Best shoes for kids?

DisneyFan09

DIS Veteran
What kind of shoes should I get for 7 & 8 y.o. dd's? We will be there in Oct. and the weather should be warm so I think sandals would be best. Should I get them ones that are like running shoes on the bottom or a cork bottom? The Land's End catalog had some of each kind, very cute and affordable but they don't really give a description of their uses.

The last time we went they were 3 and 4 so they spent a lot of time in the stroller. This time will be much different for their little feet so I really want to get them the best that I can. Any opinions?

..but I have both types of sandals and I find my runner-type sandals (which are Nike and were only $20 on sale!) to be WAY more comfortable than my "birkenstock-type" sandals with the cork bottom. I think if you can find good runner-type sandals it may be a better choice. The sole gives more cushioning (I find.) As well, I can tighten the straps better than the leather straps on my other sandals, and that seems to provide more support. Lastly, they are fine when they get wet - very important on Kali River or other such rides!

But the best is if your daughters can try them on and see how they fit. Nothing worse than a bad pair of shoes. You might want to get them earlier in the summer so that they can wear them in a bit.

I agree. I have both and took both with me this past June. My cork bottom Birkenstocks were comfortable to start with, but after a while, they didn't feel that good. The next day I wore my Nike cushioned sandels and felt a lot better.

Definitely buy them about 2 months ahead of time (at least) and let them wear them everywhere. That way not only will they be used to the fit, but you will also be able to see any places that rub.

One thing to be careful of with sandals for kids that age - open toes! My daughter had a pair of very comfy Nike water sandals that worked well for the water parks - but she would stub her toes on the concrete in the parks sometimes. For the parks, she would wear her rubber soled leather sandals that had straps at the tops. We traveled during December this year, and she did better with her thick rubber soled leather school shoes than sneakers. Whatever she prefers to wear for regular playing should work - Sarah's always preferred her buckle shoes - I make sure to get ones with flexible soles and good support.

My DD has been wearing Tevas to WDW for several years. I buy them at an Ebleans but you can get them at Zappos.com too. Happy planning!

My boys have been wearing the Birkenstock Roma sandals for years. They are opened toe with a backstrap and cork footbed. They love them. I always wear my Birks at WDW, as well.
Cork footbeds are more comfortable, if they are "broken" in. I usually order theirs from BirkenstockCentral.com. Our Sam's Club currently has the adult sizes for only $39.95. I got two new pairs for myself. ;)

Our kids, like us.... wear running shoes in the parks for several reasons. Comfort, obviously, is #1. Other reasons include.... drying time, no toe stubbing, lightweight, and NO SUNBURN.

Be careful with sandals if you are not used to wearing them. You might end up with striped red and white feet! :eek:

Whatever they are used to is what you should stick with. My girls like the softer nike type sandals but we usually wear good sneakers to the parks. If your going to try sandals be sure and try them out ALOT before the trip and have a backup "trusty" pair available just in case.

Whatever is broken-in and comfortable is what we go with. Even in August my girls were fine with sneakers and socks at the parks -but we took pool breaks in mid afternoon.

TJ

We have always worn our athletic running shoes for our trips to the parks. These along with thick white cotton socks to absorb the moisture from your feet. We also lightly powder our feet with Johnson's Baby Cornstarch Powder to cut down on moisture that will cause blisters and irritation.

DH and I have Nike straprunners and I got them for my 3dds - aged 9,9, and 6. We wore them for two trips(Feb and Aug) last year, and have new ones broken in ready to go next week. I also pack regular running shoes for all of us, mostly to wear at night.

No matter which you choose, the key is to wear them well ahead of your trip so they are "broken in." Haven't had a blister yet on any of our trips!

my shoe tip would be to take 2 comfy pairs and alternate days - even the most comfy shoe starts to become uncomfortable after a few days of constant wear.

We also kept a pair of sandals in the car, it was wonderful to get back to the car and change into a fresh pair of shoes.

and if there is any chance of rain, then you don't want to be wearing socks and trainers - my worst shoe day was one where it rained for only about half an hour. My dh and dd had sandals which were dry within an hour, I squelched around in my wet sneakers for the rest of the day.

Bev

Last year we bought DS a pair of Teva sandals. I actually didn't intend to buy him Teva sandals, but who knew Stride Rite would be practically sold out of boy's sandals in the beginning of May??!! Anyway, the sandals were expensive, but he wore them literally every day last summer. We did not hear one "My feet hurt!!" out of him the whole time at WDW, and by the end of the summer, those shoes looked like they were hardly worn.
Hope that helps!

Ann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter