Aulani (and other Oahu) excursions/activities

Golden Rose

Princess by Choice
We're going to do a combined California and Hawaii trip for spring break (which we have added a few days to, so we'll be gone almost 2 weeks.) We're traveling with our DD, age 3, and our DS, age 9, as well as as my DM and DstepF. All the adults have been to Hawaii, and to multiple islands; neither of the children have. We've decided to stay on Oahu this trip, since we're already doing a lot of flying to get to Hawaii and we're traveling with a 3 year old.

We have a couple of days on Oahu before we check into Aulani. We're definitely taking the kids to the Polynesian Cultural Center. We're either doing Waimea Valley or Kualoa Ranch, but probably not both. We've been to both independently before, but not with kids, and not in many years. Is there any reason to book them through Aulani's excursions? I guess I'm asking if there is anything extra or special that makes it more worth doing with them rather than on your own? I also wonder if one or the other would be better with two children, one just barely 3. Or are they both so wonderful that I should just budget the time to do them, even if it means a little less beach and relax time.

We're hoping to spend the bulk of our time at Aulani once we're there, and we're trying to figure out the best use of our somewhat limited time.

Has anyone done the whale and dolphin watch excursion through Aulani? Has anyone tried a whale watch/dolphin or snorkeling tour through anyone else in the area, such as Wild Side Specialty Tours or Ko Olina Adventures? We really hope to see whales, and we'd love to see dolphins and other marine life.

For those who've felt a little more adventurous, has anyone tried any of the north shore shark tours that put you in the water a shark cage? Anyone tried it with a child? (The 9 year old, not the 3 year old.)

We're trying to do the things we think the kids will enjoy most, with a couple of new things for us.

We did the dolphin watch and it was great. I had allot of trouble getting my kids to leave the resort but the really enjoyed this cruise. Several dolphin sighting, beautiful scenery, easy transportation

We will be doing the Kuloa Ranch, ATV's would be our choice..VERY PRICEY through Aulani!!!!!!!!!!! Can't pass up this excursion whether we decide to do it on our own or through Aulani..The You Tube looks SO AWESOME! The scenery from the ATV's look AWESOME! Our sons are older and I know would absolutely love this!!!! CANNOT WAIT!:yay::dance3:

I have the same exact question...The excursion is pricey through Aulani...
I have been told that it includes rt transportation, private island beach access with barbeque, 2 hour atv experience, a "guide", drinks and snacks...

In our case, we are renting a car anyway... Haven't had time to study this at all to make an informed decision...

Anyone that has done Kuloa Ranch! Your sharing your experience is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!:cheer2:

Another big storm here in the east today! :mad::mad:
Only thing getting me through this VERY SNOWY COLD WINTER is the thought of Aulani in May!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!:cheer2::cheer2::dance3::dance3:

Can't help with those particular excursions, but I booked surfing lessons with Hawaiian Fire directly through them instead of through Aulani and it saved me money for exactly the same experience. Same pick-up, same instructors, same lesson. DD LOVED it and she was 9, so if you are looking for something adventurous for your 9yo, I highly recommend it.

So how many days will you spend just at the resort? Keep in mind that there are lots of family activities (hula lessons, ukelele lessons, etc) as well as the Menehune Trail (we did parts of it 3 different days), character greetings, and of course the lazy river, pools, and slides. And of course, there's Aunty's Beach House if your kids are willing to go there (ours were not, but they were 9 and almost 12).

I'd definitely recommend doing the PCC and anything you absolutely must do before you get to Aulani, because once you get there, your kids will not want to leave. Our kids are not huge pool/beach kids and typically just want a couple of hours in the water, but they wanted to stay at Aulani all day, every day. It is what your kids will want to do most!

We've really only got 6 full days in Hawaii, at this point, plus pieces of two more. (That was the price, so to speak, of stopping in California for a couple of days at the beginning and the end of the trip.)

We're not trying to do anything on our arrival day (Saturday) except rest, and possibly play on the beach if we're up for it. We don't move to Aulani until Tuesday.

Sunday we're planning on doing a combination beach and relax day, and something else. We just haven't figured out what the something else should be. Kualoa Ranch? Waimea Falls? Shark Tour?

Monday - beach in morning, PCC in afternoon/evening

Tuesday - moving to Aulani day - We might try something in the morning (again, Kualoa Ranch, or Waimea Falls?) before we check in. Then we'll spend the rest of the day exploring Aulani.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - We plan to hang out almost exclusively at Aulani, except that we want to try some sort of dolphin/whale-watching trip for a few hours of one day, and we might try a shark tour. We did wonder if we would be better off booking one of the excursions/adventures through Disney, however, if that got us a better guide or something special for the extra money.

Saturday - Check out of Aulani, and hang out until time to leave for our flight.

We're not trying to do Honolulu/Waikiki at all, we're not particularly trying to tour the island, and we're not trying to go to Pearl Harbor. The adults have all done so before, and we're not sure the kids would care about it. We're just trying to figure out which activities and excursions are most worth the time and money, particularly since there is a 3 year old involved. I definitely want to focus on Aulani, but I also don't want my kids to have gone to Hawaii for the first time, and seen ONLY Aulani.

I'm glad to know that the surfing lessons were identical whether you booked directly or through Aulani. I hadn't thought about booking that for DS. How long did the lesson run? Did you participate, too?

DS almost certainly won't want to do much at Aunty's Beach House. DD will probably want to live there. I'm hoping both kids will find a lot to engage them.

DH an I did a shark dive, and it was one of the highlights of our trip! Recommend going early in the morning because wind picks up as the day goes on, and it gets rougher. No kids with us. Check their websites; there might be an age limit. You could combine this with a trip to Matsumoro's for shaved ice, and a visit to other north shore beaches.:beach:

BITTER here in the east...10 degrees and have day off, so I seem to be"glued" to Disboards, haha!

THANKS FOR THE Aulani Excursion Review Site!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Very helpful!:thumbsup2

CANNOT WAIT FOR THAT BEAUTIFUL RESORT! OH, WISH I WERE THERE NOW!:dance3:

Hawaiian Fire picked us up at 8am for the surf lesson and dropped us back off at Aulani at 11am. Of course part of that time is travel and part is a safety lesson and instructions on the board on the beach. No, I did not surf, I just paid to go as a ride along. Your DS would have to do a private lesson since he's a child. You could surf also but would have a different instructor. Our group had DD with her private lesson (although the instructor helped one of the other kids, too, since DD was a natural) and then a dad and two kids 12 and 13 with an instructor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter