Best Resort Restaurant....need advice!

Micka Mouse

Mouseketeer
Update! Narrowed down to O'Hana and Whispering Canyon......Kids will be 16 and 13, if that matters......opinions please!!!

Hi!
I'm looking for RESORT lunch and dinner recommendations. Character is ok....don't want anything fancy. Kids are 15 and 12. I am thinking of Disney's Spirit of Aloha. Does Disney still do the Hoop Dee Doo Revue? or Mickey's Backyard Barbecue? Any and all recommendations welcome!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi!
I'm looking for RESORT lunch and dinner recommendations. Character is ok....don't want anything fancy. Kids are 15 and 12. I am thinking of Disney's Spirit of Aloha. Does Disney still do the Hoop de Doo Review? or Mickey's Backyard Barbecue? Any and all recommendations welcome!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!
I recommend Hoop Dee Doo Revue for your family.

Whispering Canyon cafe at Wilderness Lodge. The boat ride there and back is so nice, and it somehow doesn't feel all that crowded even when busy (maybe the tables are further apart than most other restaurants at WDW?)

In no particular order:

O'Hana
Whispering Canyon
Olivia's

Have had meals at all three and was not disappointed.

Since, HDDR and Spirit of Aloha involve entertainment, I did not include them as a place to have just dinner. I have done Spirit of Aloha twice. The food is excellent and served family style. The Entertainment is ok, but not great. I always suggest to people to do the show, unless they potentially may actually go to Hawaii, then to hold out for the real thing. HDDR, I have not attended (have reservations in May), but have heard it is a hoot.

I have never done HDDR either, but I will say that we didn't enjoy the Spirit of Aloha. Didn't really care for the food and the entertainment was just okay. I would prefer Ohana over it. The kids might enjoy Whispering Canyon Café.

In this order

Jiko (expensive and fancy) best place in WDW
Ohana's my families favorite
Boma OMG the food selection
Whispering Canyon Café good food and the antics are incredible.

Our least favorite experience in all of WDW in all the years we've been going was Spirit of Aloha...
HDDR, and Mickey's BYBBBQ are great.
Your kids also might enjoy 1900 Park Faire for dinner, the step sisters are a hoot!
Doesn't matter if the kids are boys or girls. They are funny!

We love both HDDR and SoA. We've been to SoA 3x and highly recommend the late show since the fire looks way cooler after dark. We only did HDDR once and wouldn't do it again, but loved it. It's not repeatable to us. Sanaa is good for lunch. You can see the animals while you eat. Ohana is yum, but my daughter hated it when she was young. She's older now and we're trying it again on our next trip. Boma is good for a variety since it's a ginormous buffet. Kona was good, but I'm not sure if younger kids would like it. The Wave was also yummy, but seems to feel a bit fancier to me. I think those are the only resort restaurants we've tried.

Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Ft. Wilderness
Kona Cafe, Polynesian Village
Ohana, Polynesian Village
Beaches & Cream, Beach Club
Ale & Compass, Yacht Club
Cape May Cafe, Beach Club
Boardwalk Pizza Window Quick Serve, Boardwalk Inn

Cape May Café is great for dinner if you have seafood lovers... my boys loved the buffet and ate a TON of crab legs.
Whispering Canyon is very entertaining and if you are big eaters, the skillet is a good choice.
I'm putting The Wave on my list for breakfast on our next trip - I haven't been there yet, but they have a choice between a buffet or ordering off the menu, and MIMOSAS! :-)

Hi!
I'm looking for RESORT lunch and dinner recommendations. Character is ok....don't want anything fancy. Kids are 15 and 12. I am thinking of Disney's Spirit of Aloha. Does Disney still do the Hoop Dee Doo Revue? or Mickey's Backyard Barbecue? Any and all recommendations welcome!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!
We've eaten at these places. Most had decent food and a casual atmosphere.
Cape May Buffet at Beach Club- seafood and other food for dinner
Big River Grill and Brewing Works on the Boardwalk
Grand Floridian Cafe
Kona Cafe at Polynesian
Ale and Compass at Yacht Club
The Wave at the Contemporary
Chef Mickey's ( only did breakfast) , but a fun time with characters

I love HDDR...it's must do for our family.
Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL is great too.

There is also Trails End at Fort Wilderness that is probably the cheapest buffet on property. It's a great break from MK.

Next trip I really want to try Sanaa.

Our least favorite experience in all of WDW in all the years we've been going was Spirit of Aloha...
HDDR, and Mickey's BYBBBQ are great.
Your kids also might enjoy 1900 Park Faire for dinner, the step sisters are a hoot!
Doesn't matter if the kids are boys or girls. They are funny!
Thanks! We took the kids to 1900 Park Fare years ago...the stepsisters were so much fun!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter