Being from a no fun state

dclpluto

DIS Veteran
I have got some things done since I’m from a no fun state since covid. Usually spend lots on entertainment. Got new shed
Twice I got trees cut down. 6 k dollars of trees getting cut down. Paid off a credit card. When I was young and dumb planted way too many trees. What have you gotten done if your in a no fun state like myself and can’t spend money on entertainment? I’m from New Jersey. I’m ready for some entertainment.

What have you gotten done if your in a no fun state like myself and can’t spend money on entertainment? I’m from New Jersey. I’m ready for some entertainment.

My discretionary spending "vices" have always been travel and entertainment (theatre and comedy). I've been very fortunate that my full-time job has remained business as usual with the exception of a shift to 100% work-from-home. My side gig is performing in an improv group, and we were able to move our weekly shows over to online via zoom until we feel it's safe to return to performing in our physical space.

So, for entertainment, I've been looking for other live online performances -- mostly staged readings of plays in zoom or streamyard, but I just got a ticket to Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood's zoom show in a couple of weeks so I look forward to seeing how well they work in that format. Via a friend, I found an interactive comedy competition show, and I have fun with that as well. And now I'm starting to see that many performance groups have begun offering workshops and classes online, so I've been seeking out opportunities to boost my improv skills from reputable instructors that are out of my geographic area. For example, this weekend I'm taking the intro workshop from Freestyle Love Supreme Academy.

Finally replacing a 25 year old fence that is in very sad shape. New kitchen faucet installed (no more bailing out a basin underneath the sink!) and a new sectional couch. ( I used to go to Disney 3X a year.)

Pretty happy these things are happening.

We got an above-ground pool and a hammock for the backyard this summer. But still working full-time from home so I haven’t had much extra time for projects. However, i have spent $$$ on Legos since this all started; it keeps DD occupied for hours which allows me uninterrupted work time.

Home state is California but in the part that is currently "No Fun" that is spiking and on the watch list.

Redid our cracked concrete driveway with pavers, poured a concrete slab in backyard and set up two tuff sheds for storage, and currently remodeling both our bathrooms. If we're staying home for the next year (or so), we might as well spruce up the old homestead. 🏡:flower1:8-)

We have been hiking in our parks which we had never done pre-covid, so that’s something we hope to keep in our lives when things are back to normal. Though lately it’s been too hot!

Updated our detached garage into a proper “man cave.” Ripped up the carpet, epoxy the floor, put two TVs, put in a handmade bar, bar stools, recliner sofa. I may never see my SO again. Lol

We call it the man cave but it’s a really Nice space to have for when we have parties or get togethers. Our home is a smaller rancher so it works out.

I'm not sure what a "no fun" state means..... every state I've visited,has some enjoyment therein....:confused3 I mean, Jersey? Don't you have a giant shoreline you can visit, and plenty of wilder/less crowded places to daytrip and see the natural beauty? hikes, parts of the shoreline that aren't crowded...etc. My own state has some outdoor places that I love to visit...hikes, lakes,even some beach areas (not on weekends tho)

Painted family room, dining room and formal living room. Got new chandelier in dining room. Purchased new sectional, area rug, curtains and end tables for the family room. In process of getting tables refinished (end tables, coffee table, side board). Two are just finished and will pick up this weeks. Can't wait to see how they turned out.

I'm not sure what a "no fun" state means..... every state I've visited,has some enjoyment therein....:confused3 I mean, Jersey? Don't you have a giant shoreline you can visit, and plenty of wilder/less crowded places to daytrip and see the natural beauty? hikes, parts of the shoreline that aren't crowded...etc. My own state has some outdoor places that I love to visit...hikes, lakes,even some beach areas (not on weekends tho)
I think the OP was referring to restrictions, we can’t eat in restaurants or go to bars, I believe movie theaters and bowling alleys are still closed, but yes, beaches and parks are open.

a no fun state means you can’t go anywhere and have fun. Can’t go to Florida. 14 day quarantine when you get to Florida. There’s like 34 states once you get back there’s a 14 day advisory on quarantine. Have you ever been to the New Jersey shores? They suck. At least the ones I have been to. Wildwood, ocean city, Atlantic City, Avalon, and a few more down that way. Don’t know if they have any good ones or not central or north. Heard there’s a good Nudist beach up north.

There's a ton of places in NJ for day trips, try going to Deep Cut Gardens in Monmouth County for a picnic, try downtown Red Bank for a shopping day, head to Bay Head, Belmar, Point Pleasant, Sea Bright for a beach day, head to Cape May for a shopping/beach/lighthouse trip, go tubing down the Delaware River, go on a safari drive at Great Adventure, find a temp drive-in movie (they are all over now), go peach picking at the many orchards around NJ and when all else fails, order take-out and Netflix binge or eat outside at one of the many restaurants that offer outdoor dining.

I get being stuck inside and the restrictions on restaurants, stores, etc... but there's a ton of things (entertainment-wise) to do in NJ otherwise. Also while we can't go to Florida just yet, we're working on saving that extra money, now that our Disney trip was cancelled this year, we can save up for an even bigger trip next year.

Last edited:
a no fun state means you can’t go anywhere and have fun. Can’t go to Florida. 14 day quarantine when you get to Florida. There’s like 34 states once you get back there’s a 14 day advisory on quarantine. Have you ever been to the New Jersey shores? They suck. At least the ones I have been to. Wildwood, ocean city, Atlantic City, Avalon, and a few more down that way. Don’t know if they have any good ones or not central or north. Heard there’s a good Nudist beach up north.

Fun is in the eye of the beholder. There are still 14 states we can currently travel to which include Wyoming, New York, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Maine, so plenty of gorgeous places to visit. Also, we can eat at restaurants, you just need to eat outside.

As far as beaches are concerned, Island Beach State Park is my favorite in the state.

My Covid-19 related purchase has been a mountain bike to take along on all the road trips I'm now taking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts