Being a Disney Fan and Single...not easy!

You know what? I believe you nailed it on the head! Very well written. It's a rather pathetic time for socializing, we live in now...
I couldn't agree more. Although social media makes it easier to stay in touch with people that are further distance apart, it has it's draw backs when trying to interact with people face to face. Many people have difficulty expressing themselves face to face but have no problem expressing themselves through social media.

I couldn't agree more. Although social media makes it easier to stay in touch with people that are further distance apart, it has it's draw backs when trying to interact with people face to face. Many people have difficulty expressing themselves face to face but have no problem expressing themselves through social media.

And some people express themselves too much on social media.

I too have been turned away from men as soon as I tell them I love going to Disney World. It's their loss!!!!
Although, I do plan to work at Disney as a retirement job....... so it is pretty important that my S/O at least like it :)
I successfully raised 2 Disney kids! (Now 19 and 20) So I have traveling buddies :)

I too have been turned away from men as soon as I tell them I love going to Disney World. It's their loss!!!!
Although, I do plan to work at Disney as a retirement job....... so it is pretty important that my S/O at least like it :)
I successfully raised 2 Disney kids! (Now 19 and 20) So I have traveling buddies :)

Lol. That is one way to look at it.

Chiming in as a married Disney fanatic. DH isn't into Disney. I can get him there maybe once a year for F&W, and maybe once to Disneyland for a quick visit. He was raised in Europe in the 60s so he didn't have the Disney childhood I had. But he's fine with me going solo, so that's what I do. I have done Tokyo and Paris on my own as well, and boy were those tough as a solo. Nobody wants to talk to you! Normally, I make temporary friends in queues, or at a restaurant or bar, chatting about our trips, imparting tips, etc. Not overseas! Everyone is so afraid of airing their (to them) poor English.
I joke to DH that if he dies first, I am going to get me a Disney-lovin' second husband, because his (my current husband's) Disney-apathy is his only flaw.

Chiming in as a married Disney fanatic. DH isn't into Disney. I can get him there maybe once a year for F&W, and maybe once to Disneyland for a quick visit. He was raised in Europe in the 60s so he didn't have the Disney childhood I had. But he's fine with me going solo, so that's what I do. I have done Tokyo and Paris on my own as well, and boy were those tough as a solo. Nobody wants to talk to you! Normally, I make temporary friends in queues, or at a restaurant or bar, chatting about our trips, imparting tips, etc. Not overseas! Everyone is so afraid of airing their (to them) poor English.
I joke to DH that if he dies first, I am going to get me a Disney-lovin' second husband, because his (my current husband's) Disney-apathy is his only flaw.

Some of us born after Disney opened didn't really get to go to the parks either, and the memories of it, or lack thereof, definitely make a difference. Disneyland Paris is definitely on my list, especially once I brush up on my French a little(I think in it, but it hasn't fully translated to actual words yet.......I do curse at people in Italian though, not that it helps any).

So some people are going to "get it" and others aren't. Just like anything in life right? I've had similar experiences though I don't think I've ever had a date lose interest because of Disney. Typically when they act confused about why I love it so much, I try to discuss things that they might relate more to. So the first thing I mention is Drinking Around The World and the Food & Wine Festival. Typically even the most anti Disney folks would be a little more willing to consider it after you discuss those events.

I'd love to find someone who loves Disney as much as I do (or more). I've met a lot of wonderful people who do and have several long distance friends who are more into it than me, so I know they are out there. But it's hard enough trying to find a decent guy I can get along well with, much less one that also likes Disney. It's funny though, I have a good friend who has visited me in every place I have ever lived, but when I interned at Disney a few years back, he refused to come because he couldn't stand the thought of being dragged around a "kiddie park." I tried to convince him that there's more than just kid stuff there but he didn't believe me. Luckily, this didn't ruin our friendship. ;)

I'd love to find someone who loves Disney as much as I do (or more). I've met a lot of wonderful people who do and have several long distance friends who are more into it than me, so I know they are out there. But it's hard enough trying to find a decent guy I can get along well with, much less one that also likes Disney. It's funny though, I have a good friend who has visited me in every place I have ever lived, but when I interned at Disney a few years back, he refused to come because he couldn't stand the thought of being dragged around a "kiddie park." I tried to convince him that there's more than just kid stuff there but he didn't believe me. Luckily, this didn't ruin our friendship. ;)

Lol. The irony is Disney marketed themselves to families so well that they can't change that image no matter how much they try.

Lol. The irony is Disney marketed themselves to families so well that they can't change that image no matter how much they try.
Recently watched their 2017 planning video, it was hardcore targeted towards families with kids. They spent a lot of time showing children and highlighting special activities for them. Honestly, I think part of that is many of the little opt-in activities/upgrades (re: more $$ for Disney) come from families. :confused3 It is what it is. If viewing that and the commercials was my only exposure I'd feel dumb going as an adult too. Branding matters.

Recently watched their 2017 planning video, it was hardcore targeted towards families with kids. They spent a lot of time showing children and highlighting special activities for them. Honestly, I think part of that is many of the little opt-in activities/upgrades (re: more $$ for Disney) come from families. :confused3 It is what it is. If viewing that and the commercials was my only exposure I'd feel dumb going as an adult too. Branding matters.

Funny thing is their line to travel agents is something for everyone. I remember the training I took with them.

Disney does have a few different target audiences (so there is something for everyone) but most of those targets mainly involve young families and multi-generational families (grandparents, parents, kids). They are the ultimate family brand.

I agree...I get this "kiddie" thing all the time from my friends. So what if I am male and love Disney and go 4-5 times a year? The Kid comment always comes from people who visit the same beach year after year...sounds about the same to me. You like what you like!

I agree...I get this "kiddie" thing all the time from my friends. So what if I am male and love Disney and go 4-5 times a year? The Kid comment always comes from people who visit the same beach year after year...sounds about the same to me. You like what you like!

Everyone in my town goes to either Myrtle Beach or Gatlinburg, TN every year, so I get that one.

Going 4-5 times a year is my dream, and I cannot imagine visiting the same beach year after year. I use this comparison when people give me grief for enjoying taking a Disney vacation every other year. "You don't tire of going to Ocean City every weekend! How is it any different?"

Going 4-5 times a year is my dream, and I cannot imagine visiting the same beach year after year. I use this comparison when people give me grief for enjoying taking a Disney vacation every other year. "You don't tire of going to Ocean City every weekend! How is it any different?"

I'm all for a beach myself, but want a mixture of experiences. Besides, most American beaches pale in comparison to those in places like the Caribbean, Mediterranean, and Asia.

I think the fact that each trip is significantly different when you go to WDW that helps keep things interesting. I try new resorts, attractions, dining, etc. There is always something new!

I have a friend who is a pretty huge Disney fanatic. She got married last summer in WDW. I will say that from observing her relationship, and from my own experience in marriage, you can't expect someone to share 100% of your interests. But you should expect them to respect your interests and listen. (It sounds like that may be where you are running into problems). Her husband will go to Disney with her and enjoy it on his own level. He doesn't enjoy it on the same level as she does, but that's okay. But you know she started playing Magic the Gathering with him because that's something he was interested in. And now she has learned to enjoy that, though it's beyond me. . .

My husband, before we got married, hated amusement parks. That was almost a deal breaker for me, but I let that go. But you know, over time, as his love for me grew, he started to enjoy amusement parks and roller coasters. And now he's more than willing to go to Disney with me in the fall and is excited about it. When you get to know someone and love them, you will change naturally. I did not need him to change that about himself for me to be happy with our relationship, but it happened on its own. Maybe you'll have the same experience?

I have a friend who is a pretty huge Disney fanatic. She got married last summer in WDW. I will say that from observing her relationship, and from my own experience in marriage, you can't expect someone to share 100% of your interests. But you should expect them to respect your interests and listen. (It sounds like that may be where you are running into problems). Her husband will go to Disney with her and enjoy it on his own level. He doesn't enjoy it on the same level as she does, but that's okay. But you know she started playing Magic the Gathering with him because that's something he was interested in. And now she has learned to enjoy that, though it's beyond me. . .

My husband, before we got married, hated amusement parks. That was almost a deal breaker for me, but I let that go. But you know, over time, as his love for me grew, he started to enjoy amusement parks and roller coasters. And now he's more than willing to go to Disney with me in the fall and is excited about it. When you get to know someone and love them, you will change naturally. I did not need him to change that about himself for me to be happy with our relationship, but it happened on its own. Maybe you'll have the same experience?

Magic....good times. Remember playing that in my youth.

I'm a Disney fan and single and I've met some great people on Disney Cruises, in the parks and at runDisney events. Most of these people I've met remain friends and we occasionally will meet up at the parks or just for dinner someplace. However I met this one single woman at WDW during a runDisney event and we hit it off. We have spent a lot of time together sharing our love for Disney at the parks (both WDW and DLR) and on a Disney Cruise but only as friends which is okay with me. She lives in Florida and I live in California and neither of us is interested in a long distance relationship but I am very happy to have her as a good friend that I can geek out with when it comes to all things Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter