Aulani on a budget...

Stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights in January, it exceeded my expectations, large clean room, I believe 2 double beds, a balcony, and we received an upgrade to an ocean view. I booked the room on points through Marriott since it was cheaper than the Sheraton and The Royal Hawaiian. We stayed at the Sheraton our last night, after the Aulani stay, it is beach front and we had an amazing ocean view, but overall we liked the Marriott better. The Sheraton was very busy, and we enjoyed the beach by the Marriott much more. Very short walk from the Marriott to the beach, although not ocean front it is less than a block away.

We stayed in the Lagoon Tower at the HHV. It's part of the Hilton Grand Vacation Club, which has 4 towers. We enjoyed it a lot, would totally go back one of these days. There are rentals directly through Hilton - 1 bedroom units start from about $300, it would be a king bed and a sofa bed though, and 2 bedroom units start over $400.

If pools are important to you, certain towers have access to certain pools, so that would be something to look closely at.

Agree with the list of pros and cons by @alohamom, although we didn't find it too crowded when we went in early December (think it's a slow time).

Food wise, there's a Lappert's ice cream in the complex that we liked a lot. There are a few restaurants right by the side of the HHV complex, not part of it, but close enough that it might as well be (without the high resort prices). Goofy Cafe was really good, with a very laid back Hawaiian vibe. The Japanese restaurant Magokoro is not bad, though I wouldn't seek it out if not for convenience. Kobe teppanyaki we had a Groupon, food was good, but the restaurant felt a little old and greasy.

We stayed in the Lagoon Tower at the HHV. It's part of the Hilton Grand Vacation Club, which has 4 towers. We enjoyed it a lot, would totally go back one of these days. There are rentals directly through Hilton - 1 bedroom units start from about $300, it would be a king bed and a sofa bed though, and 2 bedroom units start over $400.

If pools are important to you, certain towers have access to certain pools, so that would be something to look closely at.

Agree with the list of pros and cons by @alohamom, although we didn't find it too crowded when we went in early December (think it's a slow time).

Food wise, there's a Lappert's ice cream in the complex that we liked a lot. There are a few restaurants right by the side of the HHV complex, not part of it, but close enough that it might as well be (without the high resort prices). Goofy Cafe was really good, with a very laid back Hawaiian vibe. The Japanese restaurant Magokoro is not bad, though I wouldn't seek it out if not for convenience. Kobe teppanyaki we had a Groupon, food was good, but the restaurant felt a little old and greasy.

Thanks I took note of the Lagoon Towers, Lappert's ice Cream and Goofy Café. :)

Air Canada currently offers 332$ (Canadian dollars) Montreal-Honolulu one way tickets which makes me very hopeful that I will be able to book roundtrips for 700$ or less when the time comes.

Air Canada currently offers 332$ (Canadian dollars) Montreal-Honolulu one way tickets which makes me very hopeful that I will be able to book roundtrips for 700$ or less when the time comes.

I think if you booked May or sometime in Sept/Oct you could do it for less but for sure under $700 CND

I never book around Easter in order to avoid higher rates. :)

I've been thinking the 3rd week of the month. After Easter, end of Spring Break.

A lot of schools have the week after Easter off. My kids do and we went to the Big Island last year for spring break. I had a heck of a time finding airfare I thought was "reasonable", checking all the islands. Ended up having to leave mid week early and return late on a Monday, AND still paid way more than I've ever paid going over non-school breaks.

A lot of schools have the week after Easter off. My kids do and we went to the Big Island last year for spring break. I had a heck of a time finding airfare I thought was "reasonable", checking all the islands. Ended up having to leave mid week early and return late on a Monday, AND still paid way more than I've ever paid going over non-school breaks.

I meant the week of April 20 to 24, 2020... Which is the week after the week of Easter Monday (April 13, 2020). Usually, at least when it comes to cruising, prices are much lower that week.

I guess the issue is California and US Eastern coastal cities spring breaks.

I would be more of an issue with the availability, crowding and pricing at Aulani, not the airfare from Montreal.

Just something to consider.

I guess the issue is California and US Eastern coastal cities spring breaks.

I would be more of an issue with the availability, crowding and pricing at Aulani, not the airfare from Montreal.

Just something to consider.

Is it that bad? (And that late in April?)

upload_2018-5-30_14-3-32.png

This is a pic from the Shaka Shaka pool party, it is especially congested but we had one day in August that was this busy, you almost coulndt walk on the walkways. And we have seen it where there is almost no one in the pool

I personally would avoid busy times if I were you, especially if you have any flexibility in your schedule. the prices will generally reflect when they think it will be busy

I meant the week of April 20 to 24, 2020... Which is the week after the week of Easter Monday (April 13, 2020). Usually, at least when it comes to cruising, prices are much lower that week.

Ah, sorry, I thought you were looking at 2019. That week should be a lot better than the week right after Easter (though probably not the slowest time).

Just a few thoughts based on our trip. Five nights is very short for the distance with seniors but if they’re ok with it then I wouldn’t let that stop you. We found the time difference coming home was the worst.

We stayed one night at the Sheraton Waikiki. The beach directly in front is basically non existent but just to the side (literally) it was fine and we got a very good rate there which was the only reason we chose it. Rooms were fine. It is a concrete monolith of a hotel and next time I would do the Outrigger. We liked Waikiki and had no issues with it whatsoever. Great experience.

Traffic between there and Aulani was awful during typical rush hours and it did take a while to get between.

If you can do a car, you will have so many more opportunities for seeing the amazing sights. We LOVED the north shore and would stay there for a few nights next time for sure. We did not find Hanauma Bay that great and wouldn’t go back but we saw giant sea turtles (many, many of them) on the north shore along with monk seals and loved that.

You mentioned not wanting to rent points due to needing to cancel last minute possibly. Keep in mind to add on insurance in case you need to cancel your flights and just in case you need to cancel within the final payment no return period. Things happen and you want to be sure you’re covered.

As huge Disney fans of both the parks and the cruise line, we were thrilled to do Aulani and it didn’t disappoint but I did hear others saying they were surprised at the lack of characters and traditional Disney themes.

Happy planning!

Just a few thoughts based on our trip. Five nights is very short for the distance with seniors but if they’re ok with it then I wouldn’t let that stop you. We found the time difference coming home was the worst.

We stayed one night at the Sheraton Waikiki. The beach directly in front is basically non existent but just to the side (literally) it was fine and we got a very good rate there which was the only reason we chose it. Rooms were fine. It is a concrete monolith of a hotel and next time I would do the Outrigger. We liked Waikiki and had no issues with it whatsoever. Great experience.

Traffic between there and Aulani was awful during typical rush hours and it did take a while to get between.

If you can do a car, you will have so many more opportunities for seeing the amazing sights. We LOVED the north shore and would stay there for a few nights next time for sure. We did not find Hanauma Bay that great and wouldn’t go back but we saw giant sea turtles (many, many of them) on the north shore along with monk seals and loved that.

You mentioned not wanting to rent points due to needing to cancel last minute possibly. Keep in mind to add on insurance in case you need to cancel your flights and just in case you need to cancel within the final payment no return period. Things happen and you want to be sure you’re covered.

As huge Disney fans of both the parks and the cruise line, we were thrilled to do Aulani and it didn’t disappoint but I did hear others saying they were surprised at the lack of characters and traditional Disney themes.

Happy planning!

Thank you for your message.

Outrigger seems to have a lot of fans as I can see. :)

We are ok with 1 night in Waikiki + 5 nights at Aulani... We would actually like to make sure we have least 2 days at home before going back to work to deal with jetlag.

Thanks for the info regarding traffic. Knowing that we'll travel after rush hour.

We never travel with insurance. :)

Thank you!

What airline should I use for the best price? We are from Arkansas and all I have looked at the price is $2000 or more, I hate having to book two airlines and try to hook up at LAX or somewhere on the west coast and catch Hawaiian airlines. I would like everything all booked together if I could get a good price. Your comments are needed.. Thank You:thanks::listen:

What airline should I use for the best price? We are from Arkansas and all I have looked at the price is $2000 or more, I hate having to book two airlines and try to hook up at LAX or somewhere on the west coast and catch Hawaiian airlines. I would like everything all booked together if I could get a good price. Your comments are needed.. Thank You:thanks::listen:
Oh mercy!! Are you looking at coach or a higher class? We are from TN and ours was $1100 each, which we thought was just awful, booked a full year in advance (Delta). I can't imagine why you're seeing fares that high. Hoping you can get some tips here to reduce that!

That is really high! We are in South Alabama and I’m looking at $14-1500 for tickets over Christmas. I haven’t purchased ours yet, I’m holding out for some lower rates. I have looked at all major cities around me, and I’ve looked at flying Southwest to LAX and then on to HNL. I’m holding out a little hope that Southwest will get their act together before long, but I really don’t think that will happen. I’ve found the best current rates with American Airlines. Hope you can find something at a better deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter