Atlantis by Aulani

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
Where can I find updates on the construction of Atlantis beside Aulani? I am wanting to plan a trip there for September 2020, but I'm worried about construction close by.

The only work at present is to the chapel that once stood next to Aulani. It was all fenced off bring demolished and there was pipe work along the main roads. That was it as at last December.

Wondering if this project will every get going. We were at Aulani in May 2017 and the story was hot then. They even did some sort of site preparation and demo of existing structures then. But I've heard of nothing further.

I predict it opens in 2193. The same year Hawaii legalizes gambling.
Sounds like I'm safe for booking next September then. :yay:
Seriously though, this will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us, so I want to at least try to go at a good time.

We would be really surprised if the Atlantis resort goes ahead. Disney really had a very difficult time getting approval to build Aulani. Based upon the renderings from the Atlantis resort..this thing will really stand out in the area. I would also not be surprised if Disney joins to fight against the Atlantis resort getting approval. Aulani and Disney would need to make some massive changes to the Aulani resort offerings if the Atlantis resort does get built. While we love all things Disney...there's just not enough on offer to compete with what the proposed Atlantis resort is offering.

Just checked the city's website and the owner hasn't even applied for a building permit yet. Back in 2008, it took over two years for Aulani to apply for and obtain a building permit. Inspectors were more lax back then and it was common to start work before the final building permit approval was issued. I no longer work in the industry, but I've heard that this practice is no longer allowed. It's going to be a while . . . a loooooong while before anyone needs to worry about construction noise.

So does anyone think that Covid-19 is the final nail in the Atlantis coffin?

Or will it rise from the ashes and still get built?

So does anyone think that Covid-19 is the final nail in the Atlantis coffin?

Or will it rise from the ashes and still get built?
I've always been skeptical about that development. I'm sure at some point something will be built on that lot, but it will be some time before that happens and I doubt it will be Atlantis. I'd expect a developer will wait until tourism rebounds before committing to a new project.

Sounds like I'm safe for booking next September then. :yay:
Seriously though, this will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us, so I want to at least try to go at a good time.
We were there when they were renovating the Four Seasons. It was fine. Just make sure to book Oceanview (especially since its a dream trip) and you wont even see it. Only the Island View on the Ewa building will be greatly effected. If you book OV you'll be facing inward to to the pools and Ocean. There are a few OV on the back side of that building, I would specifically request a room or the other tower if you want to be certain.

We were there when they were renovating the Four Seasons. It was fine. Just make sure to book Oceanview (especially since its a dream trip) and you wont even see it. Only the Island View on the Ewa building will be greatly effected. If you book OV you'll be facing inward to to the pools and Ocean. There are a few OV on the back side of that building, I would specifically request a room or the other tower if you want to be certain.
And I was worried about construction affecting my trip to Aulani in September 2020. I was lucky that I ended up not booking. It would have been cancelled anyway. We are pushing our Hawaii trip back to 2025. Maybe we won't have to deal with Covid or construction by then.

I wish Disney would just buy that land and extend Aulani
I do too. But considering that they still haven't sold out the DVC portion of the resort I doubt that's being considered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!