Bad experiences if your disabled on the buses

Rkeefer880

Earning My Ears
Had a bad experience with a bus driver this morning, <edited>, from <edited> going from Yacht Club to Magic Kingdom at 8:15 am on 12/15. I think the bus number was <edited>. I was in a motorized scooter because I have three fractured vertebrae. He overshot the ramp, let everyone else board first, and didn’t back up to get me. My daughter had to tell him I was there. He asked me several times if I would transfer. I told him I couldn’t. I was trying to park, he seemed impatient. I asked for his help, he said he didn’t like to do that unless the person got out. Trust me, I’d love to jump out! When we parked, again, offered no help..again very impatient. For me, having an invisible disability is a practice in patience. I have had several bus drivers who have been very impatient or downright rude . Another driver outright lied and said he was full, when my husband looked, there were empty seats as well as no motorized chairs on the bus at the time. I implore Disney to work with their drivers on disability training, discrimination laws as well as empathy. I know it doesn’t apply to all their drivers. A shout out to Sal!! He was awesome! But for the most part, they were undertrained, one driver forgot to secure my chair, in dealing with people who truly cannot transfer due to a severe disability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a bad experience with a bus driver this morning, <edited>, from <edited> going from Yacht Club to Magic Kingdom at 8:15 am on 12/15. I think the bus number was <edited>. I was in a motorized scooter because I have three fractured vertebrae. He overshot the ramp, let everyone else board first, and didn’t back up to get me. My daughter had to tell him I was there. He asked me several times if I would transfer. I told him I couldn’t. I was trying to park, he seemed impatient. I asked for his help, he said he didn’t like to do that unless the person got out. Trust me, I’d love to jump out! When we parked, again, offered no help..again very impatient. For me, having an invisible disability is a practice in patience. I have had several bus drivers who have been very impatient or downright rude . Another driver outright lied and said he was full, when my husband looked, there were empty seats as well as no motorized chairs on the bus at the time. I implore Disney to work with their drivers on disability training, discrimination laws as well as empathy. I know it doesn’t apply to all their drivers. A shout out to Sal!! He was awesome! But for the most part, they were undertrained, one driver forgot to secure my chair, in dealing with people who truly cannot transfer due to a severe disability.

Really sorry to hear this.

You should provide Disney with this detailed information.

I agree. Send an email to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com.

Is there a reason you're not suggesting she address the problems now, while she's there, to (ideally) make her remaining bus rides better?

Unfortunately I don’t know how or to whom to report this onsite — do you? If you do know, tell her! All I have to offer is the Guest Satisfaction address. Sending the email now while she’s there would mean response coming from there too, wouldn’t it? Hopefully would result in higher level Transportation folks being made aware.

WHY would you EVER post a human beings name, location etc on a Disney fan internet site. If you had a problem this detailed information should be provided directly to Disney, not here JMHO.

<edited from Moderator... quoting a post with the information makes more work for us cleaning it up>

I’m sorry you had that experience, and I hope you spoke to someone at Disney about it.

Agreeing with Hopefully... uncalled for to post their name and home town. Disney does not frequent these boards. Were you hoping that someone here would know him or something....?

WHY would you EVER post a human beings name, location etc on a Disney fan internet site. If you had a problem this detailed information should be provided directly to Disney, not here JMHO.
100% agree. The posting of names, locations and the like should not be posted publicly like this. It can lead to harassment and other things that are not called for. Especially with one side of a story. I have seen what can happen too many times... which is why most sites now do not allow it.

Sorry, you had a bad experience. My mom used an ECV on our last trip in October. Some bus drivers were awesome and accommodating and some quite impatient.

Yes, the bus driver is allowed to help park the scooter. The bus driver helped my mom park the scooter every single time we boarded a bus. She drives it up onto the bus and then the driver stands facing the scooter and steers it to get it into the spot. ECVs are harder to steer then people realize, especially in a tight place like the bus and while everyone waiting to board is staring out you (so much pressure! lol). A bus driver told us he was glad she spoke up and asked for help. Said he preferred that as oppose to people steering poorly and ramming into the sides of the bus.

I also highly doubt that someone is going to track down <edited> from Michigan.

I may be wrong but I don't think the drivers are supposed to provide that type of assistance in parking your scooter.

I don't know whether they're allowed to or not, but I frequently see bus drivers helping to navigate the front wheel of a scooter for faster or more efficient parking. Or if the scooter rider can transfer, I've seen the bus driver get on the scooter and park it themselves. Its often easier for the driver to do it, especially on a crowded bus.

I’m sorry you had a bad situation with this bus driver. I’ve had several over the course of my time at WDW. Some were just impatient or rude, some were lazy and didn’t want to follow safety protocols, others were just inexperienced. I’ve had them almost tip me, grab the front of my basket and (try to) pull me up the ramp, and not ask if and when and how I want help, among other things.

I agree that it really is a test of patience to need a scooter, let alone to have to add dealing with other people, especially those who SHOULD be trained to be empathetic and whose job it is to help you.

The front desk at your resort or guest relations at the parks really is the best place to get resolution. I know from experience that Disney will make it right if you reach out to the appropriate department.

I know this isn’t related to the above subject but kind of is, if you have a specific complaint of any description would the best place to go to be guest relations and the front of the parks or if you stay onsite would the front of desk be a good option?

Even the best people have "off" days. There are systems in place to deal with these issues, if you so are inclined to do so. A Disney Message Board is probably not where I'd start, especially if I was on my trip currently. Disney can train their people to death, but that does not mean they are going to be "on" 100% of the time and we are foolish to expect that.

Admittedly I haven’t had to call for a number of years but I had an incident with a driver at Boardwalk who did something very similar to me. It was morning so there was a transport coordinator there. He gave me a number to report the actual driver and bus number. 407-824-2222 and ask for the transportation supervisor. I called and reported him.

His comportment and demeanor gave me the very distinct impression this was not a “one off” for him but something he did when he didn’t want to be bothered loading the ECV. The only way to track it is to report it to a supervisor. Don’t know whether it helped in that case but I tried.

Sorry this happened OP. It’s hard enough navigating the world with a disability. Most drivers are so helpful that the problem drivers really stick out like a sore thumb!

I remember years ago being told to take a photo of the bus number on the back of the bus, and use that to ID the bus and driver. Does that still hold true?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter