Avoiding zip code at pump

Greenfield1984

DIS Veteran
As the thread title suggests, id like to avoid having to put in my zip code at the pump.

Being from ottawa I dont have a zip code but am aware of a couple things I can use to input instead.

However id like to avoid this altogether.

I have a visa tap credit card that i just tap to reauthorize at the pump. No inputting ammount, or my pin or going to the counter for dreaded human interaction. Its great.

Does the tap credit cards bypass the zip code input step or am i out of luck?

We were in Florida at March ,did road trip Orlando to Key West so bought gas in different parts of Florida, my tap did not work any place I tried but I just used the 3 Numbers from my postal code and 00 and had no issues.

We were in Florida at March ,did road trip Orlando to Key West so bought gas in different parts of Florida, my tap did not work any place I tried but I just used the 3 Numbers from my postal code and 00 and had no issues.

Ya thats the plan. Was hoping there was a work around that eliminated promps.

Promps make me cranky.

I boycott gas stations whose pumps ask me for additional services.

If i want a car wash as well ill let you know. Untill then let me buy my gas and give me my .8 seconds of my life back i spent having to click no for the car wash!

Then your solution would be to pay inside if you don't want to deal with the zip code prompt at the pump.

Ya thats the plan. Was hoping there was a work around that eliminated promps.

Promps make me cranky.

I boycott gas stations whose pumps ask me for additional services.

If i want a car wash as well ill let you know. Untill then let me buy my gas and give me my .8 seconds of my life back i spent having to click no for the car wash!
Seems a bit extreme, but do what you gotta, I guess.

Personally I haven't seen any gas stations in the US with the ability to tap at the pump. Actually I haven’t seen a whole lot of tap and go active anywhere in the US. I might be frequenting the wrong places? Would’ve thought WDW would have that by now.

Anywho, I do recall that tapping didn’t work for me in the UK, so there may be a regional restriction on credit card tapping?

Seems a bit extreme, but do what you gotta, I guess.

Personally I haven't seen any gas stations in the US with the ability to tap at the pump. Actually I haven’t seen a whole lot of tap and go active anywhere in the US. I might be frequenting the wrong places? Would’ve thought WDW would have that by now.

Anywho, I do recall that tapping didn’t work for me in the UK, so there may be a regional restriction on credit card tapping?
It's pretty limited in the US still, but where available, it does work. It is available at many places in Disney, and the CM's there are fairly aware. Away from Disney, we used it at several stores, but it is so unusual down there that I actually had to explain what I was doing to a couple of cashiers. And no, I did not see tap at a single gas pump I used in March, even at the recently opened RaceTrak on 535 with shiny new pumps. Postal Code numbers plus 00 worked at every station except 7-Eleven (World Center and 535).

Oh wow. Interesting.

Guess im spoiled north of the border.
Pretty well tap everywhere i go up to a max of 100$ per transaction.

Super quick and easy.

The cashiers and mcdonalds and I dont even have to make eye contact anymore.

They stretch out the credit machine. I tap my card and away i go.

Oh wow. Interesting.

Guess im spoiled north of the border.
Pretty well tap everywhere i go up to a max of 100$ per transaction.

Super quick and easy.

The cashiers and mcdonalds and I dont even have to make eye contact anymore.

They stretch out the credit machine. I tap my card and away i go.
I hear you there ... i had several people look at me REALLY strangely after a meal when i stayed seated at the table with my credit card in hand, expecting that the waitress would simply bring the machine to ME :P
I think part of what we are experiencing is that our banks are national where theirs are more localized (just my musing on a gross Sunday :confused3)

I used the tap function in the USA a few times last summer (grocery stores, Target, Walmart, Gap, etc) but never at a gas station. With Apple Pay using tap, it’s becoming from frequent and the big chains offer it.

Note the Orlando sentinel posted last week there has been a spike im credit card skimming devices found at gas pumps in Orlando. There is a map in the article showing locations. There appears to be some located near Wdw on Vineland. The message was to pay cash.

US credit cards just recently got chip technology, they’re a bit behind. So that’s probably why they don’t have tap in many places.

For gas stations I get annoyed with Zip code thing too, and I don’t like having to go in and prepay. It’s a rental car, how do I know how much it takes?
So I buy a gas card, and load it with $60 to start with. Usually I get the Speedy one since that’s the gas station at Disney Car Care, and they have many stations around Florida, so easy to fill up before returning rental to Alamo. It’s also safer. No worry about Skimmers.

We rent the car at Ft. Lauderdale airport as we stay there for 10-12 days before driving up to WDW. After resort check in we return the car.

The gas pumps at the station beside the Boardwalk Resort at Disney said Tap n Pay is "coming soon".

My Credit card was compromised at a pump on the way down two years ago. I have paid cash ever since.

We typically spend 300-400 in gas down and back this includes driving in and around orlando. We just did this in February in a 2016 Acura MDX.

We usually use the zip code 90210 wherever we fill up in the US and it works almost 100% of the time! When it doesn't then we use the 3 numbers from our postal code and 00 at the end. I do wish their banking technology had caught up to ours though. The closest Trader Joes to us is in Bellingham WA. About 2 years ago (maybe a bit less??) they FINALLY got the machine where I can put my card in for chip and pin. I commented about it to the cashier (something like it was about time) and she laughed and said 'yeah, we get so many Canadians in this store we bugged head office to step it up!' lol Not sure that is true or not but still ;-)

As the thread title suggests, id like to avoid having to put in my zip code at the pump.

Being from ottawa I dont have a zip code but am aware of a couple things I can use to input instead.

However id like to avoid this altogether.

I have a visa tap credit card that i just tap to reauthorize at the pump. No inputting ammount, or my pin or going to the counter for dreaded human interaction. Its great.

Does the tap credit cards bypass the zip code input step or am i out of luck?

We use the 3 numbers in our postal code and add 00 to end. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter