Avoid NC/SC due to Florence -- now 37 dead

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
Authorities in the Carolinas say much of the flooding has still not crested, and that major flooding will continue through this week and into next week. And despite the storm's departure, they may get more rain this week. There are many highway closures, and probably will be more, so it's best to avoid North and South Carolina entirely if you can.

The death toll has now risen to 33: 26 in NC, 6 in SC, and 1 in VA. Those numbers are likely to rise as the flood waters recede and recovery efforts uncover new victims.

If you're driving to or from WDW, don't become a statistic -- avoid the Carolinas.

Last edited:
So tragic.
Heard about I95... and news mentioned it may be another week??

I have a family member trying to get back home to fla. Auto train canceled twice... now told 25th, the earliest available.
Better safe than sorry I say!

Hopefully people will heed the warnings to Not try to return to their hometowns... they re expecting More tidal waters :(

Also, Amtrak has cancelled all trains between FL & the Northeast thru at least Saturday. That includes the Auto Train.

I saw a news report showing major flooding in Fayetteville, which is on the Silver Meteor route.

The latest count I've seen has now risen to 37 -- 27 in NC, 9 in SC, and 1 in VA.

How is driving south of Charleston and the Charlotte area?

My nephew lives on Hilton Head Island. My brother is driving down to Hilton Head (probably taking 75-40-26-95, avoiding any flooded areas, I think). From there, he and my nephew are travelling to Charlotte for this Sunday's Panthers game (we are all big fans of the Panthers' opponent, the Cincinnati Bengals).

Right now, I'm assuming this is feasible. Is it?

NC and SC Road Conditions

NCDOT reports approximately 1,100 road closures; multiple major road closures due to flooding and debris.

o I-40 between Wilmington and I-95 (approx. 100 mi)

o I-95 between exit 65 (NC-82) to Exit 138 (US-64, Rocky Mount)

o I-95 between Exit 13 and Exit 22 (Lumberton, NC)

o US 70 closed between Kinston and Newport

o All major roads providing access to Wilmington have been impacted by flooding and experiencing intermittent closures; responders can access Wilmington via US-17

SC EOC reporting 193 closures including 147 road closures and 46 bridge closures.

o Intermittent closures of I-95 (Updated September 19, 2018, 11:04 a.m. EDT)

o Numerous US and SC Routes are closed due to flooding in Chesterfield, Darlington, Dillon, Horry, Marion and Marlboro Counties (RIV Florence)

This is from this Morning. All, take care when driving through NC and SC.

Where can I find an update on the roads in the Carolinas? Have friends in WDW now that are heading back to Canada on Thursday and are inquiring if the I95/26/I77 route is ok for travel. We are also heading down through there on Oct 13th or so and would like some road condition report.

Where can I find an update on the roads in the Carolinas? Have friends in WDW now that are heading back to Canada on Thursday and are inquiring if the I95/26/I77 route is ok for travel. We are also heading down through there on Oct 13th or so and would like some road condition report.
Check the two sources Lynne G gave you in the post just above yours: NC Dept of Transportation and SC Emergency Operations Center.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter