Best San Diego Beaches and other items?

wink13

Just a bit Goofy
I will be attending a conference in San Diego in October and staying at the Catamaran Resort on Mission Bay. My Spouse and 2 boys (12 & 7) are coming along to play while I'm in meetings. They will be going to SD Zoo and Sea World but my wife really want to hang out at the beach a couple of days. Any suggestions on the best beaches for families in San Diego? Also,
I heard of a beach were you can see Seals is this true and if so where is it?
:confused3

Any good places to eat in the area? Boys love seafood and mexican.

We will be ending our trip with a day at Disneyland and DCA but I'm more familar with that area.

Thanks.

I'm particular to La Jolla shores myself. Its one of the ritzier parts of San Diego. You can find directions here:

http://www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/beaches/shores.shtml

As far as mexican food in the area, my favorite shop is actually very close to Mission Valley and Sea World. Its called JV's. It is looks like a hole-in-wall shop but it is VERY good and very cheap! My favorite is the surf-and-turf burrito but be forewarned it not huge but HUMONGOUS. You can find directions here:

http://www.jvsmexicanfood.com/contact.htm

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Coronado right next to the Del was voted Best Family Beach in the US by travel channel. :thumbsup2 It has nice sand and small waves. There are some rocks to climb on too.

Here is a link to the review.

You can see the seals at the Children's Pool in La Jolla.

We stayed at the Catamaran 2 summers ago. The beach is right across the road from the hotel. It is a busy road but you can walk a little to cross at the light. The beach is wide and great for swimming, lots of lifeguard stations (you have to swim where they are). We walked over every day and brought boogie boards and had a great time.

La Jolla is beautiful and is a short drive away. You can park and walk on a walkway and see the seals, etc. We did this one morning and really enjoyed it.

I can't comment on Coronado since we didn't go there. Next trip I guess.

The location of the Catamaran is great, it is centrally located and easy to get to the freeway.

Yay, San Diego! Yeah, Coronado would be a good one too!

Oh, didn't even notice that you were staying at the Catamaran. I saw Mexican food and said yummm!

I would have to agree that Catamaran is a nice resort too. You should really enjoy your stay there. I almost had my wedding reception there but parking did not seem ample for my wedding size... but I digress!

The Catamaran is really a resort (not just a hotel) located in Pacific Beach. What's really cool about the Catamaran is that in front of the Catamaran, across Mission Boulevard is Pacific Beach and behind the resort is Mission bay so it is actually located in between to large bodies of water and thus two beaches.

I do have to say that Pacific beach is not the most family friendly park as a lot young people tend to hang out there and party (not that I have done that myself :rolleyes1 ). This is pretty true for that entire area - Pacific/Mission beach. There are many bars in the area and really has evolved into a place where the college crowd hangs out and parties (not that I have done that myself :rolleyes1 ).

I can't say much about the stretch of Mission Bay behind it. The beach there may or may not be exclusive to the Catamaran, you're going to have to find out. When I toured the property and the banquet rooms, the beach seemed pretty desolate so it may in fact be Catamaran property. The sunsets from the banquet room are exquisite and I really pictured myself walking down that stretch of sand hand-in-hand with my wife.

That being said, your family should really enjoy their stay at the Catamaran. Hopefully, you'll have access to private beach right in back of the resort. If not La Jolla and Coronado would be my picks.

Hope it works out! Have fun while in SD!

I just stayed at the Catamaran in April. Its awesome. As posted above you can't beat the location. You won't have to wander far to find water as the bay is adjacent to the resort and Mission Beach is across the street. Pacific Beach is actually one of my favorite beaches.

The drive up to La Jolla is worth it to see the sea lions. The cove is neat. If the boys want to climb and run and play in the tide pools try the cliffs at sunset beach.

At the resort beach on the bay side, there are boat rentals and the bay is really quiet. We built sand castles and even flew a kite.

There are great lounge chairs for resort guests only. The onsite restaurant is good to. I recommend having dinner out on the patio timed to watch the fireworks from Sea World. DD6 really enjoyed that. But you can even just watch them from the beach there.

Have a great time!

Great advise. Looking forward to the trip, I just wish I didn't have the meeting and could play along all week.

Thanks again.

Hi!
We love the Catamaran.I grew up going with my parents taking me every summer. Now my husband and i are taking our son for the 3rd summer in a row.We actually leave Sunday.Can't wait.

As far as mexican right next to the hotel(as you walk out turn left out of the parking lot)is a small casual walk up restaurant.La Playa...........We love their food.We have eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner there.There is also in walking distance a restraunt called world famous which we love too!!

Have Fun!!

The beach at the Hotel Del Coronado is quite nice.

Woody

To see seals, the beaches around La Jolla are the best.
To see S.E.A.L.s, then Coronado is the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter