Baby On Board: A First Trip with Baby PTR! Updated 7/9

Good morning! I felt like a good first follow up to my original post would be discussing ADRs, but I'm still ironing out where we'll be dining. Sit down restaurants are a big part of mine and DH's Disney travel, but we know things will be a bit different this time with an infant.

giphy (1).gif

While I iron out the last of our dinner plans, my thoughts have turned to breakfast. Since we're staying at the Contemporary, there are two character breakfasts I'd really like to do: Chef Mickey's and Ohana. We've been to both and really enjoyed them, but I'm wondering if scheduling a sit down breakfast is wise with a baby.

Screen shot 2017-06-01 at 11.15.08 AM.png

My goal would be to do one of the character breakfasts with our whole extended family early in the trip, then the other with just me, DH and baby later in the trip.

For those who have traveled with infants, did you find breakfast then heading to the parks to be too much? Does it make more sense to do breakfast, nap in the room, then head to the park? Should we think about a character breakfast in the park? Or should we scrap the breakfast idea altogether?

I'd love to hear some tips/advice on this topic, as I'm new to the whole traveling with baby concept!

You've made a great start to your first trip report! I have to say, your daughter is so, so sweet! What fun you will have together. :) My boys were six and eight their first trip so I can't really comment on travelling with babies to Disney. We have, however travelled from Ontario to PEI with all three and I found sticking to routine was the most important thing when away from home. You know your daughter best, so deciding what suits her mood and temperament would be best. You have picked a perfect resort to have the flexibility of the monorail and the ease of walking to MK. I would definitely plan on breakfast if she does well in the mornings. Chef Mickeys is busy but she will be at a great age for characters and I bet there will be some really lovely interactions. Happy trip planning and enjoy every minute with your sweet girl!

You've made a great start to your first trip report! I have to say, your daughter is so, so sweet! What fun you will have together. :) My boys were six and eight their first trip so I can't really comment on travelling with babies to Disney. We have, however travelled from Ontario to PEI with all three and I found sticking to routine was the most important thing when away from home. You know your daughter best, so deciding what suits her mood and temperament would be best. You have picked a perfect resort to have the flexibility of the monorail and the ease of walking to MK. I would definitely plan on breakfast if she does well in the mornings. Chef Mickeys is busy but she will be at a great age for characters and I bet there will be some really lovely interactions. Happy trip planning and enjoy every minute with your sweet girl!

Thanks so much for your kind words! At this point I can't imagine what it's like traveling with multiple children, so I give you major props!

Right now part of my struggle in planning is that she changes so much from month to month. I have no idea what her habits will be in 3 1/2 months. I hope to just plan to the best of my ability, and make adjustments in the last few weeks/days as needed. I am definitely interested to see how she does with the characters. She already loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so I'd wager she'll be excited to see Mickey!

This is what happened when she got a Minnie Mouse in her Easter basket:

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree with this one!

Last edited:

Good morning, Disboards!

As my Fastpass+ window quickly approaches, I've been doing tons of research about how to handle Animal Kingdom now that Pandora is open. We're totally excited to explore the new land, but crowd reports this week have got me scared!

giphy (2).gif

As I mentioned before, our extended family is joining us on the first two days of our trip. I'd like to plan a Magic Kingdom day with them, and an Animal Kingdom day. Ideally, our first day would be at MK, as I'd love for that to be baby C's first park. But that puts AK on our second day, and that date is morning EMH at Animal Kingdom. I don't see us making an 8 am rope drop with baby, so I'm wondering if we shouldn't skip that park that day.

I would definitely have our FP+ organized ahead of time, but do you think showing up around 10 am to Pandora on a morning EMH day is a rookie move? I guess we don't really know what crowds will be like in three months, but presumably they will have died down some by mid Sept.

I will likely do FP+ for FoP for half our party, and the river ride for the other half (we're not all thrill seekers ;)) I'd then do some Fastpasses for Everest and Dinosaur. Our goal for AK would be explore Pandora, eat some snacks (green beer! :drinking1), ride a few more rides in the park, then leave.

So, any opinions? Should I switch our plans so we visit AK on our first day to avoid the EMH, or do you think we would still be fine showing up mid-morning on an EMH day so long as we plan FP+ accordingly?

Hi all, hope everyone had a great weekend!

So, while I've been thinking about Fastpasses, I've been wondering about some strategies for corralling my big group.

giphy (4).gif

DH and I will do some MK with baby later in the trip, but on one of the early days with our extended family, we also intend to do a Magic Kingdom day. I will hopefully get us all on Peter Pan together, then Mine Train. One thing I want to do for sure as a group is meet talking Mickey, but I'm not sure this is worth a Fastpass. Anyone have experience with this? I don't think we'll make rope drop, but might be in there around 10 am. Just wondering if Mickey will already be a long line.

Later in the week DH and I are visiting Epcot just us and baby, and I know I want to book Frozen. We've never done it before, and I'm super excited about it!

giphy (3).gif

However, Test Track is DH's favorite ride in Epcot, and I'd really like to try the new Soarin, as I haven't seen it with the new film. Anyone know what the chances are of picking up Fastpasses for these day of? I know DH can always do single rider on TT.

I have such a love/hate relationship with the new Fastpass system. It does require more planning, but I think I'm going to be glad to have these things sorted out in advance when traveling with an infant!

Hi, all!

Just checking in with some thoughts about character meet n greets.

giphy-downsized (1).gif

More specifically: autographs.

From the start, I figured I wouldn't bother with character autographs, as baby will be way too young to grasp the concept (or care). However, it's shaping up that we'll have a number of character experiences, from character meals to the Mickey meet, so I'm rethinking my anti-autograph stance.

Now I'm thinking it might be a nice souvenir to have Baby's First Autograph Book. It's something I know I would treasure, and I can show it to little one when she gets older. I saw some really cute book options on Etsy. I also saw a really cute banner idea that I could then hang in her room at home.

So what have you all done in the past for autographs???

So, any opinions? Should I switch our plans so we visit AK on our first day to avoid the EMH,
Hopefully it won't be quite so crazy in September but it is still going to be super hot. I would get to AK as early as possible. Would you consider doing the EMH or would it be too much? Any chance of scheduling AK later in the trip?
However, Test Track is DH's favorite ride in Epcot, and I'd really like to try the new Soarin, as I haven't seen it with the new film. Anyone know what the chances are of picking up Fastpasses for these day of? I know DH can always do single rider on TT.
Maybe you could try to rope drop Soarin' and have your FP for Frozen. What about doing an early breakfast at Garden Grill? The food is great and you would see Farmer Mickey, Chip, Dale and Pluto. Once you are finished you could walk right on to Soarin' and maybe do Living with the Land as well. I would have DH do Test Track as single rider for sure.

So what have you all done in the past for autographs???
A book would be great. You could also get a picture frame and have the characters all sign along the matt. Then you could put your favourite Disney picture of your daughter in the frame. On our first trip when the boys were 6 and 8, they were crazy about collecting autographs.

I clicked over from my PTR and have enjoyed reading your's thus far! Can't wait to hear more of your plans. We traveled with DS5 for the first time when he was 15 months, so we've done a little traveling with a pretty young child.

Good morning! I felt like a good first follow up to my original post would be discussing ADRs, but I'm still ironing out where we'll be dining. Sit down restaurants are a big part of mine and DH's Disney travel, but we know things will be a bit different this time with an infant.

YES!!! Things are going to be very different for sure! One thing we've learned don't put the child in the high chair until food has arrived. This may not make sense, but I'm convinced that as soon as the butt hits the high chair a timer starts for how long the child will stay in that chair. The last thing you want is for that timer to run out right as you are about to eat your entree. So, we used to hold DS until our entrees arrived and he seemed to be able to stay in the high chair longer during the main part of the meal. Also, don't hesitate to get up and take walks while waiting for your food. I've done this plenty of times!

Another thing we always keep in mind is since our kids are young we try and schedule most sit down meals to be either character buffets or family style meals. Those seem to be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier with young kids than making them sit through a meal where you are waiting on a waiter to come over, take your order, the food be cooked, etc.
For those who have traveled with infants, did you find breakfast then heading to the parks to be too much? Does it make more sense to do breakfast, nap in the room, then head to the park? Should we think about a character breakfast in the park? Or should we scrap the breakfast idea altogether?

I can say we've only ever done these in a park. It also probably really depends on your child. Our kids have always been early risers as DW and I are both teachers, so they get up every day to go to daycare. Making it to rope drop was never an issue for us, it was the afternoon nap time that was critical, but that is how our kids have been raised. Bottom line I don't know if I can help you too much, but I can say character breakfasts in the park did work well for us.

As I mentioned before, our extended family is joining us on the first two days of our trip. I'd like to plan a Magic Kingdom day with them, and an Animal Kingdom day. Ideally, our first day would be at MK, as I'd love for that to be baby C's first park. But that puts AK on our second day, and that date is morning EMH at Animal Kingdom. I don't see us making an 8 am rope drop with baby, so I'm wondering if we shouldn't skip that park that day.

I wish I could help on this question. There is no telling what Animal Kingdom, specifically Pandora, crowds will be like in September. Normally September you might be fine, but with Pandora still being new you might run into some issues.

I will likely do FP+ for FoP for half our party, and the river ride for the other half (we're not all thrill seekers ;)) I'd then do some Fastpasses for Everest and Dinosaur. Our goal for AK would be explore Pandora, eat some snacks (green beer! :drinking1), ride a few more rides in the park, then leave.

I like this plan. Honestly, since you have the child swap you could technically get a CS pass for FoP for the people who have that FP and that would allow up to three other people ride it in the FP line later on. That won't work for Na'vi, but no reason why you couldn't do that at FoP.

So, any opinions? Should I switch our plans so we visit AK on our first day to avoid the EMH, or do you think we would still be fine showing up mid-morning on an EMH day so long as we plan FP+ accordingly?

If every person only wants to ride one of the two Pandora rides I think you can still be successful with a late arrival, that's the beauty of the new FP system, but if people want multiple Pandora rides or to ride both you may have a hard time.​

As long as you are at Epcot at rope drop, which is tough with a little one, I would try riding test track first and getting a child swap to ride later and then heading over to Soarin' and getting a child swap for the other person to ride again there later. You may have a 25 minutes wait or so on Soarin', but with the new theatre the line doesn't get completely out of control as quick in the morning. I don't really know on day of FP availability. I just looked at Touring Plans and they say there are both Soarin' and TT FP's available for today after 2 PM, but of course it is just 9:30 AM when I'm writing this. It would probably depend how quick you could use your three FP's.

I have such a love/hate relationship with the new Fastpass system. It does require more planning, but I think I'm going to be glad to have these things sorted out in advance when traveling with an infant!

I agree for sure! There were a lot of great things with the old system, but with the new system I love the flexibility it gives you. You can show up late and still have a great day with FP+ whereas old FP you'd be so behind FP windows it would be tough to catch up and have a good day.

Can't wait to hear more of your plans!​

Hopefully it won't be quite so crazy in September but it is still going to be super hot. I would get to AK as early as possible. Would you consider doing the EMH or would it be too much? Any chance of scheduling AK later in the trip?

We will definitely try and get there as early as possible, just want to hedge our bets in case little one is having a late morning. We really want to just go off her lead, so I'm going to try and use FP to our best advantage. I know it will be hot though! eek!

I clicked over from my PTR and have enjoyed reading your's thus far! Can't wait to hear more of your plans. We traveled with DS5 for the first time when he was 15 months, so we've done a little traveling with a pretty young child.

YES!!! Things are going to be very different for sure! One thing we've learned don't put the child in the high chair until food has arrived. This may not make sense, but I'm convinced that as soon as the butt hits the high chair a timer starts for how long the child will stay in that chair. The last thing you want is for that timer to run out right as you are about to eat your entree. So, we used to hold DS until our entrees arrived and he seemed to be able to stay in the high chair longer during the main part of the meal. Also, don't hesitate to get up and take walks while waiting for your food. I've done this plenty of times!

Another thing we always keep in mind is since our kids are young we try and schedule most sit down meals to be either character buffets or family style meals. Those seem to be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier with young kids than making them sit through a meal where you are waiting on a waiter to come over, take your order, the food be cooked, etc.

I can say we've only ever done these in a park. It also probably really depends on your child. Our kids have always been early risers as DW and I are both teachers, so they get up every day to go to daycare. Making it to rope drop was never an issue for us, it was the afternoon nap time that was critical, but that is how our kids have been raised. Bottom line I don't know if I can help you too much, but I can say character breakfasts in the park did work well for us.

I wish I could help on this question. There is no telling what Animal Kingdom, specifically Pandora, crowds will be like in September. Normally September you might be fine, but with Pandora still being new you might run into some issues.

I like this plan. Honestly, since you have the child swap you could technically get a CS pass for FoP for the people who have that FP and that would allow up to three other people ride it in the FP line later on. That won't work for Na'vi, but no reason why you couldn't do that at FoP.

If every person only wants to ride one of the two Pandora rides I think you can still be successful with a late arrival, that's the beauty of the new FP system, but if people want multiple Pandora rides or to ride both you may have a hard time.​

As long as you are at Epcot at rope drop, which is tough with a little one, I would try riding test track first and getting a child swap to ride later and then heading over to Soarin' and getting a child swap for the other person to ride again there later. You may have a 25 minutes wait or so on Soarin', but with the new theatre the line doesn't get completely out of control as quick in the morning. I don't really know on day of FP availability. I just looked at Touring Plans and they say there are both Soarin' and TT FP's available for today after 2 PM, but of course it is just 9:30 AM when I'm writing this. It would probably depend how quick you could use your three FP's.

I agree for sure! There were a lot of great things with the old system, but with the new system I love the flexibility it gives you. You can show up late and still have a great day with FP+ whereas old FP you'd be so behind FP windows it would be tough to catch up and have a good day.

Can't wait to hear more of your plans!​

Thanks for all the tips! I think you are spot on about Pandora. I will likely get FoP FP for half of us, and the river ride for the other half. We're not all thrill seekers. I think we'll just get in and get out if Pandora is crazy hectic. Our goal for this trip is to make things as stress free as possible. We've been a bunch as a family, so if we dont get to something, that's fine. We just want to make new memories with baby!

You are off to a great start!! It has to be so exciting going to Disney for the first time with a little one!

I'd love to hear some tips/advice on this topic, as I'm new to the whole traveling with baby concept!

We have done Chef Mickey on a park morning, and we did it really early so we could make it to MK Rope Drop (RIP) The one piece of advice I'd give is to ask for a table out of the way/off to the side and put your munchkin in her high chair between mom and dad. Being out of the way will keep you from feeling like you're eating in the middle of that stampede in your gif earlier in the post, which can be exhausting for adults but entirely overwhelming for little ones. The characters will still come to your table regardless of where you sit so you won't be missing out on anything.

That's where the clever high chair placement comes in to play. If you and dad are there, she will probably be more comfortable when a giant, mute (albeit adorably dressed) overly-enthusiastic walking rodent approaches her un-invited. I think we as adults can take for granted how terrifying that can be. When we were at Aulani last summer, our 18 month old saw Goofy in his Hawaiian garb coming towards him and FREAKED. THE. YOUKNOWWHAT. OUT. He started screaming "Bye bye monster! Bye bye!!! Bye bye monster!!!" It was equal parts sad and hilarious. We said, "that's not a monster, that's Goofy!" To which he replied, "bye bye Boofy! Bye monster Boofy!!!"

I digress. She might love the "monsters" roaming about. She might not. If she has her attachment figures on each side of her, she'll have a better chance at handling it well.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
We have done Chef Mickey on a park morning, and we did it really early so we could make it to MK Rope Drop (RIP) The one piece of advice I'd give is to ask for a table out of the way/off to the side and put your munchkin in her high chair between mom and dad. Being out of the way will keep you from feeling like you're eating in the middle of that hyena stampede in your gif earlier in the post, which can be exhausting for adults but entirely overwhelming for little ones. The characters will still come to your table regardless of where you sit so you won't be missing out on anything.

That's where the cleaver high chair placement comes in to play. If you and dad are there, she will probably be more comfortable when an giant, mute (albeit adorably dressed) walking rodent approaches her un-invited. I think we as adults take for granted how terrifying that can be. When we were at Aulani last summer, our 18 month old saw Goofy in his Hawaiian garb coming towards him and FREAKED. THE. YOUKNOWWHAT. OUT. He started screaming "Bye bye monster! Bye bye!!! Bye bye monster!!!" It was equal parts sad and hilarious. We said, "that's not a monster, that's Goofy!" To which he replied, "bye bye Boofy! Bye monster Boofy!!!"

I digress. She might love the "monsters" roaming about. She might not. If she has her attachment figures on each side of her, she'll have a better chance at handling it well.

Hope that makes sense.

Oh my goodness, you're right...that story is sad and funny. Bless his heart!

Thanks for the advice. I totally hear you on the overwhelming thing. I plan to take it slow with characters!

A book would be great. You could also get a picture frame and have the characters all sign along the matt. Then you could put your favourite Disney picture of your daughter in the frame.

TOTALLY agree with Suse. A photo mat is the way to go. We've done that on our cruises and it is WAY cooler than an autograph book, imo. Get one that's sturdy and keep it in a gaon size ziploc for safety when not being signed. That'll easily fit an 8x10 matte.

Yeah. Makes it a lot more fun. Now I want to go update my PTR with super sweet images! Where do you get all those? Swaggy Elsa is my favorite. That might also need to be my wife's new nickname

Love it! I just google what I'm looking for, tons come up. I think Giphy is a popular site!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter