Avis vs Alamo

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
Have used Alamo a few times during my Disney trips. I have them booked for my trip next month, but can get the same category of car for a bit cheaper thru Avis. Are there any differences I should be aware of? I see they both have a free second driver, which is nice. Does Avis have a skip the counter option like Alamo?

Do check with Costco Travel on rates, for me by taking my car to one of the hotels in the Bonnet Creek area vs the Car Care Center I can save about $35 by using Avis.

I've only ever rented through Avis so I couldn't tell you the differences. The first time you use the Avis preferred service you MAY have to stop by the desk. For the life of me, I cannot remember if I had to. I think our name was on the board with a car assignment? Although we ended up not using that car and took the next size up because we couldn't fit luggage and golf clubs in the car class we had booked.

I always rent from Alamo or Enterprise. They have always been great. The one time I rented from Avis was a 1000% nightmare.

I always rent from Alamo or Enterprise. They have always been great. The one time I rented from Avis was a 1000% nightmare.
I always go through Alamo, but rates this year are just ridiculous. Avis (so far) has the most competitive rate I've found but I'm leery about using them since I never have before. Just curious, what in general was the issue you had with Avis? :confused:

Just curious, what in general was the issue you had with Avis? :confused:

I show up late one Friday night at Avis. There is a line out the door, easily 200 feet long. One person working the counter. Manager working was just standing there "observing." He thought the situation was funny. The other car rental agencies were all empty. I quickly realized the reason Avis had great prices. It was at the expense of customer service.

Avis has great prices with AARP. Their preferred program lets you bypass the counter - when you arrive at the airport, open the app and you'll see the car you are assigned the parking spot. It offers alternative cars in the same class.

The first time we used the preferred program we had to stop by the window to show our ID, but the preferred window is in the garage, not the terminal.

I won't use a company when I can't bypass the counter and we like the option of picking our car.

I like Avis and use them all the time. Make sure you join preferred to skip the counter. They include my wife as a driver for free.

They offer Standard Elite SUV's (usually Ford Explorers) - a 7 seater that is cheaper than a Premium SUV. We rent these for road trips and they are great.

The only slight gotcha is their toll policy - it is a little more expensive than Alamo but you can avoid it by using your own pass or using the vistor toll program at MCO.

When your trip gets close, also check the Hertz rates. The last two times I've gone, their rates are sky high early, but drop dramatically the last 3 weeks or so prior to the trip. By the time I've gone, they've had good rates, beating all the major in-terminal agencies, using a AAA rate and e-coupon. If you sign up for the free Hertz #1 club, the rental experience is very similar to Alamo. They'll send you an email (or maybe text, I don't remember) saying which row to pick your car from and you pick anything you like from that row. I have heard some people say the first time they use Hertz they have had to go to the counter, but that wasn't the case for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!