Astro Orbiter?

luvprincess

Earning My Ears
I was looking ar the rise astro-orbiter and didnt understand how it works :confused3 are you inside those little planets? :confused: does anyone have pics of when they were riding the astro orbiter and/or an explanation of the thing? Thanks :thumbsup2

Here's a link that explains the ride and has a good photo.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/magickingdom/tom-astro.htm

You ride in a rocket ship (the white cigar shaped thingy's in the photo). It's kind of like Dumbo for big boys and girls. A lot higher and faster. Definitely not for anyone afraid of heights.

A very slow loader, which explains the long lines at times. I rode it once. BTDT, moved on.

You ride in little rockets. I found it to be kind of freaky. It's really high up and I had a weird sensation like I was going to fall out. That's probably just me though. I am no fan of heights!

DW and I tried it for the first time on our last trip. We are both fairly thin adults and we had trouble getting into the rocket together. CM had to tell me to get in and DW had to squeeze in after me. Not that it was tight but it was difficult to place your legs getting in.

I do not like heights but I was fine on Astro-Orbiter.

Don't wig out the first time you ride if you feel like it is tilting and going to break. That is normal.

Not that I did. :blush:

Psh, I wig out every time I ride it, especially when my little kids want to go WAY. UP. HIGH.

:rotfl:

As others have said, it's like Dumbo... but loads even slower due to the pre/post elevator ride.

I was looking ar the rise astro-orbiter and didnt understand how it works :confused3 are you inside those little planets? :confused: does anyone have pics of when they were riding the astro orbiter and/or an explanation of the thing? Thanks :thumbsup2

The ride part is down below the planets.

We rode for the first time last fall. I was a little disappointed because from the ground it looks so neat with that big planet overlay - the actual ride wasn't nearly as fancy. And, I have to admit, it was a little scary.

Isn't it faster than Dumbo though? Or was that just my imagination because I was whimpering & longing to get out the whole time? Not faster as in a shorter ride or queue... faster as in spinning around more quickly.

I remember my arm hurting from the centrifugal force smashing me against the side of the rocket, and I got kind of motion sick, which never happens on Dumbo or Aladdin or that sad little dinosaur ride. Not even the sight of a fortuitously-timed Wishes show going off overhead was enough to make me enjoy the ride. I. Just. Wanted. Out.

Ugh. Never again. Never. Not even if Buzz Lightyear himself was begging me.

I suppose the elevator ride is a bit more thrill than the poor schmucks at Disneyland get, though. Theirs is just plopped in the middle of the sidewalk.

In MANY trips to WDW, I had never ridden it until this year. DS5 wanted to try it so we did. It was fun. He loved it. It really is neat to ride at night. The line really ebbs and flows so if it is long, check back a little later and it may be no line at all.

It is a really run ride to ride at night but in my opinion it is not worth a long wait time.

It is downright scary at night. Two adults do not fit comfortably in it. You can get in, but getting back out after being smushed is another story! :rotfl2:

DW and I tried it for the first time on our last trip. We are both fairly thin adults and we had trouble getting into the rocket together. CM had to tell me to get in and DW had to squeeze in after me. Not that it was tight but it was difficult to place your legs getting in.

I do not like heights but I was fine on Astro-Orbiter.

A couple of weekends ago DH and I were doing an adult only weekend and while at MK one night, I decided that it would be a good idea to ride Astro Orbiter (I love riding it at night). Now mind you, DH and I are both tall but average height. I was expecting to go in one rocket while DH goes in his own, but to my surprise DH wanted to go with me :confused3. Let me just say it was so hard to get into the thing and my legs hurt after riding it because they were so scrunched (I was sitting in front). We were laughing so hard as we were flying around trying to get comfortable....we said when we ride it again, we were never going to do that again :rotfl:.

OP, like everyone else has already explained, they are the rockets that go up and down just like Dumbo does. They are a bit faster and does tilt some so it does feel like you would fall out (but of course you won't). I love riding this ride, especially at night, because you can see everything from up there. We have gotten a ton of great photos from that ride, not just from MK but pictures of CR and Seven Seas Lagoon.

My twin and I went on this a few years ago.

Did I mention that we got in one rocket and then couldn't get out! :laughing::laughing::laughing: Yup, we were stuck.

It was sooo funny! We are thin adults and were smushed. We still talk about it to this day: "Remember when we went on Astro Orbiter and we couldn't get out!" It was really funny :rotfl:

As some pp have said, when my bf and I rode it, we got stuck and had trouble getting out. Honestly, we had trouble getting IN as well.. but getting out was worse. And I am sure we were humorous to watch.

I have never been sick from a ride before either until riding this ride. The seat belt thing fit weird (since it has to go around both riders) and unless I was leaning back into my bf at a weird angle, it was hurting me. The odd position I was in may have contributed to the motion sickness.

If I ever ride again, I think I will need my own rocket :lmao:

My husband and I rode this on our first trip to WDW. Neither of us is what you'd call a "thin adult" and he's tall. We tried to fit in the same rocket, but it just wasn't happening for us. So, we each got a rocket of our own. I think he liked the ride. I, however, am in the "it will be a cold day in Hades before I ever even think of getting on that death trap again" camp. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!