• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Backstage Magic with kids

I'm thinking of booking an ABD trip for the first time. My TA suggested Backstage Magic but I'm concerned with bringing my two kids (10yo and 8yo). Has anyone done this trip with their kids and how did the tour guides prevent from spoiling the magic with the characters? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have not done this trip although I have recently read the descriptions and I believe that certain tour dates are restricted for ages 18 and above. I imagine that these dates allow for more information behind the scenes. You may want to check on this.

I'm thinking of booking an ABD trip for the first time. My TA suggested Backstage Magic but I'm concerned with bringing my two kids (10yo and 8yo). Has anyone done this trip with their kids and how did the tour guides prevent from spoiling the magic with the characters? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean "spoiling the magic with the Charecters" There is nothing on the tour to spoil any magic. I don't think you have a good grasp of what the tour involves. The interaction with the charecters occurs at charecter meals not behind the scenes. This tour enables you to go places you can't go such as imagineering and Jim Henson Studios.

I have not done this trip although I have recently read the descriptions and I believe that certain tour dates are restricted for ages 18 and above. I imagine that these dates allow for more information behind the scenes. You may want to check on this.

On most ABD itineraries there are Adult only trips that are offered. The trips are not altered for the adult only trips except that there is no junior adventurerers night.

What do you mean "spoiling the magic with the Charecters" There is nothing on the tour to spoil any magic. I don't think you have a good grasp of what the tour involves. The interaction with the charecters occurs at charecter meals not behind the scenes. This tour enables you to go places you can't go such as imagineering and Jim Henson Studios.

Thanks for replying, and yes I don't have a good grasp nor have I done one of these group vacations which is why I was "asking for advice".
If you have any positive advice to give regarding this trip or even if you'd done one of these trips with kids we'd appreciate it.
Maybe I can help clarify my concern with characters. When we walk backstage of Disneyland is there a chance of someone seeing characters that arent fully dressed? We had this same concern when doing the Backstage Tour at the Magic Kingdom.

Thanks for replying, and yes I don't have a good grasp nor have I done one of these group vacations which is why I was "asking for advice".
If you have any positive advice to give regarding this trip or even if you'd done one of these trips with kids we'd appreciate it.
Maybe I can help clarify my concern with characters. When we walk backstage of Disneyland is there a chance of someone seeing characters that arent fully dressed? We had this same concern when doing the Backstage Tour at the Magic Kingdom.

I went on this trip, we went backstage at disneyland, we went to the barn with the animals and saw where they loaded the fireworks and saw the steam trains but we didn't go anywhere where CM would be getting dressed so there were no characters half dressed. There is a really good trip report but it gives the whole trip so be warned if you read and decide to go on this trip then you will not be surprised on the trip.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2035488

My 10-year-old daughter and I took the tour in August and we didn't see any characters backstage. The tour seemed pretty regimented as to what it contained. What I mean by that is we went from one scheduled presentation (for lack of a better word) to another. And going to the employee dressing room wasn't on the agenda. :)

In general, though, my daughter loved the tour and loved the fact that so many children of all ages were there with her. We even had a few teenagers who took it upon themselves to help corral the younger ones during the "troop movements." The pace is fast, though, with early mornings and a couple of late nights if you take advantage of all that is offered. You might want to consider your kids' stamina levels when booking the tour.

We went on an adult only Backstage Magic. When we were in the backstage area, we never saw any "characters" out of costume. Most definitely go on this trip.

My 10-year-old daughter and I took the tour in August and we didn't see any characters backstage. The tour seemed pretty regimented as to what it contained. What I mean by that is we went from one scheduled presentation (for lack of a better word) to another. And going to the employee dressing room wasn't on the agenda. :)

In general, though, my daughter loved the tour and loved the fact that so many children of all ages were there with her. We even had a few teenagers who took it upon themselves to help corral the younger ones during the "troop movements." The pace is fast, though, with early mornings and a couple of late nights if you take advantage of all that is offered. You might want to consider your kids' stamina levels when booking the tour.

Thank you. This was very helpful. Is there anyone else out there that has done this with kids?

We did this trip with our family last year. Our kids were older - 13 & 16. While there was nothing that would spoil things as far as characters go, I'm not sure that I would have really wanted to do this trip with kids younger than about 11 or 12. Yes, there was plenty for the younger kids to do (and we had several in our group), and the guides were very good at keeping them entertained, but I felt that it got a little too involved for younger kids and we did spend a lot of time "backstage" in other ways. If you've been to Disney a few times, then it is very interesting to see and learn more about it. However, for a younger child who is still in awe of the whole thing, I thought it a bit "un-magical" to see so much of the nuts and bolts of the operation. But really you know your child best and what she may be up for. Overall, we found it a fun and informative trip, but were glad that our kids were older and had already enjoyed a few good trips to Disney.

We took our 2 teens and our 10 year old with us. It is an "intensive" tour looking and moving quickly. There were a few exhausted people on the tour (due to some very early meet times) but you need to consider the reason for choosing this ABD. We specifically took our teens bc one has always been fascinated with sound and lighting technologies and the other is more artistic in his love of Disney. They both saw and met people in both fields which was the purpose of us bringing them on the trip. The 10 year old was just happy to be a part of it all.

When I read the boards and see questions of whether a family will find an 8 year old girl "buddy" to match their 8 year old daughter...etc. on the trip, I have to laugh. My 2 teens were the oldest kids in the group and were never bored or uninterested in what was going on. Both guides were very engaging with all the kids:)

All the kids on our trip were great kids. A much younger child might be overwhelmed by the extensive history on the trip:) and want to get to the "rides" which doesn't occur til mid-trip. You just have to figure out what works best for your family:thumbsup2

We took our 2 teens and our 10 year old with us. It is an "intensive" tour looking and moving quickly. There were a few exhausted people on the tour (due to some very early meet times) but you need to consider the reason for choosing this ABD. We specifically took our teens bc one has always been fascinated with sound and lighting technologies and the other is more artistic in his love of Disney. They both saw and met people in both fields which was the purpose of us bringing them on the trip. The 10 year old was just happy to be a part of it all.

When I read the boards and see questions of whether a family will find an 8 year old girl "buddy" to match their 8 year old daughter...etc. on the trip, I have to laugh. My 2 teens were the oldest kids in the group and were never bored or uninterested in what was going on. Both guides were very engaging with all the kids:)

All the kids on our trip were great kids. A much younger child might be overwhelmed by the extensive history on the trip:) and want to get to the "rides" which doesn't occur til mid-trip. You just have to figure out what works best for your family:thumbsup2

This is really great information!!! It sounds like the vacation I wanted to be on. I'm looking at doing this during the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter