Best guidebook(s) for planning WDW trip

CyndiLooWho

DIS Veteran
I'm a paper book kind of gal, and having a big travel guide in my hands makes vacation seem more real. I am planning an off-site stay in June 2018, probably 3-4 park days, since the kids want 2 days at Kennedy Space Center. It's been a while since we visited WDW, the last few Orlando trips have been to Universal. Besides these highly informative boards, which guidebooks do you like best and why?

Also, any tips for doing WDW with 2 older teen boys who love Star Wars, Indiana Jones, GotG, but not so much princesses and stuff? One thrill rider, one non-thrills guy. Our favorites from last trip (8 yrs ago) were TSMM, Test Track, and LMA.

We Love Passporter's Walt Disney World. Cool book, lots of information and pictures and a section to write down your itinerary and reservations too. They put a new one out every year.

We Love Passporter's Walt Disney World. Cool book, lots of information and pictures and a section to write down your itinerary and reservations too. They put a new one out every year.

Sadly they aren't doing print versions right now. I found out the hard way and had to cancel my pre-order.

For a book, I like Birnbaum's Official guide. I like it because of the pictures and light reading. If I want detailed, up-to-date information, it's here on the Dis. So in a guidebook, I prefer style over substance.

If you do decide to get The Unofficial Guide, I suggest getting book in paperback. I bought it three or four years ago and finding specific items difficult.

For this trip I used the Unofficial Guide and the Easy Guide.

The Unofficial Guide remains my favorite for the past 19 years and I've read them all.

I did like Passporter's in addition to it, but can't find it anymore.

I bought Birnbaum's this year and it's too much "rah rah." I may not always agree with Unofficial, but I never get the feeling they're on Disney's payroll, either.

Passporter's online, constantly-updated guides are great so don't write them off. Unofficial Guide is great also.

i am an unofficial guide person. i do like the specific info they give. but its more like an encyclopedia than a easy to read travel guide. i read josh's book easy guide and found it too superficial though it is written for the first timer and serves its purpose. much info can be gotten from online sites

Unofficial is good, but it is HUGE! It's over 800 pages thick, so it's a little unwieldy. They also have a "Mini Mickey" version, but it was last updated sometime in 2016, so there's a lot of stuff, namely things from this year, missing from it. Mini Mickey is also missing a lot of the restaurant section, which I find important, as well.

Easy Guide is a good in-between. It's no where near as thick as Unofficial, but has much of the same information.

Passporters was my go-to on my last trip. Sadly, they've decided to no longer do a print version.

https://www.passporter.com/walt-disney-world-guidebook.php (bottom of the page)

Wondering about print editions? Our plan is to release PassPorter's Walt Disney World 2018 as the LIVE! Guide (and PDF) only. This is due to the general decline of print books, which have brought us to the point where a print run is no longer feasible. This does not mean we won't be able to offer PassPorter's Walt Disney World in print in the future, just not for the foreseeable future. We are investigating print on demand and micro print runs for the benefit of our passholders and supporters. Alas, print is no longer the best way for PassPorter to reach people[...]!

Thanks for the suggestions :) I have ordered the print version of the Unofficial Guide, even though it's huge. I've used their guide for UO the last two trips and really liked it. It will be my tangible reminder that my husband is on board with Disney and we're really going.

I also downloaded the Easy Guide to my Kindle, and I'm not liking it yet. We are staying offsite in June and I think every other paragraph I've read so far is all about staying on site during specific non-busy times, Period. Less than 2 pages dedicated to offsite stays. It's a little bit of a turn-off to keep hearing that we're not doing it right, when we have very valid reasons for doing it the way we are. I haven't gotten to the section on fast passes and ride scheduling, which is going to be our big thing, so maybe it will change my mind.

The above is making me think about getting the Kindle version of the Passporter book, to have something portable to read / daydream with at the office...

Regardless, thank all of you for your suggestions. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as we work through the planning stages of this trip. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!