Best DCL solo tips?

ajlsjl

Mouseketeer
I'm giving thought to doing my first DCL solo trip, most likely next fall (fall 2019). I've been to WDW many times solo, but I've never been on a cruise solo. Can you give me your best solo DCL trips? Must do's? Things to stay away from? My biggest concern is the dining situation; I'm uncomfortable dining alone, so dinners concern me. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

To me, dining alone as a solo is one of the best things. They will still put you at a table with others if you really want that...I did not have a great experience when they did it to me as it was more of a "solo dump" table. But I live alone and am used to eating there and dining out solo. (Fun fact: NO ONE is looking at you. They're focused on themselves!) I found my servers were amazing and treated me just like anyone else. I had my nook with me, but I found that other than the first night before I escaped the solo dump table I never needed it.

Palo in particular was incredible. I really felt like a princess doing dinner and brunch there.

I suppose you could limit yourself to the buffet and the pool deck places, but there really is no reason to as again, no one is looking at you!! And if they are being judgy, that says so much more about them than you.

Excursion-wise, I tend towards ship-based excursions and never had any issues being solo. Plenty of parties split up and do different ones it's not a big deal. I do avoid things like ATVs, kayaking or parasailing simply because it seems that those you do end up paired with someone else and that is just awkward.

But I love cruising solo. Best way to travel IMHO!

I'm giving thought to doing my first DCL solo trip, most likely next fall (fall 2019). I've been to WDW many times solo, but I've never been on a cruise solo. Can you give me your best solo DCL trips? Must do's? Things to stay away from? My biggest concern is the dining situation; I'm uncomfortable dining alone, so dinners concern me. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've done one solo DCL cruise. I was placed at a dinner table with another solo cruiser. There were actually supposed to be another 4 people at our table, one couple and two other solo cruisers. But only two of us ever showed up for dinner. It was fine because the guy that did show up was fun to talk to and I really enjoyed our dinners.

You can join a meet group before your cruise. There are meet groups here on the DIS, but there are also meet groups on another large social networking site which cannot be mentioned here.

As for must dos, that can really be a personal preference. For me, I purchased passes for the Rainforest Room in the spa and spent a lot of time there relaxing. Serenity Bay on CC was wonderful. My solo cruise is the only time I've been able to enjoy Serenity Bay and I really wish I could get back there sometime. I also did a mixology class and a wine tasting.

I’m going to be doing my 5th solo Disney Cruise this September and can’t wait! I’ve always been fortunate with my table mates, mostly couples around my age, and once, another solo cruiser. Every time, everyone embraced my decision to go solo and I’ve made a few lasting friendships along the way. I’ve always chosen first seating Dining just because 8p is too late for my preference.

The Rainforest pass is definitely the way to go and is a great place to go to relax. As another poster mentioned, the mixology classes and tastings are a really fun way to meet people and I’ve booked at least one on each cruise and had a blast. I’ve done plenty of cruises with friends and family, but I honestly appreciate my solo cruises more. You can do what you want, when you want and I always come back feeling more refreshed and relaxed than when I travel with others. The only obvious downside is the 200% occupancy rate.
And trust me. Nobody onboard is even aware that you’re traveling solo unless you tell them and nobody cares, either . Everybody is focused on making the best of their vacations and you won’t be out of place as a single adult since many parents can’t pry their kids out of the clubs and are out and about enjoying themselves too. You’ll have a blast, I definitely recommend going solo.

I am doing the West Bound Transatlantic cruise in September from Dover, England to NYC as a solo and am really looking forward to it. I am an ambivert but very much love spending time alone or alone in my own head? Hard to be alone with 2400 other guests! Was only planning to go to dinner in the main dining room the first night and then eat at Cabanas the rest of the time for dinner. Even when cruising with family, the main dining room meals simply took too long for me. I might change my mind but that's the plan.

I seldom book the shore excursions and prefer to look around on my own. The 'solo dump' table sounds like fun? In some venues it's called the Captain's Table and I have had some great conversations with people I don't know. I guess it depends on who shows up? But that seems better than being put with the MouseFun family and their 3 kids? I mean WHO IS THIS LADY???

Bringing some books and downloading some movies onto my iPad and just want to watch the world go by. LOVE IntricateJewel's comment about coming back refreshed. That's MY plan!!! Thanks for starting this thread. I do look forward to 'doing my own thing'!

I am doing the West Bound Transatlantic cruise in September from Dover, England to NYC as a solo and am really looking forward to it. I am an ambivert but very much love spending time alone or alone in my own head? Hard to be alone with 2400 other guests! Was only planning to go to dinner in the main dining room the first night and then eat at Cabanas the rest of the time for dinner. Even when cruising with family, the main dining room meals simply took too long for me. I might change my mind but that's the plan.

I seldom book the shore excursions and prefer to look around on my own. The 'solo dump' table sounds like fun? In some venues it's called the Captain's Table and I have had some great conversations with people I don't know. I guess it depends on who shows up? But that seems better than being put with the MouseFun family and their 3 kids? I mean WHO IS THIS LADY???

Bringing some books and downloading some movies onto my iPad and just want to watch the world go by. LOVE IntricateJewel's comment about coming back refreshed. That's MY plan!!! Thanks for starting this thread. I do look forward to 'doing my own thing'!

No, the solo dump was NOT the Captain's Table. It was a table where they put all the solo travelers. At least I could have talked with the Captain or other Officers about things. The two solo guys were like twins separated at birth and once they discovered all their common interests they made no effort to see what my interests were or even attempt to include me in their conversation.

I learned from that I just continue to request a private table, and from now on I'm going to check at the dining changes location when I board to make sure it was done - or change whatever I have to so it can be.

OH! You really CAN request a private table just for one person? Wow! Oh that would be perfect. Do I just call DCL to request? Seriously, I would bring a book and be a happy clam. I don't really want to HAVE to make conversation, although I can.

I am older now and I do believe if I was with the Boy Twins I would say "I won't be eating here again because the two of you are SO very rude!"

Took a cross country train a couple of years ago from Chicago to Seattle and Amtrak always seats you with people you don't know - mostly due to space - and it was hit or miss. One night was the same, no one even talked to me (4 people per table) but at breakfast the next day I was with two guys (also solo travelers) from Australia and we talked until they finally had to set the table up for lunch. A WONDERFUL still memorable conversation. Guess you never know.

Thanks for the tip!

Yes! You can request it! Given that I had on the Boy Twins trip, as I said, I will be visiting the Dining Changes area (which I need to do anyway to make sure that they have gluten-free marked down).

I had Palo the second night. The third I had thought I'd just go to Cabanas but it was like they took all my least favorite menu items and combined them, so I went to my assigned MDR (during 1st seating since I had 2nd) and spoke with a manager and she said to check in at the desk and they would get me moved. I was in the same Head Server's section but had new servers (DCL did the gratuity division for me - I added onto my new servers' to make up the 2 nights I didn't have them) - but it was great. And my Head Server checked in with me that night and I said "Please tell [my servers] it was not them..." and he laughed and said "Oh, we all saw this one coming by entrees on the first night."

Thanks for asking the question, and I've been interested in all the replies. I've started thinking about a solo cruise in the winter. I love Disney trips solo so I guess a cruise isn't so very different. Dinner was also my primary concern. Even going with my husband and sitting with other couples, depending upon chemistry conversation can become more difficult by the third or fourth night.

I mostly travel solo and love it. I supposed it's a bit selfish but it's so wonderful to do just what you want when you want. If the museum exhibit is boring to you, you can leave? If you want to just sit at Pret A Manger for 3 hours and read a book, you don't have to apologize to anyone. Nap in the afternoon? Why not?

Here's a question for solo travelers. Are you going solo because you simply want to de stress? Or you can't find anyone 'good' to go with? I learned long ago when Jean Koldys dropped out of our trip to Scotland in high school that you can't sit around waiting for someone to go with. I'm GLAD now she didn't come! It was the BEST TRIP EVER!!!

I am single and frankly if I waited for most my friends to make up their minds about doing something I would never go anywhere.

I am going on the RCCL Greek Isles cruise with a friend, but we talked a lot about it before we talked with my TA and got her added on. We set up some "ground rules" - like we *can* do things together, but we don't have to. In Rome, she's going to the Vatican on Saturday morning while I'm doing the Domus Aurea since I've BTDT and no need to go again to the Vatican - but we're meeting up for the Colosseum tour in the afternoon. While on the cruise we are doing mostly the same excursions but that's because those are what we were most interested in - and we weren't going to be like "No, you can't do that one because I want to". In Santorini we are doing different ones. It will be my first time traveling with someone (not in a group situation), so we'll see how it goes.

I'm so happy to read this thread. I've never cruised solo (can't get over the cost) but I travel solo A LOT and share many of the same sentiments about freedom, flexibility, and not putting your life on hold waiting for others to get with the program. Glad to know it's not just me!

Answering the question . . which DCL cruises are best for solo travelers, I have to say the repositioning cruises are they are more bang for your single buck. But that's true of every cruise line. The 11 night Dover to NYC cruise is costing less than a 4 night Caribbean cruise. Also, NCL has "studio" cabins for solo travelers as does Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Cunard, and P&O. Very limited and very popular and not always 1/2 price of a 'normal' cabin but still worth looking in to. With the Magic and the Wonder being smaller ships, that might also be a tipping point for me. 1600 less passengers can make a difference!

I’ve cruised solo and love it. I really enjoy the longer cruises solo as you can really relax.
The first time I met some other solos in advance through FB and we requested a table together. Another time I was in a table of three solo dump and it was fantastic and we never stopped laughing the whole time.
Another time again it was a combo solo dump and two couples but one of the solo persons was the friend of one of the cast members in the show who played one of the leads in the Golden Mickeys, so that was fabulous!
Ive been lucky I guess. However, I wouldn’t hesitate to ask to be moved if the situation was awkward.

Answering the question . . which DCL cruises are best for solo travelers, I have to say the repositioning cruises are they are more bang for your single buck. But that's true of every cruise line. The 11 night Dover to NYC cruise is costing less than a 4 night Caribbean cruise. Also, NCL has "studio" cabins for solo travelers as does Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Cunard, and P&O. Very limited and very popular and not always 1/2 price of a 'normal' cabin but still worth looking in to. With the Magic and the Wonder being smaller ships, that might also be a tipping point for me. 1600 less passengers can make a difference!

Disney is currently offering 25% off select 7-night cruises in August and September this year for guaranteed inside, verandah categories.

I haven't sailed on DCL solo as of yet, but I am a huge fan of the classic ships for the reason that you mentioned :)

I cruised solo on the Fantasy (room 10156 - so worth the $$) and have another solo cruise booked on Dream in October and am just way too excited!! I'm used to traveling alone, so I handle solo cruising the same way I do solo WDW. I never wear or bring expensive jewelry, especially at the port locations (don't need to bring that kind of attention) and just make sure I'm confident in my surroundings. The other plus is that I had the same servers & cabin person, so it was nice them keeping an eye out for me. Loved relaxing on either Adult only deck in the morning, then ate and got some relaxing time on the over-sized balcony. Hit a few of the bars at night, as well as did some of the trivia contests. When I cruised on the Fantasy, I requested a table alone ahead of time, as I'm not a big fan of sitting with other families (way too awkward for me). My servers were FANTASTIC and spent extra quality time with me, but not in a hovering or annoying way.

I cruised solo on the Fantasy (room 10156 - so worth the $$) and have another solo cruise booked on Dream in October and am just way too excited!! I'm used to traveling alone, so I handle solo cruising the same way I do solo WDW. I never wear or bring expensive jewelry, especially at the port locations (don't need to bring that kind of attention) and just make sure I'm confident in my surroundings. The other plus is that I had the same servers & cabin person, so it was nice them keeping an eye out for me. Loved relaxing on either Adult only deck in the morning, then ate and got some relaxing time on the over-sized balcony. Hit a few of the bars at night, as well as did some of the trivia contests. When I cruised on the Fantasy, I requested a table alone ahead of time, as I'm not a big fan of sitting with other families (way too awkward for me). My servers were FANTASTIC and spent extra quality time with me, but not in a hovering or annoying way. Although I liked the Disney Wonder, I LOVED the Disney Fantasy & am excited for the Disney Dream!!

I am travelling with my young teen daughter but she will probably be ditching me for the Edge. Did you sign up for the PALO brunch? I also plan to relax in the room a lot but will dine in the dining room with my daughter.

Thanks, everyone! This tips/tricks really help. I'm still nervous about dining alone, but that's a fear I'm just going to have to conquer. Next question is, which cruise am I going to book?

It's funny but over the years I have found that some people can't stand to go to the movies alone (that's fine if not preferable to me) and then there's some people who don't like to eat alone! But it seems like it's usually one or the other. It's true that no one is really looking at you, they are looking at their food! That said, I'm going to eat at Cabanas. Smaller place, table service. With the main dining rooms, for ME, it just takes SO long! Otherwise a book or a magazine for company is fine with me.

I didn't sign up for Palo anything. Mostly because I looked at the menu and didn't see anything I couldn't live without. The brunch looked great BUT simply too much food!

I was on a Carnival ship a couple of years ago, helping out a friend who was stuck paying for the cabin on her own. I hated it. It was an old ship with weird decorations and it was heading into drydock after that cruise so they were already working on it. Watched the Disney Magic from my pathetic balcony at the port and so wished I was arriving in one of their cool yellow buses with the port holes . . .

Anyway, I skipped out on the main dining room there, too. The food everywhere was really good, though. They had a stir fry station, a reuben place . . . but it did seem like everyone was there JUST to eat? I know I won't starve by skipping dinner in the main dining room. I'm an adult. I can eat SOFT SERVE ICE CREAM for dinner! Maybe I'll bring my own sprinkles . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter