Back pain and rides

Rista1313

Mouseketeer
My husband has had a failed back surgery, he has constant back pain, and we are scared to book Disney for fear there will be no rides for him.

Can anyone tell me first hand how you have been effected? Which rides should we stay away from?

Thank you!

This lists the rides with health/pregnancy advisories:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/a...al-kingdom,expectant-mothers,health-concerns/

My mom, with Degenerative Disk Disorder, plus two neck surgeries, would not be able to ride these. Although, she probably would go ahead and ride Kilimanjaro Safaris, but not in the last few rows. She does not have constant back/neck pain, frequent, but not constant.

Here some that I can think of that she would not likely be able to handle or mentioned issues:
  • Astro Orbiter - Getting in and out would be an issue
  • Haunted Mansion - The part that goes backwards caused her some discomfort
  • Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - Bouncing

There could be others that someone in constant pain might have issues from, but she either did not have issues or she would not ride them for other reasons.

All this being said, my mom enjoys seeing shows and shopping as much, if not more, than doing the attractions. She is now in her early 60s and her last trip to WDW was when she was mid-50s and only had 1 surgery then.

She has said that on any future trips, she probably would not spend as much time in the parks. Other than a one night stay at All Star Sports almost 2 decades ago, she has only stayed at the cabins at FW. She knows that with the right resort, she would have no problem doing just 4-6 hours at a time a the parks and then spending the rest of the time at a resort.

There is a lot you can do my friend with a lot of pain problems can do Magic carpets of Aladdin haunted mantion little mermaid Peter pain sometimes small world. Pooh buzz but can not do the drop on pirates I think there is enough to do even with out the rides

I was there a few weeks ago in extreme pain - back/bladder, they thought it could have been kidney stones so taken to ER (not kidney stones, bad infection and other issues) etc.

For the back pain - avoid Dinosaur, EE, Kali, safari at AK. FoP was OK for me, but how is he bending forward? Na'vi was fine for me as well.

MK - stay off the coasters, even 7DMT, as the last stop can be jarring. I was fine on haunted mansion (although if you get stopped on an incline or decline it might hurt?) Peter Pan, Small World, Mermaid, Buzz (although my 12 yr old niece was a bit rough on the rotating stick) TTA, Pirates (the small drop was OK) and Splash (although things hurt at the big drop).

HS - Toy Story was rough. I didn't get on Star Tours or any other rough rides. We did get to ride the Great Movie Ride one last time before it closed.

EPCOT - Soarin' was fine, Test Track was a bit rough. Nemo, Living with the Land (except when the boats bumped into each other) Ellen, Mexico's boat ride - all those were good.

Perhaps your hubby could also watch some ride videos (Big Fat Panda has some great POV ride videos that he tries to keep current on his YouTube page) to help him see what to expect; that way, he can see if the drops, jostles, bumps and other "features" might cause him more pain.

I can tell you all day long what rides *I* avoid, but my pain may not be the same as his, and my tolerance for additional pain (or lack of it!) might not be the same either.

I have pretty severe constant back pain. I don't go on space, orbiter, or splash because I can't get in the vehicles. everything else is an adventure.

Just to add to what other people have said. There is plenty to do even with bad back pain. I am a wheelchair user and I specifically really enjoy the Haunted Mansion and the Jungle Cruise (I would also have said The Great Movie Ride but alas, it is no more). The only ones I would say to be wary of are Space Mountain and Toy Story Mania, both of which can get a little jerky.

Good luck persuading him

I herniated a disc in my back 6 years ago, and there are a lot of WDW rides and DLR rides that were a complete no go for a really long time. It all depends on his functionality and what causes his pain to get worse. For me, any ride that had any kind of jerking motion was out for a very long time. That is the vast majority of rides. Also, if getting up from a seated position and having to step out of a ride is difficult for him, it is probably going to make some rides unpleasant.

For me, any of the rollercoasters or boat rides were out. The rollercoasters were way too jerky and the boats smash into each other (pirates, small world, etc). Tower of terror was out as well. Rides like Peter Pan were also a no go because of how jerky they were. The bugs life show at AK/DCA is the devil due to the part where you get stabbed in the back.

Carousel of progress is something that I could do. Haunted didn't bother me since I knew the ride well enough to position my body in such a way to reduce pain when the vehicle tilts back. Country bear jamboree was good as were any of the other shows at all the parks. People mover was okay for me. Little mermaid and nemo were fine (except for the conveyor belt which made it challenging to get my balance).

Disney with back pain is hard since so much of it will aggravate it.

Just to add to what other people have said. There is plenty to do even with bad back pain. I am a wheelchair user and I specifically really enjoy the Haunted Mansion and the Jungle Cruise (I would also have said The Great Movie Ride but alas, it is no more). The only ones I would say to be wary of are Space Mountain and Toy Story Mania, both of which can get a little jerky.

Good luck persuading him

Thanks,

No persuasion needed, he's the one who brought up going to Disney, I just want to make sure he will have a good time! I'm getting good information on which rides we should stay away from, (although he might have to wait for me because I really want to go on Toy Story) and depending on his pain level, I'll let him decide what he wants to try.

IF you go on Kilimanjaro Safari (even with a bad back, I do, because I love it), be sure to ask for the first or second row. The further back you sit, you feel the bumps MUCH more. I always ask for first or second row, and the CMs have always been very accommodating.

While published lists are good, everyone's "pain" is different. Location of pain, type of pain (sharp, stabbing, burning, constant, etc), the person's tolerance, how dependent they are on pain meds, and other factors play a role. In addition to what happens during a ride, you need to also consider the "what if" scenario? What if the ride has to come to a sudden, unexpected stop? Even the teacups could jerk you around a LOT if it comes to a sudden stop. And the raceway at MK, while not a jerky ride, is murder at the end of the ride when cars are stacked up waiting to be unloaded. You are guaranteed to have someone bump you very hard from the back.

There is so much more to Disney than rides. I've gone on solo trips and rode only 2 - 3 rides during my entire stay. Shows, streetmosphere, and other activities can fill your days. Going to a park to catch parades, fireworks, etc. is fun. I find EPCOT to be a full two-three day park if you try to catch all of the different shows in the countries. Visiting the resorts is also cool. Sit in the lobby of the Grand Floridian and listen to the pianist, sit in the viewing areas at the Animal Kingdom lodge and watch the animals. Or maybe afternoon tea? If going before the end of this year-La Nouba.

All that said-here is my list of "able to's" (off top of my head-I may miss some): MK: Pirates, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Belle, Haunted Mansion., Peter Pan, Small World (the boats sometimes bump but nothing major), Pooh, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear, Monsters Inc Laugh, and a MUST DO-The Flag ceremony, parades, shows, street shows like Dapper Dans, pianist at Casey's etc. Just for kicks-may he'd like to have a haircut at the MK barbershop. EPCOT: Everything except Mission Space, Test Track and maybe Spaceship Esrth (it rattles); AK_I don't even go. While there are lost of non-rides things to do, they all involve animals and I just don't care. The Safari is horrible-I don't care where you sit. I've been everywhere and come off in pain-it usually goes away after awhile.Studios: everything except for Star Tours and Toy Story Mania-TSM whips you around corners.

If you have time and are able, you can be his tester. When a new attraction opens, my SIL will ride it and get off and let me know if I can handle it :-)

Follow the link in my signature or look near the top of this board for the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

There is a post about attractions with warnings which includes a bit about why there might be a warning and some of the things that might be a special concern (like no neck support, vehicle turns backward and you will be resting on your back).

I have back and neck pain from a car accident and honestly all roller coasters are a no-go. Even on the smoothest roller coasters when the ride is over the cart sometimes comes to a hard stop when the ride is finished which can aggravate back problems.

I've even had aggrevated back pain on Small World when there was a backup at the loading/unloading station. We were just about to go into the "goodbye room" when we noticed the boats were backed up. Our boat bumped into the stopped boat in front of us. Then the boat behind us bumped ours and I could feel each successive boat bumping on down the line. My husband and kids could barely feel it but it really bothered me. If I'm having a bad neck/back pain day I now avoid boat rides like Navi, Pirates, Frozen, Splash, etc.

Unlike many previous posters I can't do the safari, it is too bumpy for me.

It has taken a bit of getting used to but I still enjoy Disney just as much as I did prior to my accident. Perhaps just pick a small handful of rides and try focusing your trip on meals and shows.

I have bad neck pain and have to avoid all coasters with exception of 7DMT (first row only). I cannot do Safari - really bumps me round, nor Teacups or similar rides.

I have mild Back problems myself, so Knowing what to look for...

As mentioned before, Boat rides tend to bump up for the Unload. With My mild issues, I just kind of Brace for the impact and am fine... but, I can see where that would be an issue with some riders. This being said, If you can get past that part, Most "Boat rides" are actually very smooth.

MK-
Avoid

Space mountain is tough to get in and out of, and the ride itself is a bit Jerky. Avoid!.
Winnie the pooh Bounces you around Alot.
Never been on the orbiter as I hate heights...

RIDE!
Haunted Mansion
Buzz Lightyear (Assuming Your Partner in the vehicle doesn't jerk you around)
Splash Mountain (See previous Boat comment)
Pirates of the Carribbean (See previous Boat comment)

Animal Kingdom-
Avoid

Safari is usually really rough. I can go on it, But it will hurt someone with moderate back problems.
Kali river rapids is the one "Boat ride" I would avoid with back problems. The Boat Backup Bump at the end of the ride is pretty large.
Everest- Comes to a very Hard Stop at the end of the ride. As far as roller coasters go, this one is fairly smooth, but the stop at the end is brutal.

Ride
The animal "Nature trails" are actually a really underrated part of animal kingdom.

*Have not done Pandora Yet, so cannot comment on those rides

Hollywood Studios
Avoid:

Tower of terror: The up and down motion makes this, in my opinion, the worst ride at Disney world for people with back pain issues.
Rockin Roller Coaster: Starts with a jerk, ends with a jerk. Other than that, its actually a fairly smooth Coaster.

I personally have no issues with toy story, but as it has multiple twist and turns, it could aggrivate back issues.

Ride:
Muppet studios? As a whole, most rides at Hollywood are rough on your back.

EPCOT:
Avoid:
Test Track: Multiple jerky turns and start/stops.
Mission Space: very bumpy ride.

Ride:
Almost anything else at Epcot. Epcot, (Combined with world showcase) Is actually one of the best parks for someone with Back problems. Multiple shows, and most of the rides (Other than the two mentioned above) are smooth, and quite enjoyable as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter