at what point do you stop getting a DAS for your child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jperiod

I am the rebel spy!
My DS with ASD is 12 now and is doing fantastic at the parks compared to how things were a few years prior. His behaviors have mellowed out a lot. I think a large part of his success in line is due to distraction with game devices (started with a 3DS and now he has a cell phone). Prior to having those devices, he would have outbursts or become really intrusive to others around him in narrow queues with switchbacks or slow loaders. He also would flat out refuse to wait for *anything* longer than 15 minutes, including parades/shows (we used the stroller as a wheelchair tag for many years to help with that).

I've stretched him to 20 minutes now, but frankly, he could probably go longer since he has a game device always with him. Though I'm not sure if he'd tolerate this multiple times throughout the day. I just haven't wanted to test him. On our last couple trips to DLR, I felt bad and wondered if I was enabling him by getting a DAS. We managed through 2 weeks of WDW without the DAS last fall because of FP+. We utilize FP at DLR fairly well too. I have to admit, I like the ability to get a return time for something after the fastpasses have run out as well as waiting elsewhere. And so does he. At one point on our recent trip, they sent us through the new FP line for TSMM which was next to the regular line and made it look much longer. DS started to panic at the sight of a long line. But truthfully, I'm not sure if he was panicking because he didn't "want" to wait or because he didn't have the ability.

So I guess I'm wondering, should the goal always be to get my child off the assistance? This is what we're working toward in "real life," but it's nice to be on vacation from that at disney. I also don't want to burden the DAS system and ruin it for others that can't function without it, where we were at a few years ago. I guess I'm looking for others' experiences at transitioning as their kids got older and gained more skills.

I am right there with you. My son is 11 now and, honestly, probably capable of waiting in most standby lines. However, he does start to panic when he sees long lines and immediately goes to "that line is too long...skip it." But I also struggle with continuing to use the DAS as it's becoming a crutch for him. Our goal is ALWAYS to fade away supports to make him motivated to overcome some of his issues. At this point, we keep the DAS but I am getting more selective about using it, and pushing him to do more standby lines (we also use FP). I am starting to give him the choice...wait in line or skip it, rather than defaulting to DAS. We only use DAS for extenuating circumstances now, like a 90 min wait in the heat, because he is oversensitive to heat. He is up to about a 45 min line with no issues, which is a huge improvement. Honestly, my next goal is to get him to ride things using single rider and once he has done that successfully, we may fade out the DAS completely.

So I guess I'm wondering, should the goal always be to get my child off the assistance? This is what we're working toward in "real life," but it's nice to be on vacation from that at disney.
That's the goal for us, in every area of life. He has come a long, long way in the past several years, and high expectations have been part of that. At Disney, the message to my son has always been, "If you want to go on this ride, you have to stand quietly in the line." It's great motivation, as he really enjoys the rides.

That's the goal for us, in every area of life. He has come a long, long way in the past several years, and high expectations have been part of that. At Disney, the message to my son has always been, "If you want to go on this ride, you have to stand quietly in the line." It's great motivation, as he really enjoys the rides.
Yep, those are our rules too, and we could probably work a DAS pass if we were inclined to do so, given our child's communication disorder, but it's so much easier to just lay out some routine and rules and work with what your child is capable of, and go to a safer calm-down space when it isn't. And yes we "wasted" a FP+ when the tantrum exceeded the patience. We had tapped Mickey, and had waited for 15 minutes but oooooooh she wasn't taking it anymore and we had to navigate out of the queue. Oh well. We went to the bathroom, had a drink, did some low-key people-watching for some time, she was okay with standing in the line again, we went on the ride. It happens. Like when you have to take them out of the store and go sit in the car for a time while they "Let it Go" in the backseat... whatever... it happens. Goodness knows I melt down too many times in public and should take a time-out, smaller people are no different.

I mean, DAS or not, you're still always jammed into a theme park with other people everywhere... you're standing in line for food, waiting for a bench, waiting for your turn on the playground areas, waiting for loved ones to come out of the bathroom, it's just NOTHING but lines of one form or another. Teaching your kids to deal with this challenging situation is no different than the everyday line at the bank, or the grocery store, or any other place outside of the Disney bubble. :)

*high fives to all parenting units who need more than the average level of patience and problem-solving skills sometimes!*

So I guess I'm wondering, should the goal always be to get my child off the assistance? This is what we're working toward in "real life," but it's nice to be on vacation from that at disney. I also don't want to burden the DAS system and ruin it for others that can't function without it, where we were at a few years ago. I guess I'm looking for others' experiences at transitioning as their kids got older and gained more skills.

I think it's great that you are questioning whether he needs the DAS or not. You can always get the DAS renewed but not get a return time, or wait a while before you get it, and see how he does. Or set a limit for him and see how he does - "we are going to use the DAS two times today, which attractions would you like to use it on?"

You can always get the DAS renewed but not get a return time, or wait a while before you get it, and see how he does. Or set a limit for him and see how he does - "we are going to use the DAS two times today, which attractions would you like to use it on?"

This is what I was thinking. With the way you phrased the thread title, I'd answer "you stop getting it when your child stops needing it. We haven't gotten to that point yet with my DD. If your son is doing with with 20 minutes, then try stretching it to 30 and see how he does. You can always revert back to using the DAS if it isn't working well not using it.

I think it's great that you are questioning whether he needs the DAS or not. You can always get the DAS renewed but not get a return time, or wait a while before you get it, and see how he does. Or set a limit for him and see how he does - "we are going to use the DAS two times today, which attractions would you like to use it on?"
I agree with this 100%. For us it's a good thing to have in our back pocket just in case, but that doesn't mean we use it every time.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies! I was worried that I wasn't pushing him enough and enabling his difficulties. But as I was mulling this over more, I remembered that for all the skills he's gained and makes look "easy," he's actually working at least 10 times harder than a typical person at any given time just to hold it together. He has to manage the sensory input, remember the unwritten societal rules, and monitor social interactions in a much more deliberate way than I do. And even when we're utilizing the DAS, he's still actively working on multiple skills that take a lot of energy for him. But I'm not the only one on vacation here, he is too. And if the DAS can still provide some respite for him here and there, he deserves it. He's the hardest working kid I know. So I think I'll continue to get it and encourage him to stretch himself, but I'm not gonna turn his vacation into therapy time. He's already become much more self aware in the past year, he might decide himself that he wants do disney the way others do.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies! I was worried that I wasn't pushing him enough and enabling his difficulties. But as I was mulling this over more, I remembered that for all the skills he's gained and makes look "easy," he's actually working at least 10 times harder than a typical person at any given time just to hold it together. He has to manage the sensory input, remember the unwritten societal rules, and monitor social interactions in a much more deliberate way than I do. And even when we're utilizing the DAS, he's still actively working on multiple skills that take a lot of energy for him. But I'm not the only one on vacation here, he is too. And if the DAS can still provide some respite for him here and there, he deserves it. He's the hardest working kid I know. So I think I'll continue to get it and encourage him to stretch himself, but I'm not gonna turn his vacation into therapy time. He's already become much more self aware in the past year, he might decide himself that he wants do disney the way others do.

I'm an adult with ASD and I typically get a DAS at Disney now (I wasn't aware of it until recently). You are 100% spot on that even once you acquire skills and make it look "easy," there is still a ton of hard work going on behind the scenes. It's absolutely wonderful to know you can do something and do it like everyone else, but is also nice to be able to relax and enjoy your vacation. Using the DAS to mitigate my sensory exposure and particular issues with some queue environments when I need it so that I can thoroughly enjoy my vacation has been a total game changer for me. It's great to encourage and help your son to learn to recognize when he needs to use something like the DAS vs when he is capable of waiting in a queue, but as long as it is evident he is not electing to avoid waiting in a line in favor of the DAS because he knows he can instead of he needs to in that particular moment, is it so wrong to continue to get a DAS for him unless he specifically indicates himself it is not needed? Ultimately, the DAS is just another tool to help and not a golden ticket to the front of the line.

And if the DAS can still provide some respite for him here and there, he deserves it.

Couldn't agree more especially as you go on vacation for a bit of R&R so if having the DAS gives him a slightly easier time on his holibobs, do it, as at the end of the day that is what its there for :)

Sound like he doing so well and you should be proud, I'm just starting out on our ASD family journey, only had my 3 year old diagnosed last year.

Although in that time have been to Disney and found the DAS pass so helpful and will for many years to come, as it make his experience better. It also makes me less stressed which is also a benefit as I'm sure when I get anxious he senses it which make him more anxious.

Our approach to the DAS has always been to use it as minimally as possible. We find he usually does OK at the beginning of the trip, but starts to get more sensitive to everything as the week goes on. We have a couple of lines where the lines itself (not the length) is an issue (both Toy Story rides - too many lights, sounds, etc. and he's terrified of the Buzz and Potato Head animatronics) It's overwhelming even without a wait.) My son is still young enough that he doesn't understand the DAS which makes it a bit easier to not use it. It's always good to have it in your back pocket if you need it, but definitely try to stretch his time. Make it a BIG deal if he makes it through the day without using it or using it a minimal number of times.

I have to admit, I like the ability to get a return time for something after the fastpasses have run out as well as waiting elsewhere.
The point to stop is when you're using the benefit for yourself or when it's a want and not a need. That's exactly why GAC wasn't sustainable and why DAS won't be if people abuse it too.
And if the DAS can still provide some respite for him here and there, he deserves it.
You don't think skipping the lines would be a respite for anyone on vacation? Disney provides access to the attractions for people otherwise could not access the attraction through the queue, not because your vacation is more deserving of special treatment than anyone else.

The point to stop is when you're using the benefit for yourself or when it's a want and not a need. That's exactly why GAC wasn't sustainable and why DAS won't be if people abuse it too.

I totally agree, which was the reason for my self-reflection.

You don't think skipping the lines would be a respite for anyone on vacation? Disney provides access to the attractions for people otherwise could not access the attraction through the queue, not because your vacation is more deserving of special treatment than anyone else.

Very true. My words were not intended to imply anyone is more deserving than another. I simply meant that if utilizing the DAS makes his vacation experience more like a typical person's experience (measured by enjoyment level, not by actual experiences), then it is still appropriate for him to use it as needed. Because let's face it, it's not really just for "access to the attractions for people otherwise could not access the attraction through the queue" because that would limit DAS to just people with mobility difficulties. We can force our kids through the queue, but it would significantly reduce the enjoyment level of the child, the family, as well as all the other guests in the vicinity. :scared: :)

Very true. My words were not intended to imply anyone is more deserving than another. I simply meant that if utilizing the DAS makes his vacation experience more like a typical person's experience (measured by enjoyment level, not by actual experiences), then it is still appropriate for him to use it as needed. Because let's face it, it's not really just for "access to the attractions for people otherwise could not access the attraction through the queue" because that would limit DAS to just people with mobility difficulties. We can force our kids through the queue, but it would significantly reduce the enjoyment level of the child, the family, as well as all the other guests in the vicinity. :scared: :)
Most of the queues are accessible for people with mobility issues. Even for something like avoiding stairs, in most cases the queue is still semi-accessible and people bypass the stairs. There are other reasons why people can't go through the queue. There are people who want to think it's for bypassing the line/wait, it's for bypassing the physical queue. I disagree that DAS is for the vacation experience, it's for accessing the ride. If the parks don't provide the vacation experience someone wants, it might not be the right place for them. No one's life goes on pause when they enter the parks, everyone takes all of their issues with them, that's the typical experience, there's no pass Disney can give for that.

Most of the queues are accessible for people with mobility issues. Even for something like avoiding stairs, in most cases the queue is still semi-accessible and people bypass the stairs. There are other reasons why people can't go through the queue. There are people who want to think it's for bypassing the line/wait, it's for bypassing the physical queue. I disagree that DAS is for the vacation experience, it's for accessing the ride. If the parks don't provide the vacation experience someone wants, it might not be the right place for them. No one's life goes on pause when they enter the parks, everyone takes all of their issues with them, that's the typical experience, there's no pass Disney can give for that.

I'm not suggesting Disney can or should try to make a pass to attain someone's perfect vacation. I think you're reading much more into this than meant. But I disagree that the DAS is solely for people who simply cannot go through the queue. In reading their marketing for the DAS, they refer to the "the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney" multiple times, as well as suggesting the use of the DAS for those that have "difficulty waiting in line" as well as those you mentioned, "whose disability prevents them from waiting in a conventional queue environment." If Disney believed "everyone takes all of their issues with them," as you say, there would be no DAS and none of that disney magic so many of us feel each time we're there. Actually, I think "life goes on pause when they enter the parks" is exactly Disney's marketing goal. :tink::D

I totally agree, which was the reason for my self-reflection.

I by no means wish a poor vacation experience on anyone, but I disagree that the purpose of DAS is to increase enjoyment level. Enjoyment is a want, not a need. The idea of being given a return time to go in the fast pass lane would increase the enjoyment of many guests because they are then able to use the restroom, shop, have a snack, etc instead of waiting in the traditional queue where there's no access to any of these things. I also disagree that it's for anyone who has difficulty waiting in line as young kids and toddlers typically have a tough time standing and waiting in a long line. Toddlers (depending on age) are too young to understand why they're stuck in a line with a bunch of strangers and can't comprehend that there's a ride at the end of the line, or why they see the ride but can't go on it right away. They get overstimulated and scream, cry, and sometimes annoy other guests in lines. They would have more enjoyment from running around outside a queue before getting into a shorter fastpass line. It would be easier and more enjoyable for their parents physically and mentally as the stress of dealing with a cranky toddler tries their patience, plus if the toddler will not stand patiently without trying to run off, the parent then has to hold the toddler through the line as strollers aren't permitted in queues except when being used as a wheelchair for those with disabilities. In many cases it could improve the enjoyment of other guests as well as they then don't have to listen to a cranky toddler in line. But DAS isn't made for those who can wait but just have difficulty waiting or would enjoy the experience more waiting elsewhere.

Directly from Disney's Modified DAS FAQ:
"DAS is intended for Guests whose disability prevents them from waiting in a conventional queue environment." It also states, "The goal of DAS is to accommodate Guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability." It specifically states that it's for those guests whose disability prevents them from waiting. It seems to indicate that it is for those who would not be able to ride if they had to wait in the standby queue, thus a NEED for them to be able to even go on the ride. ADA requirements have never been about making enjoyment equal (especially since there is no "typical" enjoyment level as everyone's enjoyment of every aspect of life varies greatly), but providing access to things that those with disabilities would otherwise be unable to access.

I am in no way trying to say that those with disabilities don't have a tough time or that they shouldn't enjoy their vacation, merely that it is not the point of a DAS to provide that enjoyment.

I by no means wish a poor vacation experience on anyone, but I disagree that the purpose of DAS is to increase enjoyment level. Enjoyment is a want, not a need. The idea of being given a return time to go in the fast pass lane would increase the enjoyment of many guests because they are then able to use the restroom, shop, have a snack, etc instead of waiting in the traditional queue where there's no access to any of these things. I also disagree that it's for anyone who has difficulty waiting in line as young kids and toddlers typically have a tough time standing and waiting in a long line. Toddlers (depending on age) are too young to understand why they're stuck in a line with a bunch of strangers and can't comprehend that there's a ride at the end of the line, or why they see the ride but can't go on it right away. They get overstimulated and scream, cry, and sometimes annoy other guests in lines. They would have more enjoyment from running around outside a queue before getting into a shorter fastpass line. It would be easier and more enjoyable for their parents physically and mentally as the stress of dealing with a cranky toddler tries their patience, plus if the toddler will not stand patiently without trying to run off, the parent then has to hold the toddler through the line as strollers aren't permitted in queues except when being used as a wheelchair for those with disabilities. In many cases it could improve the enjoyment of other guests as well as they then don't have to listen to a cranky toddler in line. But DAS isn't made for those who can wait but just have difficulty waiting or would enjoy the experience more waiting elsewhere.

Directly from Disney's Modified DAS FAQ:
"DAS is intended for Guests whose disability prevents them from waiting in a conventional queue environment." It also states, "The goal of DAS is to accommodate Guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability." It specifically states that it's for those guests whose disability prevents them from waiting. It seems to indicate that it is for those who would not be able to ride if they had to wait in the standby queue, thus a NEED for them to be able to even go on the ride. ADA requirements have never been about making enjoyment equal (especially since there is no "typical" enjoyment level as everyone's enjoyment of every aspect of life varies greatly), but providing access to things that those with disabilities would otherwise be unable to access.

I am in no way trying to say that those with disabilities don't have a tough time or that they shouldn't enjoy their vacation, merely that it is not the point of a DAS to provide that enjoyment.

The DAS is intended to help those with disabilities who are unable to tolerate extended wait times.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/cognitive-disabilities-services/

Using a neurotypical toddler and the general public as an example is comparing apples to oranges. There is not an underlying disability within that example. As the adult, you could theroretically force a child with a neurodevelopmental disability to wait in any line. They could still physically be placed on the ride after that as well, no matter their emotional or mental state (up to a certain point). Your kid is not actually experiencing the park in any meaningful way at that point compared to their neurotypical peers, but they will physically make it through the queue.

However, if you're not a cruel person, you're not going to do something like that. Instead, you're going to access what services Disney provides for your child with a disability that allows your child the flexibility to access rides in a way that does not unduly aggravate the particular set of issues they are challenged with, allowing them equal access to experience the park. As a byproduct, your child is likely to enjoy their experience a whole lot more than being dragged from one awful experience to the next.

A byproduct of the DAS is allowing those with hidden disabilities across the board (and sometimes those with visible) who cannot tolerate some aspect of traditional queue environments the equal opportunity to enjoy their family vacations as any other family in the park not combating a disability during their visit. That may not be the primary purpose of the DAS, but improved access generally leads to a better quality of life which in turn lends the opportunity for greater levels of enjoyment. It's all connected.

I by no means wish a poor vacation experience on anyone, but I disagree that the purpose of DAS is to increase enjoyment level.

Wait a minute as I might be being completely dumb (Which is noting new for me) but for me definitely one of the knock on effect is it will increase the enjoyment of the person and the party.

My son can't do queues and being held in line for a long time surrounded by lots of other people is really a huge problem for him and we would end up in overload junction.

So the DAS let him bypass that horror for him, ergo making his trip Far more enjoyable that it would have otherwise have been. Also as I said before as I knew I wouldn't be unnecessary stressing him out in queue, made me have a much more enjoyable holiday as I could relax a tiny bit (I am mother so I'm always in some level of worry:eek:)

As ASD (Well frankly nearly all disabilities) can be really quite complex and it would depend on the situation. For example, they could be able to queue for something that they are familiar with like in their school for Lunch, as they do it everyday, then put them in a Disney queue with different lighting smell and different people and you can potentially have melt down city.

So I fully stand by getting it even if you think you might not use it all the time, as one of your Disney days might be particularly busy, noisy or you little one might just be overwhelmed by the whole experience and needs a little help :thumbsup2

The DAS is intended to help those with disabilities who are unable to tolerate extended wait times.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/cognitive-disabilities-services/

Using a neurotypical toddler and the general public as an example is comparing apples to oranges. There is not an underlying disability within that example. As the adult, you could theroretically force a child with a neurodevelopmental disability to wait in any line. They could still physically be placed on the ride after that as well, no matter their emotional or mental state (up to a certain point). Your kid is not actually experiencing the park in any meaningful way at that point compared to their neurotypical peers, but they will physically make it through the queue.

However, if you're not a cruel person, you're not going to do something like that. Instead, you're going to access what services Disney provides for your child with a disability that allows your child the flexibility to access rides in a way that does not unduly aggravate the particular set of issues they are challenged with, allowing them equal access to experience the park. As a byproduct, your child is likely to enjoy their experience a whole lot more than being dragged from one awful experience to the next.

A byproduct of the DAS is allowing those with hidden disabilities across the board (and sometimes those with visible) who cannot tolerate some aspect of traditional queue environments the equal opportunity to enjoy their family vacations as any other family in the park not combating a disability during their visit. That may not be the primary purpose of the DAS, but improved access generally leads to a better quality of life which in turn lends the opportunity for greater levels of enjoyment. It's all connected.

Of course improved access generally leads to greater enjoyment-- but the point is that the DAS is not there simply to lead to greater enjoyment. It may be a byproduct, but it's there to facilitate access for those who are otherwise unable to access the ride, much the same way that guests in wheelchairs were taken in through a different line before the queues became wheelchair accessible. As a PP pointed out, it is there for those who NEED it, not just because a guest wants it, and not just to have a more enjoyable experience. I fully understand that DAS is there for those with non-mobility disabilities, whether they are visibly apparent or not, but it is for when they cannot tolerate the queue, and would otherwise be unable to ride. I am in no way advocating for taking a disabled child who is kicking and screaming through the queue, just as I would hope no one would force anyone on a ride, regardless of whether or not they have a disability, if they are in that state. If someone has a disability where they are not able to tolerate the traditional queue due to the something in the queue itself, or the wait or whatever it may be, then absolutely, they should be afforded access to wait elsewhere. But when they are able to tolerate the line/queue, but it would be more ENJOYABLE for them not to, that's where the issue arises. It would be more enjoyable for many to not wait in the regular queue, but if you are able to tolerate it, then there is no reason to use DAS for that particular attraction. There may be other queues with longer waits or something else in the queue that a person with a neuro disability cannot tolerate and needs a DAS for, but for the lines that they can tolerate, DAS shouldn't be used when it's not needed.

In regards to your comment about neurotypical toddlers, I was merely pointing out that they are generally unable to understand the concept of waiting, throw fits, become overstimulated, panic etc. They can theoretically be dragged through the line and allowed on the ride and they will not be having an enjoyable or meaningful experience at that point any more than someone on the spectrum who is being forced through the line is. The average age for an autism diagnosis is 4, so it's a possibility that a toddler who is lashing out could have undiagnosed autism, so there could be an underlying disability in that example, and it's not always apples to oranges. The whole reason for me even bringing up the toddler analogy was because OP discussed how an autistic kid waiting in the queue would decrease the enjoyment of the child, family, and other guests. I was only stating that a toddler having to wait in a long queue also reduces the enjoyment of the child, family, and other guests, but they don't receive DAS. I am in no way arguing that toddlers should receive DAS, just that the DAS is not there simply to increase guest enjoyment. Enjoyment may be a byproduct of utilizing DAS, but it isn't what should determine qualification or anyone who would enjoy not waiting in the regular queue could receive it.

OP stated that her son could wait for at least 20 minutes and probably longer, and that they made a 2 week trip without it. That seemed to indicate that it wasn't needed. If OP finds it is needed, she can get one, but it shouldn't be used simply to increase enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter