Avoiding a Sofa Bed in Standard Room

MamaBear58

DIS Veteran
Is this even possible to do with a party of 4, or am I taking a risk that they might give me a King and a sofa bed? What if I elect to rent using DVC Points--will that be a specific villa that I will know ahead of time has 2 Queens? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hotel rooms have either two queen beds or 1 king and one sofa bed, studios have a queen and a pull out, 1 bedroom I believe king and pullout... I rented DVC points for a January stay and we had a standard hotel room and made the request to have 2 queen beds. Upon check in was told that we were placed in a king and pullout room, and I requested a switch to a 2 queen bed room, as it was me and my sister and we both wanted beds, otherwise would have likely just rented a studio since that would have a sofa bed. They were able to accommodate the request and change the room, granted we rented at the end of January, so low season and the resort was not full. The cast member asked if it was more than two people staying in the room and I confirmed it only two, so not sure if they typically accommodate 4 people reservations with the queen beds. No idea how this works cash reservations.

The only DVC resort where the studio rooms have 2 queen beds is Old Key West. The others have 1 Queen and a sofa bed. If you are just booking a normal room, you will most likely get 2 queen beds since most resorts you have to specifically book a king room as a separate category.

Hotel rooms have either two queen beds or 1 king and one sofa bed, studios have a queen and a pull out, 1 bedroom I believe king and pullout... I rented DVC points for a January stay and we had a standard hotel room and made the request to have 2 queen beds. Upon check in was told that we were placed in a king and pullout room, and I requested a switch to a 2 queen bed room, as it was me and my sister and we both wanted beds, otherwise would have likely just rented a studio since that would have a sofa bed. They were able to accommodate the request and change the room, granted we rented at the end of January, so low season and the resort was not full. The cast member asked if it was more than two people staying in the room and I confirmed it only two, so not sure if they typically accommodate 4 people reservations with the queen beds. No idea how this works cash reservations.
I wonder what happened to the points needed for this change and the DVC member's account. If you book a hotel room, not a studio, that's different points. Only one bedrooms have a king and a sleeper sofa. Only OKW has two queen beds in a studio. All the other studios have one queen bed and either one queen or double sleeper sofa (and some have the bunk sized murphy bed), all depending on the specific resort. In the hotel at Aulani, there are a limited number of hotel rooms available for points and are listed as only two queens.

I rented points for one of the 8 standard hotel rooms at Aulani, so there wasn’t a category change as I had not reserved a studio and I was disappointed to get a king and pullout as I had expected to get two queens. Aulani has hotel rooms with 2 queen beds or 1 queen one pullout. So nothing happened with the members points.

Good to hear you got a king and sofa while renting points. We requested that, but on an other page somebody said all the DVC hotels rooms only have two queens...
I later chatted with someone on that Dave's DVC rental site. He said the same thing. So it sounds like I could guarantee 2 Queens, although I think the point rentals of rooms are always just the standard view--no island or pool or ocean view. I forgot to ask that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter