Bad weather and the Dopey challenge

UK_Disney_Dopey_Hopeful

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone.

so I’ve been doing a lot more research recently as I’m planning to do my first ever rundisney event in 2021 (the Dopey challenge in January)

so from what I read you get 6 medals if you complete all 4 races. However, I know a few years back there was really bad weather and Disney had to cancel a race (I think it was the 10km, might have been the half?)

so if you are unlucky enough that this happens and you complete the remaining races, do you still get the challenge medals? And is there anyway to still get the medal from the cancelled race (I’m thinking perhaps go out and run your own race the same day around a resort and show your strava account as some form of “proof” of distance covered to a race Marshall?)

I’m sure some of you out there have experienced this so any advice I’d be very grateful to hear. Thanks

Hello everyone.

so I’ve been doing a lot more research recently as I’m planning to do my first ever rundisney event in 2021 (the Dopey challenge in January)

so from what I read you get 6 medals if you complete all 4 races. However, I know a few years back there was really bad weather and Disney had to cancel a race (I think it was the 10km, might have been the half?)

so if you are unlucky enough that this happens and you complete the remaining races, do you still get the challenge medals? And is there anyway to still get the medal from the cancelled race (I’m thinking perhaps go out and run your own race the same day around a resort and show your strava account as some form of “proof” of distance covered to a race Marshall?)

I’m sure some of you out there have experienced this so any advice I’d be very grateful to hear. Thanks

I was there for the cancelled 2017 half marathon and was running Dopey, as well. All challenge medals were handed out to the runners who completed the races that were run. They also gave out the half marathon medal to all registered runners with no need to do any additional running. Many runners did go out and run the half marathon "virtually" around the resorts after the weather cleared on Saturday, but that was because they wanted to do it, not because anything was conditional upon it.

I was there for the cancelled 2017 half marathon and was running Dopey, as well. All challenge medals were handed out to the runners who completed the races that were run. They also gave out the half marathon medal to all registered runners with no need to do any additional running. Many runners did go out and run the half marathon "virtually" around the resorts after the weather cleared on Saturday, but that was because they wanted to do it, not because anything was conditional upon it.

so at what point did you receive the medal from the cancelled race. Was posted at a later date or when you collected the challenge medals.

personally I’m hoping nothing gets cancelled, I want the full experience as I have the feeling this might be a once in a lifetime kind of thing for me

so at what point did you receive the medal from the cancelled race. Was posted at a later date or when you collected the challenge medals.

personally I’m hoping nothing gets cancelled, I want the full experience as I have the feeling this might be a once in a lifetime kind of thing for me

I would not worry about races being cancelled. The likelihood is incredibly low. The 2017 half marathon is the only cancelled RunDisney race that I'm aware of. As for the medal, those of us who were running a challenge were given the half marathon medal when we received our challenge medals after completing the marathon. I think runners who weren't running a challenge were given the option to either pick the medal up at the expo Saturday afternoon or have it mailed to them. I'm a little fuzzy on this one since I got mine at the end of the marathon.

I would not worry about races being cancelled. The likelihood is incredibly low. The 2017 half marathon is the only cancelled RunDisney race that I'm aware of. As for the medal, those of us who were running a challenge were given the half marathon medal when we received our challenge medals after completing the marathon. I think runners who weren't running a challenge were given the option to either pick the medal up at the expo Saturday afternoon or have it mailed to them. I'm a little fuzzy on this one since I got mine at the end of the marathon.
Thank you so much for the info Camaker. It’s nice to know that I can still get all 6 medals! Personally, being from the UK, having gone out running in storm Dennis this weekend just gone I’m happy to go with whatever Florida has to offer!!. So fingers crossed for some of the good stuff!!

I think shortening the marathon this year because of the heat provides another example. Anyone who finished the marathon after they cut the course still received the applicable challenge medals even though weather caused them to shorten the course and thereby reduced the "official" number of miles.

For the OP, you shouldn’t worry about not getting a medal for a few reasons, Disney will do its best to make sure you do.

- It is extremely unlikely that they will cancel an event. They have delayed and modified more races. Only the half in 2017 was cancelled outright.
- There is no expectation to “prove” you made up the event. If they choose to alter something that impacts a challenge it is their choice, not yours so you are in the clear. (One exception would be the virtual events like the virtual Kessel Run challenge.)
- Most races will give you your SWAG and medals if they choose to alter the event. This includes Disney but there are a few exceptions from some organizers. Even NYRR gave out the medals from the cancelled NYC marathon years ago.
- Tying into the above comment, Disney makes a huge amount of medals specific to that event. Since there is no real ability to re-use them they need to give them away. (The older medals were an exception to this since they had a standard design with a separate piece fro the year.)
- Disney doesn’t want to mail 20,000 medal to folks so they will try to distribute them at the event. As mentioned, they had the medals at the finish for the full Marathon so any dopey or goofy challenge people just got the medals there.

Good luck with the training, try not to sweat the things that are out of your control and enjoy the races. (And getting up at 3 am for 4 days in a row.)

Wasn't at least one Wine & Dine half cancelled and another one shortened to about 10K? Regardless, they are not the norm and not something I'd worry about OP. If something is cancelled Disney makes sure people get their medals. Heck, even if you get swept they'll give you a medal.

Wasn't at least one Wine & Dine half cancelled and another one shortened to about 10K? Regardless, they are not the norm and not something I'd worry about OP. If something is cancelled Disney makes sure people get their medals. Heck, even if you get swept they'll give you a medal.

I don't think a Wine&Dine half has ever been cancelled. One year they had a storm come through close to race time and they had to shorten the course to about 7 miles due to limbs down and other damage in AK that made that portion of the course unsafe to run.

Wasn't at least one Wine & Dine half cancelled and another one shortened to about 10K?

No. W&D 2015 simply became “half of a half” because of the storm. Nothing was cancelled. (And no challenge medal
Issues happened because they didn’t have the challenge until it came back as a morning race the following year)

January Half 2017 was cancelled. That’s the only one cancelled, as the person you responded to said. They still gave the challenge medals.

So it’s not worth worrying about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts