Are you sending your kids to school next month?

Happyinwonerland

DIS Veteran
Title says it all. Are you sending your kids to school next month? We live in Florida, and our county in particular is seeing skyrocketing infection rates, so we are leaning towards virtual school. I do not care for the "safety plan" our school has laid out.

What are you all doing?

We live in Chicago, IL and school doesn't start for our kids until early September. The governor hopes that schools will reopen in some capacity, but if we have the option of continuing online classes for our son, that is preferred. We'll see what our numbers look like by then. Our economy isn't fully reopened yet, but as we enter each new stage our numbers creep up, so I'm not hopeful that we'll be able to keep things under control when schools re-open. When/if they do reopen, the kids will need to wear masks.

Yes - youngest's school is small enough they can social distance fairly well. Older DS is a senior next year ( 😭). He has the option of online or classroom but has to commit to one or the other for the full semester, no switching back and forth. I left it up to him, he wants to go back and spend the year with his friends so classroom it is.

Our district said they won't make an announcement about the opening plan until early August (for an after-labor-day start).
Assuming it's a reasonable plan, I'm excited to get my kids back in school, and they are SO excited to go. That said, we don't have anyone in our immediate family with complications/additional risk factors, so I totally respect others who make a different decision.

As of right now, unless we switch out of our district and into an online school, we don’t have a choice. The state legislation is written in a way that full time distance learning in a public school can only be done for a medically fragile child or at the direction of the governor or county. Right now it looks like it will be a hybrid model - my elementary kids in AM/PM and unsure about my high schoolers (two different districts). Our year round schools that start in 2 weeks will do the first month as full distance learning and then switch to hybrid. That said, our cases are rising quickly, so it’s really hard to say what will happen in a month. Although I really wanted my kids back in person in some form earlier, right now I’m hoping for a well thought out distance learning model because I think we end up on one at some point anyway. My kids want full time distance learning if things can’t be normal at school.

ETA: Hybrid will be with cohorts, socially distanced of 6ft and with masks for those 12 and older at all times on campus. Under 12 is at the discretion of the district/school.

We start in September. Looks like it’ll be a hybrid schedule. DD will go to high school on her set days. DS will be going back to the dorms next month.

I don't want to. Our schools haven't announced an official plan yet. I work for a different school district than my kids attend so the hybrid school plans that they are discussing seem like a logistics nightmare.

let’s be honest here. If schoolS opens up more kids will die from coming and going and waiting at bus stops. Than the corono virus.
more kids will die from school shootings than corono virus. More kids will die from committing suicide from being bully at school than corono virus.
So our kids will be safe from corono for the most part. Most will recover quickly. Some will die sadly. Of course they will bring it home to their parents which will mean more deaths. Damn if you do damn if you don’t open up the schools.

We start in 2 weeks.....DGD (2nd grade) and DGS (pre school) are going to be home schooled by their aunt (DD).
If they went back, we would not be able to see them. I am paying her 1/3 the money and DS is paying the rest.
Our state (AZ) is not doing well, no way are those little kids going to school

I am feeling really grateful that I already homeschool!

We homeschooled until last year, then work schedules required us to enroll her in a charter. We will likely do virtual homeschool in the fall and hope I get to continue working from home.

So our kids will be safe from corono for the most part. Most will recover quickly. Some will die sadly. Of course they will bring it home to their parents which will mean more deaths. Damn if you do damn if you don’t open up the schools.

To me it feels like the schools are saying "We know a certain percentage of our students and staff will die from catching this virus at school. Come on in!" When staying home could prevent that

We homeschooled until last year, then work schedules required us to enroll her in a charter. We will likely do virtual homeschool in the fall and hope I get to continue working from home.

To me it feels like the schools are saying "We know a certain percentage of our students and staff will die from catching this virus at school. Come on in!" When staying home could prevent that

You take a chance going outside your house. Like I said which the part you left out. More kids will die from school shooting, suicide, going to and from schools than corono. You take a chance when going outside your house. In lot of different ways. Or maybe I could die inside my house from a home invasion, airplane crashed into my house, fire, etc. you can’t always live in fear, fear could cost you your life also. ,

As of right now, unless we switch out of our district and into an online school, we don’t have a choice. The state legislation is written in a way that full time distance learning in a public school can only be done for a medically fragile child or at the direction of the governor or county. Right now it looks like it will be a hybrid model - my elementary kids in AM/PM and unsure about my high schoolers (two different districts). Our year round schools that start in 2 weeks will do the first month as full distance learning and then switch to hybrid. That said, our cases are rising quickly, so it’s really hard to say what will happen in a month. Although I really wanted my kids back in person in some form earlier, right now I’m hoping for a well thought out distance learning model because I think we end up on one at some point anyway. My kids want full time distance learning if things can’t be normal at school.

ETA: Hybrid will be with cohorts, socially distanced of 6ft and with masks for those 12 and older at all times on campus. Under 12 is at the discretion of the district/school.

No.
CA schools can provide the option to do full-time distance learning regardless of what the state or county is doing.

let’s be honest here. If schoolS opens up more kids will die from coming and going and waiting at bus stops. Than the corono virus.
more kids will die from school shootings than corono virus. More kids will die from committing suicide from being bully at school than corono virus.

I'm more concerned with the kids bringing the virus home and contributing to the spread. That said, I will have one at home, a freshman in HS. He'll be going to school. He wants to play football but every time they open "non-mandatory" workouts this summer, it gets closed down for another coronavirus infection. How school will actually go is anyone's guess. I also have 3 going to college. The plan is in person schooling with social distancing and masks. How that will go, is also anyone's guess.

You take a chance going outside your house. Like I said which the part you left out. More kids will die from school shooting, suicide, going to and from schools than corono. You take a chance when going outside your house. In lot of different ways. Or maybe I could die inside my house from a home invasion, airplane crashed into my house, fire, etc. you can’t always live in fear, fear could cost you your life also. ,

Whether to have in-person class or distance learning was not always just for the students’ health concerns but also of the staff. Plus, the coronaviruses just don’t stay at school. It could be brought home with the student.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!