Baked Lentils (Very good and healthy)

Kermit

New Mama to Baby Jacob!
I know a lot of people aren't familiar with lentils, but if you like beans, lentils are great. They cook fast, they're a little healthier than beans since they have all the fiber plus some extra vitamins, and they're extremely cheap. You can get a 1 pound bag for around 35 cents.

1 lb lentils
chopped cooked pork (ham or bacon are best, I like about 1/4 cup honey baked ham, but if you like bacon, 2 or 3 strips would be good)
1 to 2 bouillon cubes, vegetable or chicken
1/4 cup each ketchup, mustard, molasses, and brown sugar

Rinse lentils and put in large saucepan or Dutch oven with 5 cups water. Also add meat and bouillon. (You don't have to soak lentils before cooking like other kinds of beans.) Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. If water starts to cook too low, add very hot tap water, about 1/2 cup at a time.

Heat oven to 350. If saucepan and lid are oven-proof, stir in remaining ingredients plus about 3/4 cup hot water. (If there is a lot of liquid still in there, leave this out. Water level doesn't get much lower while baking.) Otherwise, pour mixture into a 11 X 7 and 13 X 9 pan. Cover tightly and bake about an hour.

These beans are sooo good, especially after they've been refrigerated over night. I like to ladle them into freezer bags and then put a bag in the fridge at night, dump the contents into a microwavable container in the morning, and then warm them in the microwave at lunch. Eat them with nuts or a complex carbohydrate (whole grain bread, rice, etc) for a complete protein.

I like to throw a handful in homed soup or stew!! They make the meat taste heartier. and I don't have to use as much meat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter