Arrange to have a wheelchair at DME??

Disneyfn420

DIS Veteran
My mom needs a wheelchair when we are at the airports. She rents a scooter in the parks. We put in the request with Jet Blue for the wheelchair. The problem going home. We took Magical Express to the airport which leaves you off at the DME stop. Last time it took us quite a while to flag down someone to get a wheelchair for us. Is there a way we can arrange to have one waiting for us at DME? I don't need anyone to push her, just to have an actual chair there. I doubt Jet Blue would offer it since that is not by their area. But in order to get to the Jet Blue terminal, she'd need the chair. I can't imagine this doesn't happen all the time so does anyone know the procedure?

Typically those services are arranged via the airline you are flying on. Have you actually reached out to JetBlue and asked them?

Remember that if you have a friend/family member who has a wheelchair that you can borrow for the trip, it will fly free as medical equipment, and she can take it all the way to and from the door of the plane, where the ground crew will gate check it for departure, and return it to her upon arrival. She could then use it to/from DME - and just fold it up and store it in the Resort hotel room while you all are at WDW.

You might also want to check with your local Rotary or Lions Club. My parents are members of a Lions Club and they have medical equipment that they lend out to people in the community (wheelchairs, shower chairs, etc).

Typically those services are arranged via the airline you are flying on. Have you actually reached out to JetBlue and asked them?

Remember that if you have a friend/family member who has a wheelchair that you can borrow for the trip, it will fly free as medical equipment, and she can take it all the way to and from the door of the plane, where the ground crew will gate check it for departure, and return it to her upon arrival. She could then use it to/from DME - and just fold it up and store it in the Resort hotel room while you all are at WDW.
Well the Jet Blue part of the terminal is far so I'm not sure if they would send someone to DME, but worth a phone call. Just figured someone else had the same issue and maybe knew the best way to handle. I've heard lines are longer now at MCO so don't want to waste time trying to get a chair and we'd never make flight if my mom had to walk.

We took Magical Express to the airport which leaves you off at the DME stop.

It's been a few years since I've used DME, but whenever I've used it, we've been dropped off at the doors nearest the check in counters, not at the DME loading area. Has it changed in the last 3 years? You should have no problem arranging for a wheelchair to meet you.

My mom needs a wheelchair when we are at the airports. She rents a scooter in the parks. We put in the request with Jet Blue for the wheelchair. The problem going home. We took Magical Express to the airport which leaves you off at the DME stop. Last time it took us quite a while to flag down someone to get a wheelchair for us. Is there a way we can arrange to have one waiting for us at DME? I don't need anyone to push her, just to have an actual chair there. I doubt Jet Blue would offer it since that is not by their area. But in order to get to the Jet Blue terminal, she'd need the chair. I can't imagine this doesn't happen all the time so does anyone know the procedure?

If she needs a wheelchair to get through the airport, she's going to need something at WDW besides the scooter you say she will rent in the parks, won't she? I mean, walking from resort room to the bus stop, from the bus stop to the park entrance and to the scooter rental place can be a long haul, depending on which resort and what room you get. Or when you state she rents a scooter in the parks, do you mean an offsite one she uses all over WDW property?

I'd also like to hear replies to this. Pre-wheelchair, I used to take solo trips, and I'd like to again. My one problem is that I can't walk all the way from DME drop-off to the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter