At what ppp does HHI become a viable option despite the high annual dues?

I was able to get a 1-BR for four nights in October on cash, and there were several nights around my dates that I could have booked. Maybe I just lucked out. Now when I look, 2-BRs are the only thing available. The GV was never available.

I'm thinking we will want to keep our 100 HHI points for times that we might have to go in the summer or for banking and borrowing to get a GV and then booking on cash during the off-season. 100 points won't get us far though, so whether to add a small resale is what I'm trying to decide.
Sc law requires disney to own 4% of dhhir.
After the refurb, i notice more cash availability at dhhir at 7 months.

Have you been to Disney’s HHI resort?

Not meaning to get into a debate, but OP has expressed liking it so I’m not sure why you seem to want to push VB. OP might be like me—wants to vacation at HHI often and has no interest in VB (one and done for us). OP’s question is if it’s worth it to buy HHI points, not should we buy HHI or VB.
I have not been to Disney's resort at HHI, I hear really great things and hope to get there one day. I personally would not want to own HHI points. I do struggle with the lack of amenities compared to more robust resorts - oceanfront and otherwise. I haven't gone yet because personally, I find the idea of staying somewhere that doesn't have the amenities of say Hyatt Residence Club Bonita Springs or the direct beach access of Disney's Vero Beach to be somewhat unappealing - but - in the right context, I could see HHI being compelling to someone else.

My desire was not to push VB which I also don't think makes sense to own - in fact if there was one option I would push it was buying SAP points - maybe at SSR and gambling on the 7 month window.

I have not been to Disney's resort at HHI, I hear really great things and hope to get there one day. I personally would not want to own HHI points. I do struggle with the lack of amenities compared to more robust resorts - oceanfront and otherwise. I haven't gone yet because personally, I find the idea of staying somewhere that doesn't have the amenities of say Hyatt Residence Club Bonita Springs or the direct beach access of Disney's Vero Beach to be somewhat unappealing - but - in the right context, I could see HHI being compelling to someone else.

My desire was not to push VB which I also don't think makes sense to own - in fact if there was one option I would push it was buying SAP points - maybe at SSR and gambling on the 7 month window.
OP wasn’t asking about lack of amenities at or location of the resort. The first sentence of OP’s post is “I really like HHI.” The question is if the math works out to buy a low-cost resale despite high annual dues. As others have said, it doesn’t. But “gambling on the 7 month window” doesn’t always work at HHI, thus the need to own points. I have AKV points right now and have been toying with the idea of selling them to own more HHI points because that’s where I want to stay. Probably a bad investment, but it allows for me to pretty much have a guaranteed room there. For someone like me who wants to vacation there and nowhere else, it might be worth it. For OP, it might be; it might not be. Depends on how much OP likes it and wants to stay there.

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of is that refurbs decrease the supply while it is happening. Once the refurb is done, then availability is back o normal again.
So what you’re saying is there hasn’t been a lot of availability during the refurb but now that’s it’s finishing up you are seeing more? I have no knowledge of booking on cash except this one time. I just know I was excited when I was able to book on cash this time because the price was great and it allowed me to save points for next year’s family trip. I just hope booking in the future on cash will be this easy.

So what would cause the refurb to change availability?
Before the refurb, disney appeared to only released dhhir cash rooms around the 60 day mark.

Now it appears disney releases dhhir cash rooms around the 7 month mark.

I also think disney was using their points to hold the rooms in case of refurb issues.

Since there is not another location they could move someone like at wdw.

So what you’re saying is there hasn’t been a lot of availability during the refurb but now that’s it’s finishing up you are seeing more? I have no knowledge of booking on cash except this one time. I just know I was excited when I was able to book on cash this time because the price was great and it allowed me to save points for next year’s family trip. I just hope booking in the future on cash will be this easy.
My family without dvc books dhhir on cash so i help them watch for availability. But we have only been with dvc/dhhir since 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter