AZ/UT ABD Questions

pixiepirate

DIS Veteran
We are booked on the Sep 9th AZ/UT adventure. I have read all the trip reports here but I still have a few questions I hope someone will be able to answer.

How much OYO time is there is Sedona? Are there transportation options available if we should decide to have dinner in town instead of returning to the resort?

From the trip reports I have read, it looks like a hike down Bright Angel trail is the optional activity for the second afternoon at the Grand Canyon. I'm not sure if my sister will be able to handle that hike. What other activities might be available?

It seems most adventurers opt to do the hike to Delicate Arch in Arches. Do you get to see much of the park on the way to Delicate Arch? Can anyone tell me what you see if you opt for the bus tour? I am trying to decide between the hike or trying to see more of the park.

It is partly due to the trip reports I have read on this board that I was inspired to take this adventure. Thanks to all who take the time to share their photos and adventures with us.

When we went 2-3 years ago, our son did Delicate Arch and we did the bus tour. We were all happy with our choices. The Delicate Arch group mostly just saw that but it is all really variations on a similar theme. On the bus tour, we stopped at several arches and enjoyed getting some exercise without committing to the longish, hot hike.

I did this one back in 2007, I was on one of the first 1/2 dozen of them that were done. In Sedona, the hotel we were at drove a few of us to a restaurant and came and picked us up after dinner. This was before Uber/Lyft but it would be worth asking.

We are booked on the Sep 9th AZ/UT adventure. I have read all the trip reports here but I still have a few questions I hope someone will be able to answer.

How much OYO time is there is Sedona? Are there transportation options available if we should decide to have dinner in town instead of returning to the resort?

From the trip reports I have read, it looks like a hike down Bright Angel trail is the optional activity for the second afternoon at the Grand Canyon. I'm not sure if my sister will be able to handle that hike. What other activities might be available?

It seems most adventurers opt to do the hike to Delicate Arch in Arches. Do you get to see much of the park on the way to Delicate Arch? Can anyone tell me what you see if you opt for the bus tour? I am trying to decide between the hike or trying to see more of the park.

It is partly due to the trip reports I have read on this board that I was inspired to take this adventure. Thanks to all who take the time to share their photos and adventures with us.
We went in April. In terms of Delicate arch about 8 people did that and everyone else did bus tour which had a bunch of shorter hikes. Both are great options.
In Sedona there was about 2 hours of free time. The resort is so nice though that a lot of people opted to skip the two hours. If you wanted to stay for dinner I think you had to Uber

in Grand Canyon about 1/2 our group did the helicopter tour. There are a ton of options for sight seeing and hiking various distances.

When we went 2-3 years ago, our son did Delicate Arch and we did the bus tour. We were all happy with our choices. The Delicate Arch group mostly just saw that but it is all really variations on a similar theme. On the bus tour, we stopped at several arches and enjoyed getting some exercise without committing to the longish, hot hike.

Thank you. This is really useful information. I really would like to see as much of the park as possible and it looks like the bus tour option might be the best. We have been discussing a possible trip back to the area in a few years as we would also like to visit Canyonlands, Bryce and Zion. That might be a better time to visit Delicate Arch.

We went in April. In terms of Delicate arch about 8 people did that and everyone else did bus tour which had a bunch of shorter hikes. Both are great options.
In Sedona there was about 2 hours of free time. The resort is so nice though that a lot of people opted to skip the two hours. If you wanted to stay for dinner I think you had to Uber

in Grand Canyon about 1/2 our group did the helicopter tour. There are a ton of options for sight seeing and hiking various distances.

Was that two hours after you had lunch? I have always wanted to visit Sedona so I hope we don't have to rush to see everything. I will definitely ask about transportation options if we decide to stay longer in town.

About what time does the river rafting in Moab start? We will probably skip that activity. I was wondering if there might be enough time to schedule a half day tour of Canyonlands with an outside provider?

About what time does the river rafting in Moab start? We will probably skip that activity.

You know your family and what they will enjoy but I have to say, most people felt like river rafting was one of the highpoints of the trip.

Was that two hours after you had lunch? I have always wanted to visit Sedona so I hope we don't have to rush to see everything. I will definitely ask about transportation options if we decide to stay longer in town.

About what time does the river rafting in Moab start? We will probably skip that activity. I was wondering if there might be enough time to schedule a half day tour of Canyonlands with an outside provider?
2 hours of time after lunch to walk around.
Rafting started after lunch at hotel so I am guessing around 1. It was very calm rafting. After that we had free time.

2018 trip. We took an uber from Sedona back to resort. Very easy. seems like we had from lunch that day through the rest of the evening OYO time in Sedona.
We skipped the delicate arch tour and did the bus tour. we were happy with that. Got to see WAY more arches, not only the delicate arch (from a distance).
Grand Canyon - we just went around the park a little. By that point we were actually pretty tired, so took a nap if i recall :)

You know your family and what they will enjoy but I have to say, most people felt like river rafting was one of the highpoints of the trip.

I've done a couple of raft trips. They just aren't my thing.

2018 trip. We took an uber from Sedona back to resort. Very easy. seems like we had from lunch that day through the rest of the evening OYO time in Sedona.
We skipped the delicate arch tour and did the bus tour. we were happy with that. Got to see WAY more arches, not only the delicate arch (from a distance).
Grand Canyon - we just went around the park a little. By that point we were actually pretty tired, so took a nap if i recall :)

I still have to discuss plans with my sister but I think we may be leaning this way. I definitely want to see as much of Arches National Park as possible. I would like to maximize our time in Sedona as well. Right now I am planning to do the hike at the Grand Canyon but you never know what can happen between now and September. I would like to have some alternatives available.

Tagging on to this thread as my wife and I have just booked the September 21st Adventure. Thinking we will fly into Phoenix a day or two early since we've never been there and will allow us to adjust to the time change from FL. Any suggestions for Phoenix pre-nights?

We are older (70's) and probably won't be doing the more active parts of the trip. Mostly planning on just taking in the sights and experiences. Looking forward to this trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!