Balcony and 2 year old?

Hillbeans

I told them I like Michael Bolton
We're staying at the AKL for a portion of our stay in Disney. I guess i'm just a little nervous about the balcony. I'm sure the slats on the balcony are close, and my 2 year old son isn't a big "climber" but i'm just wondering what any of you have done with your kids about letting them out on the balcony (supervised, of course!)

I understand your concern! My DS was 2 when we stayed at a high rise oceanfront condo one year. The balcony was safe as far as the railing spacing went I guess but I made him hold my hand or sit on my lap anytime we were out there. We just did not use it a lot that trip becasue I worried. We did leave our curtains open and look out with the door closed and LOCKED a lot. I am sure he will be fine just watch him when he is out there and check the balcony door closely.

Jordan's mom

Thanks Disneypro and Jordan's mom. I'm not a worrywart normally, but I have an irrational fear of him falling off of a balcony, etc. I hate to admit it, but i'm also afraid of taking the disney cruise in fear of him falling overboard from the railings.

Not sure where this fear comes from but I guess it's never bad to be a little overprotective.

-HB

We stayed at AKL in august and we had 2 year old twins. The Balconys themselves are safe, however do not forget there are animals out there>....That they really want to see. so they will be more inclined to climb to get a better view. First of all the little table that is out there.... put it in the room first thing. Mine tried to use it as some kind of step stool. They were only allowed out there with an adult and were not allowed to stand on the chair. That being said at that point they could not unlock the door, at this point 2 and a half. they can unlock and open everything.....We purchased for around ten dollars, I believe from Walter Drake? A mini alarm that you attach to the slider, we will be in a villa with at least 2 balconys so we have one for each door. That way if they start fooling with the door I will know in an instant. I don't know how much of a Houdini your guy is, But for your sanity it may be worth the extra layer of vigilance. Good luck.

Hillbeans - I have that fear about the cruise ship too and my 2yo! I'm more alright with the balcony though, of course I was out there at anytime she was. The slats are close together that they can't fit through, but I was worried about climbing. We also moved the little table inside b/c she started to make that her step stool right away.

Watch out for the birds and your food on the balconies! DH and DD were inside and I was having a snack and reading on the balcony when I came in to grab something and bird swooped down and took off with a portion of my snack!!!!! After that we didn't eat anything on the balcony.

It's not just me then??? I am absolutely paranoid about balconys and my dd is 5!

I agree there is no worrys about the railings, but the table and chairs scare me a lot, so we moved those inside.
We were on a lower floor at AKL, and we had quite a good view from inside, so I kept the door closed most of the time, I was just more comfortable that way.

Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter