. If you are willing to spend some time on your phone working the system you can also get more fastpasses once you have used yours. They won't be for the top rides in the park, but you can typically get something. If you are trying to do all 20 at once, I don't think it will be possible though. You will need to split into smaller groups.

It's a theme park. lines and waiting come with the territory, but honestly it isn't that bad most of the time. Disney has engineered waiting in line. A lot of the longer lines have a lot to look at or do in line and most of the time lines keep moving pretty well.

Yes. I was at MK yesterday at rope drop and there were some 30 to 60 minute waits almost right away. It was pretty bad. This current system of fast passes really doesn't seem to be working.

I just looked at MK right now--55 minutes past opening, and there are many rides/attractions with waits of under 30 minutes. So trying to get in early really helps if you're not planning on rope dropping 7 Dwarfs or Peter Pan, which have the longest waits right this second.

Yes. I was at MK yesterday at rope drop and there were some 30 to 60 minute waits almost right away. It was pretty bad.
Yes it was and it got worse during the day. The JC was almost 2 hours at 5 pm and HM wasn't that much less. We decided not to stay because it would have been a zoo for HEA. Good thing I'm no longer a big theme fan.

It also helps to use wait time wisely. We would grab a snack or drink and eat it in line, so it’s not really wasted time but eating time.

So, rope drop and ride a couple of rides.
grab a snack and hop in some line to eat it
Ride, then Go to first FP
Ride, then walk to either next FP or some line to wait in.
etc. all day.

I'd highly, HIGHLY suggest that you start reading about how to plan out a trip to Wallyworld. It might seem overwhelming, but if you enlist members of the family to help, and you understand how fastpasses work, and how to time the shows, and get a solid list of what you want to do, then you'll have a blast. Members of this forum (and others) will offer you very solid advice/opinions on just about any subject, if you ask.

Use FPs on the very most popular rides, obviously.

Use refresh to your advantage.

If people are up for staying until close times, get on the most popular rides right at close times. They will publish VERY long wait times that aren't real right at close time to dissuade people from riding. However, as long as you are in line before the park closes, you will be able to ride. Example: we got in line for Mine Train at 10:50pm on a day when MK was open until 11pm. Published wait time was 120 minutes. We waited were on the ride in 30 minutes.

I detest the current fastpass system. I don't feel that it needed to be changed at all. It worked great the old way.
Agree - and the fact that FP is now available for every single ride is driving the wait times to ridiculous levels for rides that really don't merit them.

That said, I know I've learned a lot on these boards about how to plan my upcoming Spring Break trip. Read everything available and consider purchasing Early Morning or After Hours events if you want some less-crowded park time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter