Best lodging for family of 5 visiting MK and AK in February?

mirak

Mouseketeer
I've got 2 adults and 3 kids coming to Orlando in February. We need lodging for three nights from Tuesday, February 12, checking out on Friday, February 15. We'll be visiting Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom (no park hopper) on that Wednesday and Thursday.

I'm not opposed to staying on property, but I also don't consider it a priority. I doubt we'll need access to Extra Magic Hours (only MK has an evening EMH during this time frame) but that would be a nice option to have.

What I am looking for is good value lodging that has the following:
1. Relatively close to MK and AK and has free and convenient transportation to the parks.
2. Free airport shuttle if possible. We can uber from the airport if necessary, but I don't plan to rent a car until after Disney.
3. Given the size of our family, I'd prefer something a bit larger than a standard 2Q hotel room. We prefer a suite partitioned into a bedroom and sitting area with sleeper sofa if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not sure if you'll find anything that meets all those criteria. Maybe look at the "Good Neighbor" hotels that WDW has agreements with.

Not sure I'd want to rely on shuttles to get me too/from the parks, not to mention the airport. Just rent a car.

You’re right, there’s nothing off property with a free airport shuttle. Not a huge deal - just gotta factor in that cost.

I did find a property called Buena Vista Suites near Disney Springs that looked like a pretty good deal. 2Q + Sleeper Sofa Suites, free buffet breakfast, and shuttles to the Disney Transportation Center for about $240/night all in.

But then I went over to Disney and found they are selling rooms at the mid-level Caribbean Beach resort for - little less. The rooms are a bit smaller than the suites but the 2 queen beds plus pull-down kiddy bed should sleep the whole family. It’s just a place to sleep. Plus gives me the free airport shuttle, park shuttles, and the option of adding the quick service dining plan.

The dining plan will actually save me some money if I do it right, and I think I can. So I guess I’ll be staying on property after all unless anyone has better ideas.

Three nights lodging, two days single-park tickets, and the QSDP for 2 adults and 3 kids runs me $2,300 all in. That’s actually not too bad?

I'm cheap. We stay off property, usually about 10 minutes away and have a 3 or 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo or townhouse for about $100-$125/night all in. We're a family of 5 too, and love having all the space and conveniences of home.

You’re right, there’s nothing off property with a free airport shuttle. Not a huge deal - just gotta factor in that cost.

I did find a property called Buena Vista Suites near Disney Springs that looked like a pretty good deal. 2Q + Sleeper Sofa Suites, free buffet breakfast, and shuttles to the Disney Transportation Center for about $240/night all in.

But then I went over to Disney and found they are selling rooms at the mid-level Caribbean Beach resort for - little less. The rooms are a bit smaller than the suites but the 2 queen beds plus pull-down kiddy bed should sleep the whole family. It’s just a place to sleep. Plus gives me the free airport shuttle, park shuttles, and the option of adding the quick service dining plan.

The dining plan will actually save me some money if I do it right, and I think I can. So I guess I’ll be staying on property after all unless anyone has better ideas.

Three nights lodging, two days single-park tickets, and the QSDP for 2 adults and 3 kids runs me $2,300 all in. That’s actually not too bad?

I think that's a lot of cash for 2 park days & 3 nights in a cramped room. Sorry! :flower3:

I've got 2 adults and 3 kids coming to Orlando in February. We need lodging for three nights from Tuesday, February 12, checking out on Friday, February 15. We'll be visiting Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom (no park hopper) on that Wednesday and Thursday.

I'm not opposed to staying on property, but I also don't consider it a priority. I doubt we'll need access to Extra Magic Hours (only MK has an evening EMH during this time frame) but that would be a nice option to have.

What I am looking for is good value lodging that has the following:
1. Relatively close to MK and AK and has free and convenient transportation to the parks.
2. Free airport shuttle if possible. We can uber from the airport if necessary, but I don't plan to rent a car until after Disney.
3. Given the size of our family, I'd prefer something a bit larger than a standard 2Q hotel room. We prefer a suite partitioned into a bedroom and sitting area with sleeper sofa if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Given the limitations of your demands, a suite at the Disney Art of Animation or All-Star Music is likely your best bet.

The Doubletree in Disney Springs doesn't have a free airport shuttle, but does have a bus to the parks. It has bigger rooms than some of the other Disney Springs hotels.

The array of roomy and affordable accommodations would increase substantially if you rent a car.

DVC Villa's (1 bedroom) have the layout you're requesting plus a kitchen and in-room laundry.

Most DVC Studios have 1 bed + sitting area with sofa bed, but it is not separated. Many also have an additional murphy bed for 1. You also get a kitchenette in a studio.

Direct thru Disney, these won't be cheap but packages with dining deals or other offers / discounts may be avail.

You could rent points, but at this late date, you're likely only going to find availability at Saratoga Springs resort. A 1 bedroom will run you $1400-1500 for your dates. A studio (if available) $6-700. Room only. Can add dining (full price).

I'm cheap. We stay off property, usually about 10 minutes away and have a 3 or 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo or townhouse for about $100-$125/night all in. We're a family of 5 too, and love having all the space and conveniences of home.

I’m cheap, too. But the tickets alone cost $1,100! The other $1,200 works out $400/night for lodging, transportation, and food, for a family of 5. I could maybe piece that all together for $300 a night if I staid off property with a car rental and budget dining, but I can’t discount the convenience factor of the package deal.

For short trips we usually stay at the Flamingo Crossings hotels. We usually pay around $150 a night and it includes free breakfast. Hotel rates fluctuate quite a bit. We usually don't plan our short trips until the last minute.

If you are looking for value, the short trip you are planning is much more expensive (per day) than a long trip. Disney tickets are front-loaded with cost. It's also easier to find a 2 bedroom timeshare unit for a week than just 3 days. Also, for short stays, you pay a premium for those places as well.

If you are looking for value, the short trip you are planning is much more expensive (per day) than a long trip. Disney tickets are front-loaded with cost.

True in one sense, but false in another. If all we really want is two days in the parks, then buying more days at a cheaper price per day isn’t really “value” at all. It’s the classic coupon fallacy of buying more of something, or buying something you otherwise wouldn’t, just to “save.”

We are booked at one of the Flamingo Crossings hotels that week. We have a rate of $109 for the Townplace Suites but I booked it several months ago. May be worth looking into. I’m not sure what the rates would be now.

We pay for the discount den with Frontier and then wait for a sale. We got tickets for the 4 of us, including cheap seats & 2 checked bags for under $500 round trip. Because it was so cheap we decided to extend our stay and booked CBR through undercovertourist for $130 a night. We did find a great deal on vacationcentralflorida.com which was fine. The beds were too firm for me and the place was very dated but for the cost it was a great deal. $760 for 10 nights. Because we saved so much money on tickets and the condo we were able to rent a car no problem. Be very mindful of the tolls. That ended up screwing us up because I didn't have cash and the Dollar rental car policy for unpaid tolls sucks.

If I'm off site, I'm renting a car. Most of the off-site shuttle services are ok, but many of them are not free, or their travel times are very limited. My husband and I, on our very first trip together when we were dating, January 2005 we stayed at a Days Inn and used their timed shuttle service (with their insane and memorable driver). Back then the parks were dead and it was just 2 of us so that was fine... now I'm hauling 3 little kids around, busier parks, and timed shuttles are not my jam.

We're a family of 5.... if I'm off site, I like places like Embassy Suites, Buena Vista Village Resort & Spa -- I'd also look into Hilton Doubletree Suites, Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Or grabbing a townhouse. But I'd have a car.

I'm going to be on site coming up soon... so we didn't get a car, saved up for free flights with our Rapid Rewards credit card, and staying at Caribbean Beach for $167/night. This saved us a bunch because like you said... the tickets for 5 people are the big cost (and even those I purchased at discount on Undercover Tourist, buy 4 days get 2 free). The suites at the values have a little more breathing room but they were much more expensive for us. But I saved $400 on a minivan rental, I don't have to worry about how we're getting to and from the airport, etc.

I saw the Cars Family Suite at Art of Animation on a Hotwire hot rate for $189 a night when I was poking around the site yesterday. Under bedding choices, it actually said, "Cars family suite."

That's pretty good! When I was looking they were much more. I didn't care for the look of the rooms so if I were paying more I'd do Embassy or something and get free breakfasts and happy hours out of the deal instead (but then have to rent car). It's all a dance, each trip is different for us.

That's pretty good! When I was looking they were much more. I didn't care for the look of the rooms so if I were paying more I'd do Embassy or something and get free breakfasts and happy hours out of the deal instead (but then have to rent car). It's all a dance, each trip is different for us.

I'd rather stay at Embassy Suites too!!!

For 5 people, I'd rent something, maybe at Windsor Hills and rent a car. As @Klayfish mentioned early in this thread, if you stay offsite, rent a car!

I think you might be able to get something like Buena Vista Suites a little cheaper
Dreams Unlimited Sponsors these boards
https://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/bvsuites/index.htm

I tried the Dreams Unlimited website and it leads nowhere so I called the 800 number on the site which lead to the Mariott who knew nothing about what I was talking about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts