August - Are we insane?

Hurricane Season is officially June 1st-November 30th...so if you go in that time period it's a greater possibility than going outside that time period (as always weather doesn't always work in the confines of specified dates).

I haven't gone in August but I've gone in September and it's hot and humid in September. I drank tons of water and sought shelter in the A/C whenever I could.

Even though I'm talking about September it would still apply for August rain-wise my trip in 2011 had more rain but def. fine for us than our 2017 trip. Our 2017 trip included Irma and it rained 2 times while in the parks- 2 days before the hurricane while we were at Universal and several days after the hurricane at night while we were in DHS. I'd count on rain to be on the safe side for August (and September and the other months in the summer lol). Usually it rains for a shorter time throughout the day.

Last edited:
I just laugh at all the folks who tell other folks that's they should avoid Disney World in the summer because it's hot. Yes, I live in Florida and am used to the weather, but I didn't always. For years I lived in New England and would take summer vacation in Orlando in July/August. Is it hot? Yes. Does that in any way have to mean you don't have an awesome time? Absolutely not. We might sweat at 94 degrees, but I'm pretty sure we don't start melting yet. Take some sunscreen, a water bottle, and a towel for your resort pool or Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach.

We're planning a trip for early August (4th-8th) of this year for my son's 8th birthday. Is this even relatively feasible? First timers to Florida. What is the weather like? Possibilities of hurricanes? Crowds?

Also, what does the availability of FP look like or ressies? I guess I can't plan much until we purchase tickets or make a vacation package, but not sure if I want to do that yet.

I appreciate your help, everything seems so overwhelming! ;)

I want to make sure it's a good first-time trip, but if we need to reschedule to make that happen - we will.

We go in May or early June. Usually always in the spring. I like all those spring flowers. Have been in February and 1 time at Christmas. We are going the third week in September this year. You could not pay me enough to go in July or August. It its hot enough here during those months. Just not going to do FL in the worst part of the summer.

I just laugh at all the folks who tell other folks that's they should avoid Disney World in the summer because it's hot. Yes, I live in Florida and am used to the weather, but I didn't always. For years I lived in New England and would take summer vacation in Orlando in July/August. Is it hot? Yes. Does that in any way have to mean you don't have an awesome time? Absolutely not. We might sweat at 94 degrees, but I'm pretty sure we don't start melting yet. Take some sunscreen, a water bottle, and a towel for your resort pool or Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach.
I'm well used to traveling in the heat but I can understand the cautionary notice to give people.

The heat, seems to be at least, more than anything brings out a lot in us.

1) people don't always drink enough water and in slightly cooler times that's not as important as when it's really hot outside when you may not realize just how dehydrated you are
2) heat makes us, in general, cranky and potentially have a shorter fuse
3) I went to Vegas in June like 9 years ago. It was 103-105 every day. I got home and it was 88 but holy cow was the humidity high that day. Not everyone is so used to that feeling because they look at the temp and think 'oh it's not too bad' but humidity can mean a lot of difference in that. Went to Vegas this past October and a huge difference--nearly hot during the day but not terrible and cooler at night.
4) You're in a theme park where the sun is beating down on you reflecting on the ground, lack of shade, etc and that weighs in on people's decision. IDK I can understand how it can be a perfect storm for people and everyone will handle that differently.

I'm well used to traveling in the heat but I can understand the cautionary notice to give people.

The heat, seems to be at least, more than anything brings out a lot in us.

1) people don't always drink enough water and in slightly cooler times that's not as important as when it's really hot outside when you may not realize just how dehydrated you are
2) heat makes us, in general, cranky and potentially have a shorter fuse
3) I went to Vegas in June like 9 years ago. It was 103-105 every day. I got home and it was 88 but holy cow was the humidity high that day. Not everyone is so used to that feeling because they look at the temp and think 'oh it's not too bad' but humidity can mean a lot of difference in that. Went to Vegas this past October and a huge difference--nearly hot during the day but not terrible and cooler at night.
4) You're in a theme park where the sun is beating down on you reflecting on the ground, lack of shade, etc and that weighs in on people's decision. IDK I can understand how it can be a perfect storm for people and everyone will handle that differently.

That's all helpful and reasonable info. My only point is that I toured the parks (as a tourist form the north country) in the dead of summer, from the time I was a 9-year old, commando style. Had a great time as did the whole family. Basically, I'm calling out the nonsense that says "Oh no! You can't enjoy Disney in the summer months! :eek:". Nonsense. I will say that the very young, very old, and maybe some with certain medical conditions should proceed carefully as it is admittedly very hot.

It's a miserable time to go, yet the crowds are out of this world. It's hot and humid. It's rainy in the afternoon but it doesn't last long.
So, intense crowds, melting in the heat means we will never go in the summer. It's not worth it for us. No amount of Disney magic makes that tolerable.

That's all helpful and reasonable info. My only point is that I toured the parks (as a tourist form the north country) in the dead of summer, from the time I was a 9-year old, commando style. Had a great time as did the whole family. Basically, I'm calling out the nonsense that says "Oh no! You can't enjoy Disney in the summer months! :eek:". Nonsense. I will say that the very young, very old, and maybe some with certain medical conditions should proceed carefully as it is admittedly very hot.
Well ok maybe saying you can't is too extreme but I do think people try consider their audience. In this case the OP would be a first time FL visitor would seem reasonable to at least let them know it's hotter than hot, etc and maybe a different time of year, if possible, might be better for them if they are concerned about things like weather related.

Though admittedly, IMO I'd at least be warning about the heat, etc but don't tend to warn people away.

So, intense crowds, melting in the heat means we will never go in the summer. It's not worth it for us. No amount of Disney magic makes that tolerable.

Totally agree with this. The intensity of the sun combined with high humidity makes it unbearable for us. And we live in the south!

Others have handled the weather. OP, only you can decide how well you and your family will deal with it. Everyone's different.

As for FPs, get those going soon. You're fine with the booking window. Yes, many people book right at the 60-day mark, but the offsite people don't even get their booking window until 30 days out, so depending on where you're staying, you might not have missed anything. I will say that if you're going to go, get your tickets purchased and your hotels set up, and book ASAP. You should be able to get most of what you want, even if not at exactly the times you want. Anything you can't get, you can still probably get on with a reasonable wait if you go right at rope-drop or just before the park closes.

Yes, a Disney vacation requires more planning than most trips, and I don't advise just winging it. But you have plenty of time to plan a fun trip. If you think your family can handle the heat/humidity, then go for it!

It's a miserable time to go, yet the crowds are out of this world. It's hot and humid. It's rainy in the afternoon but it doesn't last long.

When’s the last time you went in the summer

This assessment as to crowds is very outdated. It used to be the case that August was crowded, but the last two years August has been seen some of the lowest crowds in the year (we have seen this widely reported by various reputable blogs, as well as having personal experience from visiting the both summer 2016 and 2017). If the 2018 August hotel rates (deeply discounted) and restaurant availability (widely available; I booked CRT, BOG, and pretty much every character meal just a couple months in advance) is any indication, I have my fingers crossed for another quiet August this year when we go.

Yes it is hot and humid, and yes, bring ponchos for the 20 minute rains every afternoon. Only you know how much heat affects you. It never bothered me, but I grew up in a hot climate. There are so many air conditioned rides and shows; the only time we spend outdoors is walking between attractions.

Definitely get advance fastpasses. Why wouldn't you? It is an included benefit with your ticket/package, and who doesn't like riding rides without a wait?

I've also had great recent experiences with crowds in both June and August. It's entirely feasible and you can have a great time if you have the right expectations for the crowds and weather. I'm from California and am used to the dry heat when visiting Disneyland. The wet air of Florida can be a stifling shock to those who are not used to humidity, but once you've accepted that heat and made plans to stay well hydrated and sunscreened, it can be great.

Very excited for you on your first trip to Florida! Assuming you can't really just go in early November or January if your kid is in school. In that case, I'd much rather go in August than during Christmas week or spring break.

We are going in July and I doubt that's any different than August. It will be our 8th trip in the summer (we went once around Christmas). Wife was a teacher (retired) - we didn't believe in taking the kids out of school, and now my oldest is a teacher also. (As am I, part time at night for a local college).

So what really can be said? It's very hot and humid. Duh! Those that say it's unbearable mean of course for them. If it were literally "unbearable" the parks would be empty. FAR from it!

So it's really simply obvious logic - stay hydrated / leave time for mid-day rest at the pool (or naps in the room!); try to plan so that you're not outside more than maybe 30 minutes at a time before being in AC. That likely means FPs and maybe even skipping some attractions if the standby line is outside and more than 30 minutes.

There is SO much to do, I always say I cannot possibly imagine NOT enjoying my time there even if I didn't go on any of the headliner attractions. And that really wouldn't happen no matter how hot/crowded it is.

Hurricanes - well, that's another story. No way to predict that even a few weeks in advance.

But heavy rain? Consider yourself lucky! Get some good rain shoes/ponchos and laugh through the puddles etc as your realize how short the lines suddenly became! We had one trip when it rained nearly every time we were at the park. Probably saw more that time than any other.

We go every August and have for years. Yes it’s ridiculously hot and humid. Will probably rain for a bit in afternoons. Crowded but not insane. But we love it. We RD hit the pool and relax at hotel in afternoon and head back out to another park in the evening. Works for us and we always have a great trip!

Some people's level of 'unbearable' is pretty low.
Have gone in August last 3 trips and survived. I HATE heat and humidity, and it is hot and humid there in August... But it can be done
Wear light moisture wicking clothes and sandles, drink plenty of water. Be inside as much as possible and take breaks.

As others say, much depends on YOUR heat tolerance. I live in MD, and summer isn't much different up here than down there, so by time August hits am pretty used to the heat and humidity as are probably everyone in between.

Would I be much happier in 75 degree temps and low humidity ? Yes I would. But can't make it during that time, so August it is.

Eh, we love going in August. The big trick though is to take a break every afternoon, roughly 2:30-5:30pm every day. The upside of August is that every Orlando attraction is designed to be enjoyed in summer-like weather. The hotels have fabulous pools, there's water parks, and there are water effects on many rides that are lots of fun when FL feels like summer.

That said, the folks who try to slog in the parks all afternoon, often end up missing out, because the heat makes everyone sleepy, especially paired with a big pile of theme park junk food and a heavy backpack. Late afternoon siestas are nice. Ice cool beverages are also awesome.

Some trips the weather was in the mid80's, and actually quite nice. Usually temps (only) go as high as the low 90's, then there's a storm. Plan for afternoon storms and you'll be fine. The storms can be quite intense, but often very short.

We bring both plastic ponchos and a compact rain jacket. (the kind that folds up into one pocket; see UNIQLO for one option) DO bring water tolerant shoe/sandals. AVOID (OLD) sneakers if you tend to get stinky feet. (Carry the poncho when rain odds are below 50%, jackets and wear water tolerant shoes when rain odds are higher. High quality hiking-style sandals are wise at WDW; true almost year round at WDW, but especially true in summer. Lots of water, but carry only essentials in the parks.

Consider those storms when choosing dinner ADR locations and clothing choices.

I can't answer your first question though. :) You may well be crazy. We don't know you. :)

Yes IMHO -- too hot and too humid. I stay away from Florida or if I have to be there I stay in the water and/or air conditioning. Not a fun time for theme parks IMHO. Many go and enjoy it, but not me or my family.

we have done August and other months. Doing it again this year for our anniversary. One suggestion is to go to attraction next to each other - limit too much walking across the park.

now, we also do the late night, hang in the pool during the day as well.

We go in May or early June. Usually always in the spring. I like all those spring flowers. Have been in February and 1 time at Christmas. We are going the third week in September this year. You could not pay me enough to go in July or August. It its hot enough here during those months. Just not going to do FL in the worst part of the summer.
I don't get the distinction. I actually think June heat feels worse than August, because our bodies aren't as acclimated.

September is similar to August, except higher odds of a hurricane.

June - aver high 91/low 73, 7.58 inches of rain - record high101
July - 92/74, 7.27 inches of rain - record high 101
August - 92/74, 7.13 inches rain - record high 101
Sept - 90/73, 6.06 inches rain - record high 103

The most recent hurricanes to hit FL (though not necessarily Orlando)
Irma - SEPTEMBER 2017
Wilma - October 2005
Dennis- July 2005
Jeanne - SEPTEMBER 2004
Ivan - SEPTEMBER 2004
Charley - August 2004
Opal - October 1995
Andrew - August - 1992
Elena - SEPTEMBER 1985
Eloise -SEPTEMBER 1975

So half were in September, 2 in August, 2 in October, and 1 in July. Going back to 1854: 19 of 35 = 54% were in September, 9 in October, and 5 in August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter