Autism lawsuits to continue on appeal

I also read the ruling. Some interesting facts were presented (I found the percent of "non-DAS" guests getting the shaft on some of the popular rides. No wonder some of the top-tier rides were always a no-go! Glad this has been resolved. I'm sure the mom in this case will (hopefully) do her homework before schlepping 10 people to WDW. (I love that they travel in a pack of 10)
This is something that always bugs me about large groups with one person with disability and the others have none: that they all get to benefit. Take transportation as the best example - large group turns up at the bus stop just as a bus comes in. The rest of us waiting 20 minutes plus. What happens? The entire group trots on the bus despite the sign asking large groups to split up. Why can't they go in two groups? Only one person actually needs to go on with the disabled person. Nothing to stop the first group going into the park and wait for the second group to arrive. I'm sure they all have phones to let each other know where they are. I've never seen a group do that, but, I've seen groups turn up and take up all the seats and then
sit put while mothers with babies and older guests who have been standing at a hot bus stop forever are left to strap hang.

And enough of bringing pet dogs under the pretence of being an ESA into the parks too.

I finally read the ruling. Goodness, the mom comes off poorly. It sounds like she had a bigger issue with breaking routine than her son did.

Also her lack of planning was just stunning. I think of all the hours I've taken to plan fastpasses, DAS, dining, breaks, etc. with EVERY trip (not even including the working on waiting, deferred gratification and the like that is constant in therapy and every day life) I just couldn't believe that she just showed up and expected FOL passes for everything. Especially since she had been told repeatedly about the DAS changes and how it would work. It's like she decided that all the changes didn't apply to her and her son at all.

FTR - it was 10 FOL passes for her party of 6 she decided she needed. So they could have FOL access 10 times. Honestly I was more surprised that Disney gave her as many as they did given it was a Christmas party and not a regular park day.

This is something that always bugs me about large groups with one person with disability and the others have none: that they all get to benefit. Take transportation as the best example - large group turns up at the bus stop just as a bus comes in. The rest of us waiting 20 minutes plus. What happens? The entire group trots on the bus despite the sign asking large groups to split up. Why can't they go in two groups? Only one person actually needs to go on with the disabled person. Nothing to stop the first group going into the park and wait for the second group to arrive. I'm sure they all have phones to let each other know where they are. I've never seen a group do that, but, I've seen groups turn up and take up all the seats and then
sit put while mothers with babies and older guests who have been standing at a hot bus stop forever are left to strap hang.

And enough of bringing pet dogs under the pretence of being an ESA into the parks too.

I really don't get the large group thing either. Do DAS users call everyone on the planet to come get "quick access" and the neighborhood shows up? My entire family is 10. That's it. So if (big if) we all attempted to go along (never gonna happen) then we'd have 10. I get it some families are huge, but for the love of it, please split up!!

I have no idea why this woman, who seems to be a pretty avid & loyal Disney customer herself, would not just spend the extra money for the VIP tours, where you DO get pretty-close-to FOTL access? If that's what makes her trip magical, then DO IT. It's not like the pricetag was beyond her if she's a multiple DCL cruiser.

I have no idea why this woman, who seems to be a pretty avid & loyal Disney customer herself, would not just spend the extra money for the VIP tours, where you DO get pretty-close-to FOTL access? If that's what makes her trip magical, then DO IT. It's not like the pricetag was beyond her if she's a multiple DCL cruiser.

It's the mentality of people like that. They truly feel like they are owed things. She is a prime example of someone who uses their child's disability to get attention and whatever else she can get out of it.

I don't want anyone here to take this personally, or that I am being confrontational, and I promise I am not picking on anyone. I'm not, cross my heart.

I know that this woman has not come across well *at all* in the court records; and yes, I did read the entire 51 pages.

But... What if she is "that Mom" (and all of us with special needs/differently abled kids know one of these moms) who is so wrapped up in advocating for her kid that she can't see the forest for the trees?

Her passion for autistic kids is evident in her volunteer work; what we don't know is how she is (really) perceived in her local community of families. If you take her reported volunteer experience strictly at face value, she's not afraid to jump in and work on behalf of autistic folks, and I bet we can all agree that we need to see more volunteers and advocates (who can work in a reasonable fashion).

I've done a *lot* of volunteer work over the years, and I know from experience that there is often someone who is just so extremely passionate about their place and participation in the community. It can appear to others, especially outsiders, that the parent is either seeking some personal validation, or that they are simply trying to get everything they can for their kid and/or family, when often it's literally just misplaced passion and zeal.

I always try to assume positive intent, and in this case, I think it could be possible that we have a mom who has not actually stepped back and objectively evaluated her (now adult) son in some time. I believe that she still thinks of him and his abilities as he was when he was younger; my takeaway from reading is that he has progressed more, and is more able to wait and to delay gratification than she may be consciously aware of. She can't see the forest (his progress) for the trees (her lack of objectivity when it comes to her child).

It's hard as the parent of *any* child to be objective; it's our job to love our children unconditionally, and to get them to adulthood where hopefully they can live independent, fulfilling lives to the fullest extent they are able. Let's try to grant a *little* grace, and hope and pray for her everyone's sake that her intentions - and her subsequent legal action - were simply misplaced love and passion.

All I will say is this. I do understand where she is coming from, but it does not seem like she is willing to help herself in this situation. My sister has downs and cannot wait in a regular line or do the park for more than 4/5 hours a day. DAS is a god send. She does have mini meltdowns were she gets angry and shuts downs if she has to wait for too long. She can go to the bathroom, grab a snack, look around a shop while she waits. I plan fast passes for the must do's for her and/or popular rides. I think you can always try your best when you plan ahead to help stop the meltdowns before they begin (my sister only- not speaking for ANYONE else). It just seems to me the mom did not try to plan ahead, which is not Disney's fault. They found a way to make it as equal as possible for everyone with DAS.

I always try to assume positive intent, and in this case, I think it could be possible that we have a mom who has not actually stepped back and objectively evaluated her (now adult) son in some time. I believe that she still thinks of him and his abilities as he was when he was younger; my takeaway from reading is that he has progressed more, and is more able to wait and to delay gratification than she may be consciously aware of. She can't see the forest (his progress) for the trees (her lack of objectivity when it comes to her child).

It's hard as the parent of *any* child to be objective; it's our job to love our children unconditionally, and to get them to adulthood where hopefully they can live independent, fulfilling lives to the fullest extent they are able. Let's try to grant a *little* grace, and hope and pray for her everyone's sake that her intentions - and her subsequent legal action - were simply misplaced love and passion.

Well, hopefully this is the smack on the side of the head she needs to get her brain in focus and really see her son. My bet is she'll take an even more passionate stand though, and continue to keep him hobbled to her. My bet is she is afraid to let him be independent because then he won't need her. That comes from decades of seeing that happen at the school I work at. It's really sad to see a kid with great potential be denied by a fearful, zealous parent.

I have worked with "special" kids in the past. It's amazing how many parents have mis-guided ideas about their own child. Many parents are "shocked" that we ask parents to stand back and let the child put his coat/backpack away. Many are stunned that their kids can independently do it! I think this mom just needs to step back and really look at her son and see him for the "man" he is. She may be afraid to "let go". Sometimes the parent needs to be needed and once they realize the child has grown and has achieved so much, they feel mis-placed. Hopefully she will step back.

I just listened to the arguments, and plaintiff's attorney sounds just as bad as his briefs read...very amateurish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!