Aulani - Polynesian Cultural Center

Pixie_Dust

DIS Veteran
Is it worth the day trip? How long does it take to drive back, and is it hard at night to make the long drive back after the show?

Is the luau and show worth it, as well as the daytime activities?

I am having a hard time finding pricing as there are so many options. Entertainment book offers BOGO, but then how much do you have to pay xtra for the luau (middle option, not the buffet or prime rib, but the one in between) and show?

It is on the Go Oahu card with the show as a bonus item, but I don't think we'll be scrambling to do things so far away from the resort, otherwise, why spend a fortune in DVC points to stay at Aulani (which seems kind of far away from the Go Oahu offerings). I can't decide if we should just not do anything that is on the Go Oahu card and try to come back some day finding cheaper lodging elsewhere to do all the activities, with this trip be more relaxing at the high-end resort.

Also feeling the tourists' vs. the kama'aina rates are making me feel like they are not sensitive to our budgetary needs, to put it mildly. Don't like feeling like my pocketbook is being squeezed in a tourist trap. I'm feeling shocked at the price differentials right now between tourist rack rate and the other options (or non-options).

Is it worth the day trip? How long does it take to drive back, and is it hard at night to make the long drive back after the show? Is the luau and show worth it, as well as the daytime activities? I am having a hard time finding pricing as there are so many options. Entertainment book offers BOGO, but then how much do you have to pay xtra for the luau (middle option, not the buffet or prime rib, but the one in between) and show? It is on the Go Oahu card with the show as a bonus item, but I don't think we'll be scrambling to do things so far away from the resort, otherwise, why spend a fortune in DVC points to stay at Aulani (which seems kind of far away from the Go Oahu offerings). I can't decide if we should just not do anything that is on the Go Oahu card and try to come back some day finding cheaper lodging elsewhere to do all the activities, with this trip be more relaxing at the high-end resort. Also feeling the tourists' vs. the kama'aina rates are making me feel like they are not sensitive to our budgetary needs, to put it mildly. Don't like feeling like my pocketbook is being squeezed in a tourist trap. I'm feeling shocked at the price differentials right now between tourist rack rate and the other options (or non-options).

We have been to the PCC twice. And enjoyed it both times. The evening shows are great and the main reason why we went back again. However, I have read a lot of ppl saying that they did not like it. The luau is blah and felt like a huge cattle call. The prime rib dinner option was way better. Less crowded and more relaxed. But I would still skip the meal option (unless it's included for free) and eat before going. There is even a MickeyD's practically in their parking lot.

So it's a personal preference. I really don't know if it's worth the drive from Aulani. Again, personal opinion. If you are planning a trip to the North Shore anyway, I would say to go really early in the AM. Drive around the North Shore and stuff, have some lunch, then continue on to the PCC.

As far as the kama'aina rates. I believe that most tourist states have local resident rates. I appreciate and use my FL resident discount as often as possible. I would expect to see local rates in other states and not feel offended by them. It's a way for businesses to get repeat business from those that live there.

I went to the PCC on my first trip to Hawaii (1990) and would never go back. While there were some funny moments with the Samoan's (they have a great sense of humor) and the show is nicely done I felt out of place all day. I was on a tour and literally felt stuck there. It was a super long day. There is no booze on the property since it's run by the Mormons so it's not a typical luau with lots of drinking etc. I just didn't feel like I belonged there and I felt the religious presence hovering around me all day. That bothered me. It may or may not bother you. I'm not saying I'm not a religious person but I'm not a regular church goer either. I am not saying it's a bad thing it just rubbed me wrong and it's an expensive day to spend it feeling funny and awkward all day. That's JM2C.

Thanks for the replies, gives me a lot to think about, in fact makes me feel better about skipping it this go-round - perhaps another time we'll get the Go card and do it then. A guidebook I was reading last night also mentioned they thought the food was blah, and it would be my strong preference for my luau food to be special.

We did see some fire dancers at the Polynesian Luau in Florida a few years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter