Backpacks & other bags

Travel60

DIS Veteran
After being whacked in the face, head, & shoulders several times by backpacks that stick 18 inches off the wearer's back, two questions come to mind: First, what IS in those bags (I come to the park with a tiny crossbody carrying phone, ID, credit cards and a lipstick). And second, will Disney will ever go the route of college and professional sports stadiums with the clear bag and limited size bag policy? Maybe with size-limited exceptions for diaper bags ....

Rain jackets, souvenirs that people want to have right away (or don't know shipping to resort is an option), snacks, refillable mugs, etc. People really have to be careful when walking/changing direction and the bag gets swinging. I doubt Disney will go away from backpacks until something tragic happens.

People who have young kids need to carry more. Changing pad, diapers, wipes, extra clothes, sunscreen, etc. That isn't going to fit into a small crossbody. Even if the family doesn't need diaper needs, I've seen the dad carry one bag with everyone's things.

I can't see Disney going to the clear bag policy. In my eyes that would be ridiculous. Going to a football game and sitting for 2-3 hours is different than going to a theme park all day. There is no need to limit bag size or make sure the bag is clear. When I see someone carrying a big ole bag I am just thankful that I'm not carrying it!

Of course people need to be considerate and aware enough not to bump people with their bags. I'd love to go with just a small bag! Maybe one day. Our kids are older (9, 12, and 15) but there's still a lot of stuff. Between me and DH we carry 5 water bottles, an EpiPen, ponchos, a camera, snacks for people with special dietary needs who can't always find them in the parks, a small thing of first aid supplies, tissues, sunscreen, autograph books, phone chargers, and my sunglasses. If the morning or evening is cold, DH and I each have our own jacket and the kids take turns carrying a bag with their jackets. In theory we could go with 5 small bags, but we know that the kids wear out faster that way. If the 2 of us carry most of the stuff, we can squeeze in an extra hour or 2 in the parks.

I don't have kids, but I always go into the parks with a small backpack (a little bigger than the Loungefly mini bags). I have definitely seen people with HUGE backpacks, and have been hit my my fair share of them. I think a lot of the problem is people don't pay attention to their surroundings all the time in the parks, so they may swing around really quickly and knock you out without really meaning to. Usually, I take a look behind and to the side of me before turning around or swinging my backpack off when I need to grab something.

Our backpack has a small area for my camera ( I have an SLR ) - it also has both my husband and my eye glasses, drink mix and usually our rain jackets.

I'd love to go with a smaller bag but the camera doesn't allow.

In August I was stuck behind this woman at the EPCOT bag check. She had a roll of packing tape in her bag. Apparently packing tape is on the "you can't bring this into the park" list and it was confiscated. She had a fit.

I don't have kids but I'm sure I always brought something bigger than a cross body. During my trips to the high school I brought along a draw string bag or a Vera Bradley backpack and on our most recent trip I brought a Longchamp Le Pliage backpack. Although it wasn't entirely full, I did keep a jacket, my wallet, and numerous small things like a sunglasses case, rewetting drops, portable charger, chord, headphones,and some other things. Those are the things that I typically bring every trip.

Waterbottles, Snacks, Umbrellas, change of socks but my bag is usally pretty empty since its hard to bring on rides if its to big

I hope they don’t go the clear bag route. Haven’t seen one that would be comfortable to wear all day! Before I had a kid I carried ponchos, sometimes our refillable mugs, tissues, hand sanitizer, cell phone and if I bought something small it went in there too.

When my kids were little, I packed like I was going on an expedition into the Amazon jungle. Now that they're grown, my own needs fit into a light fisherman's vest.

Im a solo traveller and I dont have kids BUT I still need something larger than a small cross body. Over the years I have tried to reduce as much as possible but these are my essentials

• wallet
  • small point and click camera
  • phone
  • refillable water bottle
  • book
  • pins in a small baggie to trade
  • light cardigan to cover shoulders and arms during afternoon sunshine
  • small makeup bag which has sunscreen, deodorant, facewipes, tissues to freshen up during the day
  • sunglasses
  • hand held fan

I need a backpack. Wish I could get away with just a crossbody, but I carry a refillable water bottle and raincoats for DD, DH, and myself. Also carry my wallet, a portable charger, a small makeup bag with band aids, sunscreen, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, tissues, eye drops, and my eye glass case.

Disney already has bag size limitations on backpacks and other items:

• Suitcases, coolers or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" (61 cm) long x 15" (38 cm) wide x 18" (46 cm) high. Coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations.

There are a few variables that prompt people to take a backpack, parents with kids, parents with special needs guests, people wishing to reduce their overall costs by bringing in food, drink and snacks, people who wish to be prepared (I'm sure there are lots of others too). It's really a moot point whether you agree with them or not, that's the beauty of free will. I can appreciate how it can slow entrance / back check lines down or be an inconvenience when the park is packed and someone is oblivious to their bag swinging about, however, Disney won't prevent them in the near future imo.

I personally always take in a backpack due to having 2 special needs younger children, its literally a life saver! That said, I pack conscientiously so things can be easily accessed at bag check and it isn't too big of a bag most of the time (I use color coordinated mesh packing cubes) But if needed, i'll take in my large backpack and load it up with what we need.

Im a solo traveller and I dont have kids BUT I still need something larger than a small cross body. Over the years I have tried to reduce as much as possible but these are my essentials

• wallet
  • small point and click camera
  • phone
  • refillable water bottle
  • book
  • pins in a small baggie to trade
  • light cardigan to cover shoulders and arms during afternoon sunshine
  • small makeup bag which has sunscreen, deodorant, facewipes, tissues to freshen up during the day
  • sunglasses
  • hand held fan

That's a good list of essentials, I can tell you've done this a fewtimes! But now I find that having a phone that pretty much does everything eliminates the need for books(or any printed matter), as well as a camera or watch.
I don't have kids, but I always go into the parks with a small backpack (a little bigger than the Loungefly mini bags). I have definitely seen people with HUGE backpacks, and have been hit my my fair share of them. I think a lot of the problem is people don't pay attention to their surroundings all the time in the parks, so they may swing around really quickly and knock you out without really meaning to. Usually, I take a look behind and to the side of me before turning around or swinging my backpack off when I need to grab something.

That's a good list of essentials, I can tell you've done this a fewtimes! But now I find that having a phone that pretty much does everything eliminates the need for books(or any printed matter), as well as a camera or watch.

Well as an international traveler to USA I turn off my data on my phone and rely on free Wifi. As we all know the Wifi in Disney is not the best, so I rarely use my phone in the parks. And yes that includes NOT using Maxpass. In fact during my entire 12 days in USA I rarely use my phone, I use my time as a digital detox, friends and family know this and I check in every so often at set times.

Also in my day to day life, I still read normal books all the time. I have a daily bus commute of over 60 minutes and Im one of those odd people on the bus who is not using a phone and is reading a proper book.

Well as an international traveler to USA I turn off my data on my phone and rely on free Wifi. As we all know the Wifi in Disney is not the best, so I rarely use my phone in the parks. And yes that includes NOT using Maxpass. In fact during my entire 12 days in USA I rarely use my phone, I use my time as a digital detox, friends and family know this and I check in every so often at set times.

Also in my day to day life, I still read normal books all the time. I have a daily bus commute of over 60 minutes and Im one of those odd people on the bus who is not using a phone and is reading a proper book.

It's nice to know there are still some people who can take an extended break from their phone! Too many people walk around the parks staring at their phone instead of enjoying the sights and sounds!

I carry a backpack because it puts less stress on my back over the course of a day than a cross body would, even a small cross body.
I don't carry tons in it but between wallet, sunglasses, water, umbrella, whatever souvenirs I want, charger and phone, it just feels better to carry across the entirety of back rather than across a single shoulder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!