Beginner question..help..

bsjs0708

DIS Veteran
Ok, so DH had a simple point and shoot Nikon which he passed down to our grandson.
He really wants to go to the next level and start experimenting with HD. I would love to gift him his next camera but I have no idea where to start...any and all advice is welcomed. ..thanks in advance,Julie..

Most importantly, what is your budget? And is there a time constraint (do you need it right away)? Lastly, what is more relevant to you/him - video or snapshots?

Most importantly, what is your budget? And is there a time constraint (do you need it right away)? Lastly, what is more relevant to you/him - video or snapshots?
Budget is gonna be around 2000.00..and really, his focus is snapshots... Not in any big rush . Thanks. .

Here would be my first suggestion.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-M...8&qid=1546567486&sr=8-5&keywords=sony+a7&th=1

This Sony a7II is an EXCELLENT choice. It is a "mirrorless" camera so has the benefit of not being a large and bulky DSLR. But it delivers great results. Depending on the source, the a7 could be considered one of the top cameras currently available (it is pretty much the most purchased camera right now).

Maybe add a zoom lens for extra reach:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-55-210m...&qid=1546568228&sr=8-20&keywords=sony+a7+lens

Through in 2-3 memory cards, a couple of extra batteries and a small bag, you're probably looking at around $1,500. There are other lens combos you could go with too. But I do recommend more than one battery and memory card.

Oh wow ..Thank you so much! You just saved me hours of research! I really appreciate it ! I'm probably gonna get the zoom as well!

This is totally a novice question and may be obvious , will he need anything special like a filter for the HD effect ?

He will also need software to create HDR from the 3/5/7 images. Aurora/Photomatix/other...

Bob, are you doing the wisper upgrades to the current monorail set. I would like to have that done but I haven’t been able to figure out how to message you directly to order such an upgrade.

Thanks

Just FYI - there are two ways to do 'HDR' style multiple-frame stacking imaging...as Bob mentioned, taking multiple exposures and stacking them together in software is how most do it, but SOME cameras actually offer an in-camera, automatically stacking version that can be used handheld - it's a good starter way to get into HDR, or even a good way to use it at a high level once you get to know it. The camera can take 3-5 shots all at once, handheld, then automatically align the frames and stack them with up to a 6 exposure value variance, and output a finished JPG HDR with no post processing required. Sony is one manufacturer that includes this on all of their cameras...a few others do as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!