Best sandals for fussy feet?

I remember when I was a kid growing up near Disneyland. Ran around the park all day in cheap sandals or tennis shoes.
Now, turning 62 and my feet are fussy, if I don’t have the right arch planters fasciitis kicks up. If there is any rubbing I get hot spots and blisters. We are going in October, and I have ordered 10 different pairs trying to find ones that will go the distance. Rainbows flip flops do well, but I’d like to find a sandal with a heel strap.
The Clarks are comfy but cause rubbing on the soles of my feet. The chacos straps chafe. The Eccos are too stiff in the sole. The keens are too confining. I can tape up the princess feet with moleskin but am looking for a better solution. I do take my vionic sneakers but my feet get hot. Your go to in 2020?
I have wide feet and a very high arch. I also broke my left food 15 years ago, and have developed arthritis there. I had a terrible case of plantar fasciitis after that and got custom orthotics for my shoes and slippers. I can't really wear the orthotics in sandals or flip flops, so it took me quite a while to find a solution.

Yellow Box flip flops are very cushiony and comfortable accommodating my high arch. They are wide enough without me having to buy a wide size. They are bejeweled and beautiful. You can get them in every color and multiple styles. They even have them for brides. They have become my go-to sandals for every event in the summer.

61A5F1DD-AD43-4F8A-BBF5-2C47D38CD66A.jpeg967E11FD-D79B-4483-B789-24BBEB9625DC.jpeg

Last edited:
I have flat feet so I try to get sandals with some arch support and have found Ecco to work great for me. Still wear my New Balance or Brooks most of the time because I can pit my orthotic insoles in them but if I need a break I’ll switch to the Ecco. Also remember whatever decide to wear try to wear them for a few days ahead and find the hot spots, cover them with some moleskin to help keep blisters away. I always have a baggie with multiple band aids with me.

I’m not sure if the arch support would be enough for you, but for all the other things, I love my sanuk yoga slings. I have wide feet and hate shoes rubbing, and the stretchy cloth straps really help with all day wear.

I love my Birkenstocks. As a prior poster stated, do not wear them to a park right out of the box. They take a few months to wear them in properly.

For wet days, I like crocks.

Everyone is different but Teva Verra are the only sandals that work for me. I have small toe issues (toe curls) so I need a flat shoe but with good support.

The chacos straps chafe.

It's so true! I've had a pair for years as I saw them recommended on so many forums because they're a great option on hot trips where there might be some walking/hiking. It took my feet some time to get used to them though so had to wear clear blister plasters for a bit. But it's every time I start wearing them again, I have to almost break them/my feet into them. On the upside, they should last me many years...

I love my Tevas. They dry quickly, are comfy for me, and don't leave blisters. Biggest truth from above, always make sure your shoes are well broken in. I bring probably 4 pairs of shoes so I can rotate them out to prevent blisters and wear crocs or socks or flip flops around the room.

If Vionics provide the support you need I'd go with Vionic sandals. I have a few of their different styles and they're all comfortable and give the support I need all day. I prefer a sandal with a backstrap for the parks myself so I have a pair of Vionics with that.

I wear Chacos and Birkenstocks. I bring both with me to WDW and switch out my shoes, including my sneakers with orthopedic insole. I also bring gallon sized ziplocks which I fill with ice for mid day breaks or at the end of the day.

I’ve gotten about 10 different pairs to try! Most of the Tevas don’t have enough arch support or the strap is too close to my foot. The Tireas are great for the sole, but the straps are stiff. Any tips for how to break in quickly?

Any tips for how to break in quickly?
I don't know about quickly, but breaking them in by walking around the block, out for groceries and errands, etc will help and will also begin to condition you and your feet for your vacation. Good luck!

Not a sandal, but the best shoes I've worn to Disney are allbirds. Their "tree" fabric is super lightweight and breathable. I've worn them all over Disney for 7 10-12 hour days in a row and never had a blister. Even straight out of the box with no breaking in they're great!

I can only wear Keen’s Whispers when walking all day. I have tried others Keen’s but the Whisper is right for my feet. I have 6 pairs In various colors just in case they discontinue them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter