Awkward solo rides for a "grown" man.

HatBoxSteve

Earning My Ears
I posted in a previous thread I was going on my first solo trip in late August. I've had some experience in the parks by myself but that was only for a few hours or so. My biggest concern are rides like Small World, Frozen, Peter Pan, etc. I don't know how a guy in his 30's would look bobbing his head singing along to "it's a small world after all". My friend went on a solo trip last year and she had a great time, but I feel women don't get as scrutinized for being by themselves in Disney as a men do, anyway I guess this is a long winded way of getting a consensus of other people's opinions on the matter and what rides if any I should skip out of crippling fear of being looked at like a weirdo. Thank you all for reading this and look forward to reading your thoughts.

For one thing, when will you ever likely see anyone you meet on this trip again? For another, how do they know you’re necessarily solo and not just an odd number in a group? I went with a group of 4 adults and a kid and sat alone fairly regularly because that was just sort of how it worked out with the ride seating.

I will admit to feeling a bit odd riding Dumbo by myself, because there are usually people standing around watching, but I do it anyway. They have always given me my own row on small world, pirates, and frozen.

Usually get my own row on pirates although last time I shared it with another solo guy. I find myself riding fewer and fewer rides solo just because.

Do you get the whole row for yourself if you're solo in Pirates and Small World?
Never had the "guts" to ride "It's a small world" solo. But on PotC it depends on the crowd... If it's rope drop or the wait time is low... They will give a single rider his own row. If busy they will fill the boat. A few minutes before closing on Pirates last fall I had a whole boat to myself. :smooth:

I'm 31, male, and did Pirates, Peter Pan and It's a Small World solo. I did get a fair few rows to myself. I may have not sung too much in the Frozen singalong, but only because most of the audience wasn't...

But, yeah, I was a little nervous to wear a "cute" Toothless and Stitch T-shirt, but I lost count of people complimenting that, both CMs and other guests, and nothing negative at all. (I had thought that I wouldn't do any meet-and-greets, but after that decided to do one for Stitch, and that was also fun.) So I'd agree with embracing doing what you want.

I guess this is a long winded way of getting a consensus of other people's opinions on the matter and what rides if any I should skip out of crippling fear of being looked at like a weirdo.
If you really have this fear then DO NOT ride any ride that will cause you to worry. Not worth it!

I've been traveling solo for decades to Disney parks. I do not have a crippling fear of being looked at like a weirdo so I'm not sure MY opinion matters to you. We can all tell you no one is paying any attention to you but that's like telling a cynophobe the dog in the house with the door locked isn't going to approach you. We can all tell you that families are not paying attention to the single 30 year old enjoying himself on Small World but YOU feel they are judging you.

When you have gone to the parks with friends or family do you remember looking at a guy traveling solo? Has anyone you have traveled with every commented on what appears to be a guy traveling solo?

I suspect not. But that doesn't really temper a crippling fear. I know that I have never noticed a solo traveler when I'm with family or friends. I'm paying all my attention to the people I'm with.

If you can get over that crippling fear that other people are looking at you then you can enjoy all the rides. If you can't then don't put yourself through it even if the consensus is a solo guy in his 30's is not being looked at.

dooooooooooo it!

First of all, who's to say you aren't "with a bunch of people, but just decided to run ahead of them for 30 mins" or something? Who's to say (as others have commented), your "people" aren't just on the next boat down? Who's to say you aren't there on a work conference and just taking a couple hours to have fun?

Second of all, who cares! :)

BUT, as the above poster mentioned, don't do anything you'll have massive anxiety about and feel super self-conscious (not worth it), but at the same time, push yourself out of your comfort zone a bit. Start with the rides you feel less self-conscious about and then build up. I bet halfway through the day of "gateway rides" :), you'll forget all about it and just go for it. And if not, meh, take another spin on the ones you'll have fun with!

For what it’s worth, I don’t personally see rides like Peter Pan or Small World as “kid’s” rides in 2018 anyway. They’re a piece of nostalgia and history. A lot of adults ride them because they grew up riding them and because they’re some of the original attractions in the park. Plus, they’re one-offs of rides Walt had a hand in at Disneyland.

Agree, if it’s going to give you a literal anxiety attack, maybe make that call with your doctor (if it’s something to skip or try and work through). But if you’re just nervous, it’ll likely be fine but to the point above, you can build up to it and see how you feel.

The only ride I might question is 7DMT, but that's because I thought the seats and foot room were real SMALL (I hadn't thought I was very large until I tried to get on it). But thinking about other "kids' rides" like Dumbo, Barnstormer, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Triceratops Spin, etc.-most people won't even notice that you're alone, and if they do, they probably won't think you're ALONE. They'll probably figure that the other people in your group are in other elephants, carpets, etc. At least that's what I tell myself when I go solo!

Also, cast members have seen people from every walk of life and every imaginable behavior. The solo guy bobbing his head to It's A Small World will really not be very memorable at all. If you come out of the ride as an emotional wreck, having been moved to tears by the experience... well, maybe you'll be remembered, but you won't be the first either.

I've done all those rides and many more solo. I've enjoyed my own row on Small World, PotC, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen, Dinosaur, NRJ and others. I've slid around on the seat by myself on BTMRR. I've had exclusive one person only sections just for me at It's Tough to be a Bug, CoP, HoP, Laugh Floor, Country Bears and others. And I can't recall any negative comments or looks. Even if I had - well, I paid the same admission and I'm there to enjoy myself - not worry about what anyone else might think.

You can't control what other people think or say - but if you're going to feel like a weirdo based on that, well, that is in your control and only you can decide your comfort zone. And if that's a fear, you may be primed to find that criticism even where it doesn't exist. Although unlikely that you'll hear or see anything about being solo, there's always some chance you might and you should be ready for that. Are you going to blow it off, or is it going to ruin the rest of your day/trip?

Going solo is a state of mind. Embrace it and enjoy all the freedom without getting bogged down with whatever reaction you might get from the non-solo guests (which, in reality, is generally very positive - many people wish they had the courage to pull off solo trips).

I am getting an AP in December and look forward to taking at least one long weekend solo trip. I don't worry about riding a ride by myself, but rather standing in line and having everyone stare at me like "who is this weirdo standing alone!" But, screw them, you'll likely never see them again anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!