Autism Question

leanan

DIS Veteran
Do you think it is easier or harder being Sensory Sensative yourself while raising a child with autism or SSD?

Some days I think I am better off because I understand. Some days I think it is the opposite. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

Hmmm. :confused: Difficult question...

Since you asked, and no one has responded, I'll give you my own humble opinion..

All of us, neurotypical or not, have strengths and weaknesses that shape who we are and how we parent our children. If you choose to consider your own sensitivity to be a common bond with your child, and you gain a greater sense of empathy from it, then you effectively turn what can be seen as a weakness into a personal strength.

Are you familiar with the parable of the Man with Many Talents?

Some of us are given many natural gifts; some of us not so many. Some of us are given many hardships; others seem to live a charmed life. We have no control over what Life hands us but we do have control over how we use it.

Let's use it to let our children know, without a single doubt, how very much they are loved and cherished. The rest is purely a bonus.

All the best,

Kathy :grouphug:

Kathy,

Excellent response! I can't agree more that what once was a weakness has helped me become a better person. Since I hit the moose my math skills are lost forever, however I now am taking us grooming horses in exchange of lessons.

I love horses and if I were at "work" 8 hours a day I would never ride.

Life with SN is up and down and never typical, nor are we are parents but we go on and just do the best we can.

Blessings, April

I was a kid with sensory issues, although 30+ years ago, that was not a diagnosis- I was just a picky eater and prissy because I didn't like to get dirty. Anyway, today I am a speech therapist and work with preschoolers. Let me tell you, the sensory table is about my least favorite place in the classroom!!!! Our teachers are very creative and use all types of interesting things for our little friends. I have learned that I might have to play with the things that bother me once in awhile- like instant potatoes or black dirt. I understand where our kiddos are coming from and am sensitive to their sensory sensitivities, but it can be challenging to me as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter