August - Are we insane?

DisneylandDarling

Dreams of Disney
We're planning a trip for early August (4th-8th) of this year for my son's 8th birthday. Is this even relatively feasible? First timers to Florida. What is the weather like? Possibilities of hurricanes? Crowds?

Also, what does the availability of FP look like or ressies? I guess I can't plan much until we purchase tickets or make a vacation package, but not sure if I want to do that yet.

I appreciate your help, everything seems so overwhelming! ;)

I want to make sure it's a good first-time trip, but if we need to reschedule to make that happen - we will.

It is hot, humid and a change of rain every afternoon. Yes it’s hurricane season, and there is a chance of a hurricane. I’m going around the same time and was able to get fast passes and still could get almost everything. It’s the summer and yes it will be busy, but doable.

If you are going to go, I’d make fast passes ahead of time, you can always change them.

Thousands upon thousands of people go in August, so yes it's very feasible! It's just not the best time to go depending on how you handle heat.

Can you push it to late September? Lower crowds and not AS hot, but the possiblity of storms remain.

It's very hot and very humid so make sure to bring light clothes, sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, cooling towels, water.

I went outside just a little bit ago at 11pm and the humidity already is nearly unbearable. It's brutal outside. If you guys don't handle the heat well or think you won't have fun when temps feel like their in the high 90's, then I'd try to plan a trip for later in the year. Those from outside the state don't realize how hot it is here. 90 degrees in Florida is not the same 90 degrees in say Tennessee

Crowds will be heavy. There are year round and there's no slow times anymore. It won't be slammed like NYE or Christmas but be prepared for majority of rides to be 30+ min waits.

You'll want to link tickets as soon as possible and make FP's. Unless you can't get tickets until your at the parks then there's no reason to not have FP's. You'll definitely want them

Reservations.. Get on there now and book. For your trip dates your window to start booking opened up a few months ago.

Hurricanes.. Don't worry about it. Chances are very slim and it's nothing you can plan around. Hurricane season is May 15th-Nov 30th, so a little over half the year

This will be our 4th August trip! We're from Houston though, and very used to the heat and humidity. Pick a resort with a good pool and plan on mid-day breaks.

We went in August two years ago..and as a kid my family and I always went during summer break..looking back I don’t know how we did it. Then again when you’re a child at Disney you don’t care about the heat. Now as an adult, the heat is much harder for me to deal with. The only reason we managed two years ago, is bc we either went early in the morning, left mid day and then went back at night, OR we just simply stayed at the pool all day and then around 4 or 5 (when it’s not as brutally hot, but still pretty hot lol,) we ventured into the parks. We usually did the latter. This especially worked with Epcot and Magic Kingdom Bc the parks are open super late during August. We are night owls to begin with so we love the parks late at night, and they usually aren’t crowded Bc most normal people are sleeping lol. I don’t handle the heat well, and the humidity just makes it unbearable, BUT many people do it every year. This year we are going in October, and to be honest I think we will continue to avoid the summer, for us it’s just too brutal.
As far as FPs go I HIGHLY recommend them at all times, especially during the summer. If you decide to go in August and book soon, you will probably be good with FP arrangements, bc your booking window would have opened on June 4, for August 4th trip. Yes you’re two weeks behind, but you can make it work! The more popular rides may be difficult, but be vigilant and you should be able to get FPs for whatever you want. There is a ton of FP advice on this board from true experts, so check those out. Dining reservations also shouldn’t be a major issue, might be more difficult for dining Bc you can book those 6 months before your stay, but like I said be vigilant about it and you’ll be fine. Hope your son has a happy bday!

Last edited:
August will be hot but not as crowded as fall or spring. Prepare for heat and rain.

We're planning a trip for early August (4th-8th) of this year for my son's 8th birthday. Is this even relatively feasible? First timers to Florida. What is the weather like? Possibilities of hurricanes? Crowds?
Depends what type of weather you're used to. If you live in a place with very humid, hot summers, then it may not be that different. Otherwise, it will be quite uncomfortable.

We always go in August, but later in the month. It's hot, wet, and we love it. Yes, get those FP+ ASAP. It will be crowded, there's always a chance of a hurricane, but Disney knows how to handle them, and luckily is inland enough that usually it only messes up one day.

We’ve gone in late August for past 7 years but we also visit sporadically at other times of the year. For a first trip, I would not recommend it. It will be incredibly hot and humid. We know going in we won’t see or do as much as we would at other times of the year but we are in been-there-done -that mode and are ok with half days in the parks. If you can go another time, I would rethink August. Yes, If you go, schedule FP+, to cut down significantly on wait times.

I hate August in Florida but I’m going for the 2nd time this year. With the school schedule it’s the only time that works for us. We went in June/July in 2014 and it was no more comfortable but way more crowded. I definitely miss the elementary school days when time missed in the fall or spring didn’t matter. So yes August is doable but it’s takes a certain pace, can’t go wall to wall every day.

I’ll be there that week. I got my fast passes at 60 days and most of the high end ones are gone but there are plenty of regular type and good rides available. The high in demand restaurants are sold out but some great ones are still available.

I expect much heat, rain, and crowds. I don't see it being super crowded though as the summers have gotten lighter over the years compared to the light times ( go figure )

As for as the heat and humidity being unbearable. I have spent many summers in Florida and while its pretty intense, if it were that unbearable, nobody would go to Disney that time or even live there. Its doable. Just drink water, powerade, and dress light

I don't know if id recommend that time as a first time visitor though.

Last edited:
OP, as others have said, the heat/humidity will be unbearable in August. Plus, if you haven’t made any reservations yet or FP’s, then I would wait until OCt/Nov. the weather will be a little more mild and it will be decorated for Halloween /Xmas.

We have done August at Disney for the past 6 years because of work and school schedules.We are from the Northeast. It is hot very humid and be prepared for late afternoon Thunder storms just about every day.. You can do it. We would get up early hit the park definitely need fast passes and dinner reservations head back to our hotel to rest swim shower and then hit a table service for dinner heading back to a park for the evening. We never found the parks to be terrible with crowds but we are not have to do it all. You need to make a decision soon so you have some flexibility with choices. Have fun!!!

We go in August and are going to be there the first week this year. It is hot and humid! It has been 90 here in Ohio the past few days but Florida seems worse because of the humidity. Plan to go to the parks early, take a break midday and go back in the evening. We still have fun! With a plan you will be fine.

I will add my northerner thoughts in support of many previous posters. It will be hot and humid. Very humid, tropically humid. Dew points in the mid 70's. DW and I went that week two years ago. It was just too hot for her. She won't go in the summer again. I went for a few days last year and plan to go again this year. I can tolerate the heat, at least in the mornings. By the middle of the day the heat of the sun combined with the humidity is too much for me and I retreat to AC.

And it will rain. Every day. Mostly just late afternoon and or early evening short, tropical downpours. Have your ponchos ready. A brief cool down followed by steamy heat as the sun returns.

If you are either used to or at least prepared for this heat then you'll be OK. And while it might not be a vacation favorite, plan to get up early and be at the parks before rope drop. You can get a lot done before the heat really builds. Plan for a midday break back at your resort. Some pool time or perhaps a nap. Then, as the suns goes down, decide what you want to do in the evening.

Obviously, given the crowds WDW enjoys, summer visits can be done. I suspect the first week of August will still be summer crowded. Not holiday crowded but still very busy. The summer crowds don't really diminish until later in the month as schools start up. FP+'s and ADR's will certainly help manage the crowds.

I encourage you to make your decision soon and if you will be staying on site get your FP's made before the 30 day off site window opens.
Wishing your son a pixiedust: birthday visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter