At what age did your kids like rollercoasters?

jlnten17

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Our daughter is currently age 8 and has loved every ride she has been tall enough to go on since age 3-4. By age 4 she loved 7DMT and by age 5 she was a fan of ToT, Splash and Test Track. Our son is turning 5 next month and still refuses to try any ride larger than Dumbo. I won't force him to ride but I'm just wondering if he will come around to trying them in the next year or two. I don't think he gets motion sickness because he loves Dumbo and Teacups. I know every kid is different just looking for success stories of kids that perhaps didn't want to ride when they reached the height limit but came around eventually. Thanks!

The youngest was 4 (loved them, Hershey Park), the oldest around 7, but I did have to resort to bribery (knowing he’d love them). You know your kids, the four year old had a twin sister who I wouldn’t let go with her brother because I knew she’d be terrified. Another meek one begged to go on space mountain at 6, I finally gave in and it took her a long time to stop crying.

He'll come around. My oldest would sit and watch roller coasters for hours but would not ride. As soon as his younger sister was tall enough she would ride everything. I still remember how proud she as when she was finally tall enough to ride California Screamin' and she immediately rode - TWICE! He older brother would not go near the thing, but that was enough - he was not going to allow his little sister to show him up. Both have ridden absolutely everything since that day.

So variable. My daughter rode California Screamin' the second she was tall enough, while my son was afraid of it until he was in his teens. Now he does bungee jumping and sky diving.

My son tried his first "big kid" rides like 7DMT, SDD, and Splash a few days before his 4th birthday.

These are helpful! We are taking him to WDW for his 5th birthday and I am not going to pressure him to go on anything. We are currently booked for Disneyland in Feb 2021 and I am really hoping he wants to try RSR by then because he loves the Cars movies. He says he wants to so we shall see.

When the two were younger, I just told them it was fun and not bad. They realized they shouldn't believe me shortly thereafter but they both love roller coasters now. We have some good ride pictures with their mouths wide open screaming! 🤣🤣🤣

My son has never liked roller coasters. He tried some when he was younger and it’s just not his thing. That’s not say that your son won’t like them someday, but not everyone does.

Mine is 2 year old is still too young but she'd ride and be okay with everything as long as it wasn't loud. She's wild and is a daredevil.

But back in college I had the awesome job of babysitting and got to have a 6 night stay at GF and basically play with the kids of two families(at the time aged 10, 8, 8, 6 and 5).

I made them ride everything they were high enough to ride on (Big Thunder, Space, Splash, EE,) etc. None were super scared of anything. Had anyone truly been petrified, I wouldn't have pushed.

The 5 year old is now in college himself....whew I'm old

My oldest is now 12. He loved roller coasters at the age of 5. He started with simpler ones and worked his way up. Now he will try anything. Upside down, loops, twists, no problem.
My youngest is now 9 and will not go on anything that does loops or makes him go upside down. He LOVES all of the Disney coasters. He was probably about 7 though when he had enough courage to try Space Mountain/Splash Mountain rides and realized he loved them.
I also didn't push b/c I was afraid if he got too scared, I'd never get him to try again. Patience worked. Now he goes on all of the rides that I love to go on with him. And we leave the crazy rides elsewhere to my older son!

tale of 2 grandsons first one loved every coaster he has ridden granted he was later than some because of being short. he has yet to meet a coaster he doesnt love. last grandson is almost 8 and just beginning to ride beginner coasters. he has refused even those until this summer. he has had to watch his older brothers who ride coasters but he wanted no part of coasters. didnt even like to watch them. it wasnt always him having to watch his brothers had to wait for him to ride his favorite rides

My ds13 is just starting to give them a try..
My 10 year old is still pretty scared
YouTube pov videos have been a game changer..
Now they see there is nothing to be scared of

My DD started wanting to try small coasters around age 8. Now at 9, the biggest she has ridden is Slinky Dog. She was so scared, but ended up loving it. So I think she’ll do bigger ones in a few years. Luckily, my H will ride with her. I absolutely hate any kind of coaster! My DS is 6 and won’t even consider trying even Barnstormer. I encourage my kids because I don’t want them to be afraid of trying anything, but never push them into it, either.

All my kids got on them as soon as they were able.

I wouldn't force my kids to go on, but I heavily incentivize them to do so.

My daughter was tall enough to ride barnstormer at 1 (she was a month away from 2) and we brought her on it and she loved it. She was tall enough for SDD and mine train at 2 (almost 3) and loved them as well. We were excited to take her this year since she was over 40 inches and could go on the bigger rides. Hopefully next year.

But each kid is different. My dad still doesn’t like the roller coaster rides

We have 2 great twin grandsons who are 7 and they are so different when it comes to roller coasters. It's night and day between the two of them. One is a daredevil and the other one likes baby rides. We have split up sometimes on the rides to accomodate both of them.

There just is not a set answer to when they will change or if they will ever change. We will keep trying to expose both of them and let each decide. We won't push it.

Both of mine started with the Barnstormer at 4. Now they have rode all roller coasters that the meet the height requirements. They are small for their ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter