Best Books on Disney Parks?

alievans719

Mouseketeer
I really want to find some good books that are on the construction and creation of the Disney Parks, particularly Disneyland and WDW. Any suggestions? I have read some stuff on Walt's life, but I was looking for basically books that walk through the entire creation of the park and maybe some hidden stuff or secrets kinda built in? I'm sure they're out there, but I just don't know which ones would be the best. Thanks!

Now that I would buy! Especially about Animal Kingdom, it would minimize the itch I get while not there haha.

If you're looking for a "creation" story about Disneyland, Len Testa and Jim Hill have an absolutely fascinating podcast series going on. The podcast is called "The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill and Len Testa". Due to it being Disneyland's 60th anniversary, all year long they are doing a chronology of Disneyland's history. From inception to current day. They are breaking it down into 5 year segments, so by the end of the year they would have covered all 60 years.

It's truly amazing stuff. The stories Jim finds are unbelieveable. I can't recommend it enough.

(I know you were looking for a book but this podcast is definitely worth a listen).

Found The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World by Susan Veness on Scribd but not the updated version, I contacted them to see if we can get the updated one. It seems pretty cool and has tons of hidden and cool info from the parks.
Went earlier to B&N to find a Animal Kingdom Imagineer book that was supposedly in stock but no where to be found haha.

Just ordered "The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World" 2nd edition. Looks like an interesting book.

Here are some to books to consider:
Overall parks:
Designing Disneys Theme Parks the architecture of reassurance
Designing Disney (Hench)
DL:
The Disneyland Story (Gennaway)
The Imagineering Field Guide
Disneyland theNickel tour is one of those holy grail nooks that's crazy expensive on eBay
WDW:
Walt and Promise of Progress City (Genneway)
Four Decades of Magic (Emerson)
Imagineering Field guides for all four parks
Imagineers perspective:
Bob Gurr: Design Just for Fun
Harriet Burns: Walt Disneys first lady of Imagineering
Walt Disneys imagineerimg legends (Kurtti)
And, of course, Walt Disney Imagineering by the imagineers

You should try Realityland by David Koenig...lots of insights into the building of WDW. I especially love the story about executives helping to lay the lawn at the Contemporary the day before opening!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter