Aulani with two boys

Jmmdls1

Earning My Ears
hello! DVC owners and WDW veterans headed to Aulani the second week of July for a wedding. I have two risk adverse boys and so far I have only booked Pearl Harbor. What else should we see/do? The kids do like Jurassic Park so I’m wondering if that tour is worth it. Kids are 6 and 9.

Think options depends on how 'risk adverse' they really are. A couple of fairly sedate but fun things to do are Polynesian Culture Center (Think of it as the EPCOT of Polynesia: lots of learning and kid friendly activities) and the Dole Plantation. You can also hike Diamond Head--my 6 year old (at the time) did it easily so not TOO strenuous (does have one cave tunnel though if easily scared). Luaus are lots of fun, and plenty to choose from. Atlantis subs are also great, but it does descend to a decent depth, so don't know if that would scare them.

We did the VIP Movie Tour at Kualoa Ranch, we included stops at the infamous Jurassic Park log as well as the Indominous Rex pen from Jurassic World. The Jurassic World sequel also filmed there, so I suspect the tour now includes sets or land from that movie as well.

Overall, I highly recommend it. I have more details and photos in my trip report linked in my signature. My DH is a Jurassic Park/World buff and thought it was the coolest thing. To my knowledge, the VIP tour is still the only Kualoa Ranch tour that includes access to the Indominous Rex pen, so it was worth the cost over their standard movie tour. Many other movie spots and added amenities are included as well.

hello! DVC owners and WDW veterans headed to Aulani the second week of July for a wedding. I have two risk adverse boys and so far I have only booked Pearl Harbor. What else should we see/do? The kids do like Jurassic Park so I’m wondering if that tour is worth it. Kids are 6 and 9.

We just returned from Aulani with our two boys of the exact same ages. We have one risk adverse and one who thinks he’s unstoppable. I posted a video of the Aulani segment of our vacation here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/first-trip-thoughts-and-video.3683790/

Definitely do Kualoa Ranch, it’s such a blast. If they’ve seen Jurassic World then they will enjoy the jungle expedition tour which takes you right inside the Indominous Rex paddock!

We did this the same day as the Dole plantation - Dole in the morning, Kualoa in the afternoon via the north shore. Stop at Lanikae Beach on the way to look for turtles.

The Byodo-In Temple is also a beautiful spot your boys might enjoy. Ours did.

And Waikiki Beach is a must do. The water is so shallow and warm.

Your boys will love it - have fun!

Not entirely true, so just to clarify, we did the jungle tour and we drove through the Indominous Rex pen (through the gate and got the see the scratches), but we didn't stop and didn't go to the observation deck. From the top of my head, it was the only Jurrasic Park/World thing on that tour (we did see other movie props and locations)

I said the VIP Movie Tour is the only tour that includes access to the Indominous Rex pen which is still true, to my knowledge. You may have driven through it on the jungle tour, but on the VIP Movie Tour, the van will park and everyone gets out, walks around, walks to the other side of the walls to see the dinosaur claw marks and imported trees, and also walks upstairs into the observation deck where people can pose for photos and look around. So it actually allows for people to explore the set rather than take photos from the van/bus.

That's why I said to clarify :) Because for me that would not be exactly what access would entail, so now it's clear :)

Ok, no problem. To me, a view of and access to are distinctly different. But now we know about both tours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter