Asperger Moment: Priceless!

Luv Bunnies, my very favorite people are children. Especially before they are corrupted by adults. :rotfl2:

They are so honest in their utterances and speak things in ways that we no longer think and wish we could.

Thanks for sharing. Loved it! Give him a hug from this grandma, please?:hug:

Slightly Goofy

Thanks! What a nice response. He gets lots of hugs everyday. I'll be sure to give him one with your name on it!!!:love:

LuvBunny, I sort thought he might get lots of hugs but that is one of the few things you cannot get too much of.:rotfl:

Glad to know one will have my name on it. I have given many and plan to continue doing so.:hug:

Slightly Goofy

When he was 5, years before he was diagnosed as being ASD, my son Ben was being unusually quiet. So I said "what's the matter, Ben? Cat got your tongue?" He looked horrified, stuck his fingers in his mouth and ran to the bathroom mirror to check. Then he swaggered back to me and said, "Nope, the cat doesn't have it, it's still there!"

My youngest, also ASD, is a rather odd, even for me, kind of kid. Something he relishes in, by the way. He has decided to become the "worlds most famous artist" when he grows up. He talks like a cross between a dictionary and an encyclopedia. Just the other day in Target he started to tell me the he wasn't looking forward to taking history classes in school. When I asked why, he said because the school wouldn't teach him the correct history. When I asked what he meant he said, "You know Mom, what are the chances that my history teacher will even know that George Washington was with the British Army, and that he started the French and Indian War?" Well, the lady next to us did a triple take on that one! :lmao: That was too funny!

I count myself as very fortunate to have two Aspie kids, and I tell them that all the time! I wouldn't trade those two in for anything or anyone else in the world. :love:

I work with learning disabled children and one thing I have learned is that the truly unique and great things that have been accomplished have seldom been thought up by 'ordinary' folks. Not to downgrade them but if the solution was an easy one they would have thought of it. People who think 'differently' come up with alternate solutions that we would never think of.

There is more than one way to live a life and it can be a journey to watch and learn.

Slightly Goofy

Ok, so yesterday we were walking around JC Penney. Someone came over the loudspeaker and said something like, "John Smith, John Smith please meet your party at Customer Service". I heard the announcement but didn't hear it since it pertain to us. My DS7 quickly said, "Mom, you can't have parties in JC Penney; it's a store. :rotfl: My DH laughed then I tried to explain what a party was. These little things brighten each day.

Last night we had just finished watching Disney's "College Road Trip" and my husband commented that it was nice that it was a clean movie. My DS (12) stated, "Yes it was great the DVD was clean and worked fine". So often, we rent DVDs that we have to clean before they play right. My DH and I just had to laugh at that one.

My DH then preceeded to check the back of the DVD case and realized that it was rated G. My DS (12) again piped up, "Yea, it is rated G for good!" :lmao:
That is refreshing to hear as a mother of a preteen and as a junior high teacher!

My DS often puts a smile on our faces when he gives us a glimmer of his insights.

I love being with children for this reason. They remind us of things that we have long forgotten and sorely miss. That innocence and other way of looking at things.

SG

I am new here and found this site only after googling about Asperger's my one twin son was dx'd with 2 years ago - although I sometimes feel like it was only yesterday and I am still trying to find answers (another post I will make). I fell in love with this forum because I could relate with so many of you with children on the autism spectrum. Everything I have been researching was kids recently dx'd but they are 5-6 -- I was having so much trouble finding info for an 11 yr old -- and then i came across this forum. Thanks.

Either way, i just had to post about what happened last summer:

Living in an apartment has its ups and downs - especially when my ds is having a rough day and decides to have a meltdown that last hours at a time. But its those other moments that make you smile and forget about those meltdowns. Having Asperger's makes it hard for one to understand literal statements. Simple everyday statements like: Get up on the table to color so no one runs into you - so the child literally gets up on the table to color instead of sitting in a chair. You have something that needs to go in the trash so you ask the Asperger's child to throw it in the trash - they literally THROW it in the trash - doesn't matter if the trashcan is in the next room or not -- he/she throws from where they are. Oh I could probably write a book on things you should not say around a asperger's child. But sometimes you just can't stop what other people say. Imagine:

Bringing groceries in from the car and a new tenant is moving in carrying his boxes to the doorMy ds being the caring person runs ahead and holds open the door for all of us. We all meet up at the door. I say hi and introduce myself. He replies: Hi, I'm Rich. My lil' polite boy returns saying: Oh My mom likes rich men.

Just imagine my embarrassment.

BTW: Never been to disney with the kids although i was there 2 times as a kid. Someday I hope to share the excitement with all 4 of my kids. Someday!

dapperma, Welcome!

I can relate to your story. I know it well.

My most recent one was that I asked that a bag of yardwaste be carried back to the 4 barrels in the back and gave explicit instructions,

In one of the EMPTY barrels, three of them were empty

And do not step on the flowers.

When I looked out the bag was hanging out of the one barrel that had been almost full and he had walked around to the back and stepped on the one planting of flowers.

People who hear me with my Aspie (btw, I do not care for that term) are appalled because it sounds as if I am talking to a child and he is my husband. I get branded all sort of things that I am not because they do not understand.

I am grateful that your generation is more educated on the subject and will be better able to help your children grow up and not be as prone to the difficulties that you face when married to someone with such traits.

Please do not worry about going to DW with your children. One of the things that keeps us going back is the acceptance of people with differences. There have been a few instances of my husband displaying behavioral problems and most of the time folks seem to have understood that there was something wrong. I even had one lady turn to me and say the word "Aspergers".

Go, enjoy. Just make sure that everyone gets enough sleep and do not rush. I keep things simple. We have been enough times that it is almost as familiar as home by now and that means that my husband can wander a bit away without much worry. It can be overwhelming to anyone.

If you need any advice on how to make it simpler and easier please pm me.

Slightly Goofy

I love these stories.

Our favorite is when DS (5) had a sliver in his foot that was about 2in. long and deep. We tried everything to get it out but when he saw the blood he freaked! I had been trying to do this by myself to keep the contact with his body to a minimum to keep him from squirming and resisting.

DP had had enough of this and finally turned around and said, "Okay. Time for the big guns."

Yup. Screaming DS, "Why are you going to shoot me? Where is the gun?" :lmao:

So now when one of us says something to him that the other realizes he will not understand because he is so literal we look at each other and say, "You're going to shoot me." Makes us smile every time. :)

mechurchlady, I hear you. I thought that for over 30 years myself and when I tried to explain to folks how I lived they would say the same. It was only after the diagnosis and reading a support group of others married to such that I realized what it was.

There is a name for women who are married to men with this. Cassandra Syndrome, she was given the power to foretell the future and when the Gods found that they could not take back that gift they added one more, that she would never be believed.

Dealing with the behaviors is the easy part. Explaining to others is the hard part.

Might I ask why you will not be going back to DW? I have thought that more than once myself. I hope you are wrong.

Slightly Goofy

I have no money to go but do have angels over there who would help me big time.

I ahve my 83 year old mother and cannot even do an over night at the hotel or a trip to Las Vegas without her. Today we broke the wheelchair and she shutdown on me at home for a while. She did not want the NEW wheelchair but now thinks it is ok. It was a long day just to get her to Goofy's Kitchen and home. I posted the report here.

Mom is the worst case of hypersensitivity and I am bad but not too bad as I have sweet people like Sue and bookworm and Becky and Nicole and whats her name Disney Mom? They help me grow up but Mom cannot go to a home or be with new people. San Antonio was hard on her and friends that took care of her. She only loves my dear friend Calvin and I have left her in the living room with him for an hour or more. I want my quiet and peace.

I want but cannot leave mother alone and she cannot travel as she is an undocumented citizen.

mechurchlady, I understand. My husband is older than I am and last year I went on vacation for the first time in my entire life. I cannot leave him alone. My bil was kind enough to offer to care for him for the time I was gone. He is not incapacitated, he just has never had to take care of himself and there would not be a house left when I returned. Folks think that is an overstatement but it is not.

It is so good of you to take such good care of your mom. I know how some older folks cannot abide change. I sit with some elderly neighbors so their families can go shopping or to church and such but not all of them will allow that. I hope I never become like that. I would hate to be a burden.

Your circumstances are hard in that many of the places that might provide a bit of respite care are not things that you can do.

People to always ask how the patient is and do not think to ask about the caregiver. I hope you can get some sort of help for you. No one can do that job 24/7 week after week, year after year, without any help. Be kind to yourself when you can.

My thoughts are with you and I hope that things get better for you and your mom.

Slightly Goofy/Linda

Mom will never get better as she is beyond help. I have Sue and bookworm and the ladies on disAbilities to help me grow and evolve. You roll with the punched and duck the blows as best you can. You were blessed with a unique type of person who is a pain in the rump at times but you love them anyways.

Big hugs and chocolates and aspirins
Laurie:hug:

mechurchlady, your mom may not be any better but she is not beyond help as you give it to her. I am sure she appreciates having you as you do her.

BTW, I will gladly take the chocolate but must pass on the aspirin. I take Coumadin and it is not allowed.

Day by day, step by step, it is the only way to cope sometimes.

May your Disney dreams comfort you until you are able to fulfill them. :love:

Slightly Goofy/Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter