Best days to take "mental health" days from work?

What are the best day combination for taking two mental health days off from work?

• Friday and Monday

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • Thursday and Friday

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
I have the opportunity to take 2 much needed mental health days from work.

I'm not planning to travel anywhere. Just planning to relax, get a pedicure, haircut, maybe take myself out to breakfast or the movies, relax, relax :)

If you had the choice, would you take:
1) Friday and Monday
2) Thursday and Friday

Thanks!

For me, it would depend on what else is happening those weeks-personally and at work.

Monday is usually my busiest day. Thurs and Friday are not as hectic.

Friday and Monday would make two short work weeks as someone said which would be awesome.
However, for me, Monday is my busiest day at work, so I’d be stressed Tuesday when I came back and worried about it over my long weekend, so mentally, the best choice would be Thursday & Friday....

It just depends on what your days are like personally.

I like Fridays and Mondays off- when I was in my last year at work before I retired I had so many sick and personal days to burn up I took off Friday and Monday every week for 5 months!

Is a "mental health" day just a vacation day that you're taking and staying home relaxing....or do people actually call in like they are sick and take a "mental health" day?

Friday and Monday! As others have mentioned—that makes two short work weeks.

I used to do this when we were slow at work and just working 4 days a week. 1/2 the Department was off Fridays & the other 1/2 Mondays. My coworker & I would request Friday off one week, Monday the next, and then we’d use the 4-day weekend to go fishing in Tennessee:)

Sorry, I know it wasn't an option in your poll but I would take a Monday and Tuesday off. I would love knowing I didn't have to start my work week until Wednesday and three days later it's the weekend!!

Of course maybe it would depend on what kind of job you have. ;)

Personally I like Tuesday & Wednesday, I feel like fewer people take those days so the stores and such aren’t as crowded. If I’m trying to get some things done Nails, hair, whatever.

But I voted Thursday Friday, I’m actually taking this Thursday Friday. I have stuff planned but not crazy busy.

Last edited:
Is a "mental health" day just a vacation day that you're taking and staying home relaxing....or do people actually call in like they are sick and take a "mental health" day?

I would call off whenever I felt like I wanted/needed a day to myself- didn't really matter- not like my job couldn't be done by someone else if I was not there.

I would vote none if given that option. But I only get 6 sick days. I burned up a bunch a few years back caring for my elderly mother. Used one last week for my wife having a medical procedure. And when my adult kids weren't yet adults, I burned up a few with their health issues.
I just have worked with too many people that used sick time for mental health days early in the year, then got sick near the end of the year and were out of sick time, and had used up all their vacation time. They came up with a "make up day" policy 2 years ago to allow staff to work a 6th day to make up for a day taken as sick when they had no sick or vacation time left, so it must have been enough of an issue that they had to come up with that policy.

If you want a long weekend, I would take Friday and Monday. Like others have said, that gives you two short weeks.

But for me, I would take Wednesday and Wednesday. That would give me two short weeks, but also really break up those weeks.

Since you aren't going anywhere, why make it a long weekend?

I am more of a Thursday-Friday person myself. Because of the nature of my job, Mondays are the day that if I miss it, I am sort of behind/out of sync for the rest of the week.

Although it is a bit depressing to come back on a Monday after having several days off, it is better than the feeling of coming back on Tuesday. It is different if a holiday falls on a Monday of course, as all of the Monday things get pushed to Tuesday in that case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter