August 2020 Reservations-still going?

Well, we got a call a couple of days ago following up on final payment for our 2 week August trip (and asking if we were ok to be moved from All Star Music to Pop). We knew we probably wouldn't go but couldn't bring ourselves to admit it and even made park reservations. We cancelled.

Called today and cancelled our APs as well.

This was our big blowout 2 week free dining trip with our family to celebrate our upcoming 20th anniversary. So sad.

While the precautions Disney is taking looks pretty safe, I just couldn't discount the risk of travelling there - from Canada so only way is to fly with the borders closed. Being in a space where people are gathering from all over also increases the risk of being exposed to the virus. And of course, the case counts in Florida keep going up -I'd be crazy to travel from my relatively safe place in Ontario with barely any community transmission to a higher risk zone, with all the attendant immune busters of travel excitement and less sleep. Quarantining is no biggie - kids are in postsecondary and everything is online next semester. DH and I are home all the time already.

But yes, the optics of it are just bad. And frankly, although we hate to think of it, both DH and I have risk factors and it jist wouldn't be smart.

Last edited:
PIF for our trip yesterday, and our first package of MBs were delivered, so I'm basically holding my breath about another state-wide shut-down or something because that's how things ALWAYS go for us. I'm still excited to go even though I know I'll definitely get flack from family/friends about it. Oh well.

A week out here and have finally found a plan that makes us feel comfortable enough to go. Our son’s school start was pushed back even further so he’ll be no threat to other students whatsoever. The Walgreens right near us does drive thru testing so we’ll be quarantining upon return (we already WFH full time) and testing somewhere between 5-7 days upon return. We are one night at Boardwalk and four nights at Swan. Three days in the park and two by the pool. Finally excited and looking forward to a much needed getaway!
I wish we had a drive through testing place. That would work great if you didn’t have to do 14 day quarantine.

7 days away from leaving. I’m giving a big side eye to the hurricane! I know it will be gone by the time we get there, but I’m nervous about it causing a shut down or doing a lot of damage. I really don’t breathe easy about this trip until I’m in the Caribbean Beach parking lot!

7 days away from leaving. I’m giving a big side eye to the hurricane! I know it will be gone by the time we get there, but I’m nervous about it causing a shut down or doing a lot of damage. I really don’t breathe easy about this trip until I’m in the Caribbean Beach parking lot!
I think you will be fine.

We leave in 10 days and also driving! My husband isn't going bc he is returning to the office next week so it's just me and my 3 kids. I also won't breathe easier until we reach BLT!! 😳😳😊😊😂😂

We leave Sunday... driving down and will just miss the hurricane. Looks like it will be a wet week!

We leave Sunday... driving down and will just miss the hurricane. Looks like it will be a wet week!

We arrive on 8/6 and yes the week looks pretty rainy! That's ok, maybe that will thin out the already thin crowds?! Drive safe!

Here now if anyone has any questions! Arrived yesterday PHL to MCO on Southwest. Rented a car and are at Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) through Monday, then will be at Disney the rest of the week ( Kidani). There are 4 of us, DS are 14 and 8.

How was PHL airport? We leave the 11th on a SW flight and the philly airport is on of my stressors.

How was PHL airport? We leave the 11th on a SW flight and the philly airport is on of my stressors.

It was much busier than I expected but we could mostly keep our distance. Security was the worst, people, mostly screeners/workers really close. There are plenty of food options open but not many shops. Economy parking is not open, but LT parking in the garage is at a reduced rate. We didn’t want to risk shuttling. Mask compliance was pretty good with passengers, not great with employees (probably 75%). We didn’t see any issues with masks on the plane which was only about 30-40% full. We had lots of empty rows around us.

Here now if anyone has any questions! Arrived yesterday PHL to MCO on Southwest. Rented a car and are at Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) through Monday, then will be at Disney the rest of the week ( Kidani). There are 4 of us, DS are 14 and 8.
What time was your flight?

It was much busier than I expected but we could mostly keep our distance. Security was the worst, people, mostly screeners/workers really close. There are plenty of food options open but not many shops. Economy parking is not open, but LT parking in the garage is at a reduced rate. We didn’t want to risk shuttling. Mask compliance was pretty good with passengers, not great with employees (probably 75%). We didn’t see any issues with masks on the plane which was only about 30-40% full. We had lots of empty rows around us.
I never even thought about economy parking not being available until reading your post and was glad to hear this as it was a concern for us with the buses and planning for time, etc. We were looking into just paying the higher price to park in the garage. So I checked and turns out our airport is doing the exact same as yours with the reduced rate.

Also, thank you for the updates you've been giving in the various WDW and UO threads :). We are scheduled to leave next weekend and have a similar trip as you - we've rented a car, starting at UO with EPs (which we were wondering if we'd need - appreciate the on the ground reports you posted over there), and then moving to WDW. I've been struggling with aspects of this trip for many same reasons as we all are, and reading your posts and experiences have been so helpful.

Are there still coffee makers in the rooms at Kidani? (And which kind....pot, Keurig, or the things with the pods?) Are they doing a mobile order option for breakfast at Sanaa? I soooo wish they were opening the mara before we go, but we are just planning on making sure we eat dinner in the parks and probably get a snack as well.

Slightly OT, but just voted today in our state, and was so scared. They had zero changes to the pre-Covid procedure and it was a long winding indoor line, tiny stuffy room with no ventilation, and no spacing between polling stations or at the check in counter. I kept thinking the whole time OMG I why can't everywhere be like Disney World now, with social distancing markers, mask enforcement, and capacity limits. Made me feel a lot of respect and gratitude for the measures Disney has implemented. Now I just PRAY that I don't get sick from that awful voting experience before my trip. I have to say even yesterday I started to have doubts again, but this just made me feel 100% more committed to going on our trip, assuming we stay well. Eeek.

I just cancelled my room reservations (four rooms for ten people) for August 29 arrival. The NY-FL mutual quarantines were the biggest factors, but the fact that JetBlue cancelled our flight down to Orlando was a factor too. (That turned out to be a good thing; I got a refund rather than a flight credit). I had been delaying my decision, but when Disney called to change my rooms from All-Star Music to Pop Century, I decided to cancel now.

Well, we got a call a couple of days ago following up on final payment for our 2 week August trip (and asking if we were ok to be moved from All Star Music to Pop). We knew we probably wouldn't go but couldn't bring ourselves to admit it and even made park reservations. We cancelled.

Called today and cancelled our APs as well.

This was our big blowout 2 week free dining trip with our family to celebrate our upcoming 20th anniversary. So sad.

While the precautions Disney is taking looks pretty safe, I just couldn't discount the risk of travelling there - from Canada so only way is to fly with the borders closed. Being in a space where people are gathering from all over also increases the risk of being exposed to the virus. And of course, the case counts in Florida keep going up -I'd be crazy to travel from my relatively safe place in Ontario with barely any community transmission to a higher risk zone, with all the attendant immune busters of travel excitement and less sleep. Quarantining is no biggie - kids are in postsecondary and everything is online next semester. DH and I are home all the time already.

But yes, the optics of it are just bad. And frankly, although we hate to think of it, both DH and I have risk factors and it jist wouldn't be smart.

FWIW, I think that you made a wise decision. WDW will still be there when Covid is a bad memory, IMO. Better safe than sorry. Plus, Ontario has some wonderful vacation spots that you could enjoy for this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!