Are we making a HUGE mistake? Bringing baby, dxdp. 9/11/10

Kaleigh

DIS Veteran
So, in the past, I have never really seen the need for a "Pre-Trip Report" Why would people tease me so, without having actually been on their vacation yet? Then, I began planning this trip and I began to see the need for a place to collect my thoughts, reservations and bounce ideas off someone other than my non-responsive husband. Hence, my "Pre-Trip Report!" [roll opening music]
Cast of Characters-
Kaleigh, 31, (me) ardent Disney parks fan and dining fanatic. Lover of planning my own vacations so much I have spent hours poring over a Six Flags map for hours memorizing and plotting courses. Planned my first Disney trip when I was 16 with an official guide alone. (had been 2 times before) Have brought my hubby into the Disney fold, and we have visited the world or land every year since 03 including 3 times this year because the military moved us to Alabama and we have APs.

James, 32, amazing husband who feeds my Disney addiction as well as my Broadway addiction. Does not like to plan, prefers seat-of-the-pants travel, but understands the need for ADRs. Followed my plans during our recent Disney Cruise in Europe like a real trooper. (Trip Report in Signature)
32014_394628593327_674513327_3888527_6666502_n.jpg

Veronica- 18 months, will be almost 20 months during trip. Beautiful, smart daughter who we swore we wouldn't take to Disney until she was "old enough to enjoy it". Umm, yeah.
35763_135590179786169_100000055634675_361994_6801704_n.jpg

So, we are venturing to the world with Veronica for the first time. It will be a split stay starting with one quick night at the Pop after a day of driving, 3 nights at the Poly and 2 nights at the Beach Club. We will be on the deluxe dining plan because Veronica eats out so well and because we have always wanted to try it. We are on the fence about attending the MNSSHP that week. It is on a Tuesday and is an annual passholder discount night, so that works. Last year we went and enjoyed it, but will V at this age and is it worth $100? We are pre-purchasing photopass because we suck at taking pictures and have literally 3 in the entire world of all of us together.
More to come, including dining reservations and questions as well as why, in fact, taking our daughter is so terrifying to us.
Hope someone will come along for the ride!

So, why are we so terrified to bring Veronica? Well, we have been taking trips to Disney together since 2003, and Veronica didn't make her appearance until 2009. (This may be TMI, but it took us 6 years to get pregnant with her and we are pretty sure she was conceived on a Disney trip. Remember the magic, indeed.) All of our trips have been very adult focused. We walk the World Showcase at least 10 times a trip. We do the stuff for kids too, like Fantasyland and have even made our way over to ToonTown in the past. We have done character meals on a regular basis, but the main thing about our trips is this: we do what we want.
We have gone so many times, that we don't really plan anymore other than dining and hotels. We just kind of go where the wind takes us and ride what we feel like when we feel like it. We actually refuse to go during a busy time because of this free form vacation that we enjoy. Okay, actually I could plan everything to a tee and still enjoy, but James needs the freedom to relax. And I can deal. It means I get pastries at Boulangerie Pattiserie almost everyday. :thumbsup2
This is us chilling in a sugar induced coma after one of those pastry trips.
n674513327_438853_4470.jpg

As you can see, we are very chill. Veronica is anything but chill. She is adorable, intelligent, fun but not chill. So the strategy this trip will be entirely different. I plan on busting out the touring plans, and James is on board with getting up for park opening (something we haven't done since our first trip)
We will be on the deluxe plan to maximize time in air conditioning and because V loves eating out. Also, we needed something fun to focus on since our strategy is out the window. And we are staying at the Poly and the Beach Club for convenience and relaxation.

So, advice? I'll include my ADRs in the next update!

Good for you for not waiting until she is "old enough"! You would be missing out on one of your most precious family memories. I was invited to my grandson's first trip to WDW (he is five and soon to take trip #7) when he was 13 months old. Does he "remember"? No, but WE will never forget seeing him LEAP into Pooh's arms or the look of wonder in his eyes when he saw the fireworks or splashing joyfully in the pool. You will experience the magic through the eyes of your child...a whole new world as they say. Oh...and small children are PORTABLE....they go where you go. Have a wonderful time!

So I promised ADR's and here they are!
First day at the Poly- Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare (V's first experience with characters) Lunch- WCC at the WL Dinner- Crystal Palace
Day 2- Lunch early Le Cellier, Dinner Ohana with fireworks
Day 3- Lunch Yak and Yeti, Dinner Citricos before MNSSHP
Day 4- First day at Beach Club- Breakfast at Akershus, Lunch at Via Napoli (no ADR there yet, but will get one) Dinner at Yachtsman
Day 5- Breakfast at Kouzzina, Lunch at Tutto Italia, Dinner at Le Cellier
Day 6- Departure day- Last breakfast at Cape May Cafe

Pretty excited about most of those. The only new ones for us are 1900 Park Fare, Citricos, Akershus, Via Napoli and Yachtsman. We read some not great reviews of Yachtsman recently, so James wants me to consider changing the reservation to another 2 credit. I am not sure what I would change it to, am considering Flying Fish.

I usually get the Passporter every year so that we can fill out the back diary sections to remember every trip, but for this trip I decided to get Tim Foster's Guide to the Magic for Kids so that Veronica can enjoy looking at it as she gets older. It came in quickly and is so cute. There are stickers she can put on each page, marking the attractions she did. There are places for autographs and hidden mickey clues. All the pages are full color. I was pretty excited and think it will make a great, different souvenir from this trip.

Thought I would include some pictures from our only other vacation with V from last year to Rapid City, South Dakota.
8731_127745933327_674513327_2305083_2844723_n.jpg

8731_127715773327_674513327_2304604_6673385_n.jpg

Hi Kaleigh! I have enjoyed reading your PTR and noticed we have several things in common. That would be the DxDP and our family also vacationed in the Black Hills area last July (1-12). We were at Rushmore Cave also. When was your family in S. Dakota? To Disney, we will be taking our DS 7 and our DD 3, who is very independent and high-maintenance! I am lookng forward to all of our TS meals so she can have some major chill out time. I'm sure we will all need it! Subscribing to your report, Erin

Hi Kaleigh! I have enjoyed reading your PTR and noticed we have several things in common. That would be the DxDP and our family also vacationed in the Black Hills area last July (1-12). We were at Rushmore Cave also. When was your family in S. Dakota? To Disney, we will be taking our DS 7 and our DD 3, who is very independent and high-maintenance! I am lookng forward to all of our TS meals so she can have some major chill out time. I'm sure we will all need it! Subscribing to your report, Erin

Hey Erin (that is my middle name) We moved from North Dakota to Alabama via Air Force last September, and went to the Black Hills as soon as our house was packed up which was the beginning of Sept. James and I had been once before and enjoyed it so much we wanted to go back before we left the area.

I am so glad I found your PTR! There are a lot of similarities between our families. I was actually specifically looking for TRs from people who have returned or are about to go on first trip with baby #1. Congrats on your newest addition! DH and I were married in 2003 and had our honeymoon at WDW. We have gone at least once, sometimes twice every year since. In early 2009, we were surprised to find out our Disney trips would never be the same! :goodvibes Baby Elijah arrived in November and we are about to go on our first trip with him in September (50 days!!! :cool1:). Our pre-baby trips were all about just going where we felt like, especially after our first few fast-paced trips of seeing it all. This time will definitely be different! Looking forward to hearing your plans and how you three enjoy it together!

Joining in. popcorn::

Your daughter is adorable. :cutie:

Great ADR's. We had Yachtsman but I just changed it the other day to Artist Point. We loved Yachtsman the last time we were there but I've read some reviews that sort of scare me so I made the switch. :scared1:

We'll be there the same time that you will be there. We're doing MNSSHP on that Tuesday. We really enjoy MNSSHP. Have you made your final decision on if you are going to the party?

I am so glad I found your PTR! There are a lot of similarities between our families. I was actually specifically looking for TRs from people who have returned or are about to go on first trip with baby #1. Congrats on your newest addition! DH and I were married in 2003 and had our honeymoon at WDW. We have gone at least once, sometimes twice every year since. In early 2009, we were surprised to find out our Disney trips would never be the same! :goodvibes Baby Elijah arrived in November and we are about to go on our first trip with him in September (50 days!!! :cool1:). Our pre-baby trips were all about just going where we felt like, especially after our first few fast-paced trips of seeing it all. This time will definitely be different! Looking forward to hearing your plans and how you three enjoy it together!

How old is Elijah? You guys sound just like us! When in Sept will you be there? Hopefully we can share tips!

Joining in. popcorn::

Your daughter is adorable. :cutie:

Great ADR's. We had Yachtsman but I just changed it the other day to Artist Point. We loved Yachtsman the last time we were there but I've read some reviews that sort of scare me so I made the switch. :scared1:

We'll be there the same time that you will be there. We're doing MNSSHP on that Tuesday. We really enjoy MNSSHP. Have you made your final decision on if you are going to the party?

Thank you. We can't understand how she got so cute.;) I am leaning toward yes on the MNSSHP. My main concern is her reaction to characters because that would be a big reason to go:to get good pictures with lots of characters. Do you have kids that will be dressing up? What will they be?

Yeah, the reviews of Yachtsman have scared us too. So it was good when you went?

Thank you. We can't understand how she got so cute.;) I am leaning toward yes on the MNSSHP. My main concern is her reaction to characters because that would be a big reason to go:to get good pictures with lots of characters. Do you have kids that will be dressing up? What will they be?

Yeah, the reviews of Yachtsman have scared us too. So it was good when you went?

We actually don't have kids. We're just two giant kids! :lmao: My nephew will be with us but I don't think he will want to dress up this year. He just turned 13 and I'm thinking it may not be "inl" anymore. :rolleyes1 He dressed up when he was younger and really enjoyed it.

The last time we were at Yachtsman was 2 years ago. It was really good. We liked it a lot. I'm not sure what's happened since then. :confused3

Elijah will be 9 months old tomorrow! :love: Can't believe it! We are going September 21 through October 1. It will just be the three of us the first two days and then my husband's mom and sister will join us for 5 days. They live very near to us (my mother-in-law babysits Elijah the days I work- they moved all the way to TX from TN just to be close to him- GREAT news for us! I have wonderful in-laws). My MIL and SIL are then taking Elijah home with them and DH and I will have 4 days alone to celebrate our 7th anniversary. I am very excited to have the alone time but I know I am going to miss E so much! I have thought of doing a TR, but I have started one the last two trips and never finished. I'll just enjoy reading yours instead! Your daughter is beautiful, by the way!

We actually don't have kids. We're just two giant kids! :lmao: My nephew will be with us but I don't think he will want to dress up this year. He just turned 13 and I'm thinking it may not be "inl" anymore. :rolleyes1 He dressed up when he was younger and really enjoyed it.

The last time we were at Yachtsman was 2 years ago. It was really good. We liked it a lot. I'm not sure what's happened since then. :confused3

Oh, we've gone for years without kids, so I completely understand. Once we decide what we are dressing V us as, I will let you know so that you will know us when you see us. Well, and you have the pictures of us as well. We are kind of conspicuous since James is so tall and I am so short. :)

Elijah will be 9 months old tomorrow! :love: Can't believe it! We are going September 21 through October 1. It will just be the three of us the first two days and then my husband's mom and sister will join us for 5 days. They live very near to us (my mother-in-law babysits Elijah the days I work- they moved all the way to TX from TN just to be close to him- GREAT news for us! I have wonderful in-laws). My MIL and SIL are then taking Elijah home with them and DH and I will have 4 days alone to celebrate our 7th anniversary. I am very excited to have the alone time but I know I am going to miss E so much! I have thought of doing a TR, but I have started one the last two trips and never finished. I'll just enjoy reading yours instead! Your daughter is beautiful, by the way!

Thank you! 9 months, you are braver than me, but at least you have help after a few days, then alone time. As far as missing him, I find that I miss Veronica more if I am home without her than when I am on vacation. I think it is because we aren't used to having her around on vacations, so it is more normal that she is not there. I still miss her, but it isn't as heartwrenching as if I am home without her. Have a great time!

Well, we just found out yesterday that James is getting deployed to Iraq in a few weeks, so it looks like this trip won't happen. We are still trying to figure out if there is a way to squeeze in a quick trip before he leaves, but I just don't know right now. My head is spinning a little. It is only 6 months, but that is still a long time. Thanks all! I'll update soon.

Well, we just found out yesterday that James is getting deployed to Iraq in a few weeks, so it looks like this trip won't happen. We are still trying to figure out if there is a way to squeeze in a quick trip before he leaves, but I just don't know right now. My head is spinning a little. It is only 6 months, but that is still a long time. Thanks all! I'll update soon.

I'm so sorry to hear about your trip. I hope that you can manage a quick trip before he leaves.

Many thanks to James for serving our country.

just found your TR, we are doing a similar trip in the new year, can't wait to hear about your planning.:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter